Author Topic: Water Balloons ??  (Read 2679 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Water Balloons ??
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
A properly made foil cartridge, well tamped into the chamber, should give you close to the maximum "BOOM!"  I doubt that you could really tell any difference without equipment.  When we have live fired the Ordnance Rifle I babysit, I don't notice much difference between that and a blank of the same weight. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »
Carmy53,
I salute your resolve in attempting to broaden our base of knowledge concerning the physics of artillery. Thanks for posting the vid and stills. That one pic made me think of a farmer trying to put an egg back into a hen.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:45 AM »
Carmy53,
I salute your resolve in attempting to broaden our base of knowledge concerning the physics of artillery. Thanks for posting the vid and stills. That one pic made me think of a farmer trying to put an egg back into a hen.
More than happy to help. With the Fourth coming up I might try the experiment again if I can find an appropriately sized balloon.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
Carmy53,

Dammit! Gotta clean my screen and dry out my keyboard now.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
Now I could believe a city child (you know, the ones who don't make the connection between Big Macs and cows) might try that but not a farmer.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
 I suppose you could try one of them long balloons that clowns use to make animals out of. IIRC, the closed end filled up 1st when I tried them with water (been a long time). Put it into the bore, fill with a turkey baster and tie it off.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:56 AM »
Or a balloon inside a balloon ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I suppose you could try one of them long balloons that clowns use to make animals out of. IIRC, the closed end filled up 1st when I tried them with water (been a long time). Put it into the bore, fill with a turkey baster and tie it off.

Victor,
I had the exact same thought (except for opting to fill it slowly with a garden hose). One of the long balloons that they'd stretch out first before blowing up to form the neck of a giraffe, or body of a dachshund would be perfect.   

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
I'll give that a try but somehow it doesn't seem right going to ToysRUS for my cannon supplies. :o

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
Water balloons are so fragile you might extinguish the powder before the water exited the bore.   ::)

What if you froze them?? ::)
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
Then you would have dangerous projectiles.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline keith44

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
Then you would have dangerous projectiles.

and zinc balls that are the size of golf balls are safe???  ::) ::)

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
And don't forget the steel Fox golf balls.

But the OP was asking about getting more bang from a salute load.  The water balloon was proposed as something that would provide greater resistance without having a potentially dangerous projectile in a noise making situation.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Mauser M67

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »
Hello .. The point is to build up pressure quickly in a secure way that gives a good bang. where there are no fragments or projectiles that are dangerous.
I use flour as wads, with good results.
Mvh

Oyvind

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 03:24:21 AM »
Thanks Oyvind, some common sense out of  non sense.

Offline arrrg

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »
I tried a few ounces of creamora packed in aluminum foil. I hoped the creamora would enhance the flash at night but saw no noticable change beyond what would be expected with any wadding. I always use extra long fuses when experimenting.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
I tried a few ounces of creamora packed in aluminum foil. I hoped the creamora would enhance the flash at night but saw no noticable change beyond what would be expected with any wadding. I always use extra long fuses when experimenting.

If I understood this correctly, packing the creamora in aluminum foil probably turned it into a projectile as the package may not have ruptured.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
Well, I performed the "water balloon as wadding" experiment again this morning. This time I found some balloons that were a lttle thicker which allowed me to push the balloon all the way down on to the powder. When I fired the mortar the sound was much better than the last time but it seemed more like a "crack" instead of a "boom". I thought the sound was less than what I usually get so I fired off a golf ball and I was right - the water balloon muffled the sound by about half.

My final conclusion is that if you wanted to fire your mortar/cannon in a residential area and wanted to be safe (eg. no projectile and no flaming embers) then using a water balloon as wadding seems reasonable. YMMV

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 05:13:37 AM »
Excellent effort, carmy53, far above and beyond the call of duty! We should have some kind of Nobel (Cat Whisperer Award) prize for ordnance research of this caliber.

Offline Delkal

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
My favorite "projectile" for a blank load is a piece of a T-shirt.  I always swab the chamber of my GB mortar between shots with a damp piece of a T-shirt (about a 1/4 piece).  Not soaking wet ... just damp enough to kill any embers.  Just for fun at the end of the day I loaded it, gently tapped it down,  and fired it.   It was extremely loud!  The T-shirt only goes about 30 feet,  it rapidly opens and quickly stops.  Plus, it is self extinguishing and not a fire hazard.   You can recover it and use it again for a number of shots before it is too tattered.

Edit:  I don't want to HIJACK this thread so I started another thread on Favorite projectiles for blanks.