Author Topic: Shooting my Encore  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
Shooting my Encore
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
When i got my Encore, it had a black synthetic stock and stainless 308 barrel. Took it to the range and shot it about 20 times and every time i shot it the dang thing wouldnt open. Got to talkin to the guy i got it from and he said maybe it was headspace? Im no gunsmith so i dunno, but i wanted a different caliber anyway.

So i posted a want ad for a 358 win barrel and came up with a 16" example. Then i posted a want ad for a wood stock and a feller pm'd me with a Boyds thumbhole laminate. Then i sold my 35 remington handi rifle to pay for it all along with 150 pcs of new brass, dies, and a couple humdred bullets.

Got everything in, loaded up some rounds and headed to the range. The forend needed a little fitting so i left it off and shot the gun a couple times. It was hard to open too, so off to the gunsmith i go. He said it wasnt the headspacing but it looked loke it had some nrass around the firing pin. No doubt from dragging it open. Also needed him to fit the forend. Well i left it with him saturday. He called tuesday and said it was ready, so fast forward to today...

Grab my hear and head to the range, get setup and shoot a few rounds. Still wanting to stick when opening. More on that in a minute.

Im shooting a blued frame, laminate stock and 16" blued barrel with ports.

Loads i tried that it liked are below (all using winchester brass, cci 200 primers, and 200 gr Hornady spire points):

Im gonna load up 6 more to try saturday. It also shot 4064 decently. Gonna run a few more of those too just to rule them out. 

Now for the sticking. I think the hammer pin is sticking out. It has a 38 lb hammer spring. Anyone have trouble like this? The primer actually has drag marks when that happens. Need a harder primer? Softer spring? I mean it is literally work to get the rifle open afyer firing it.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
Re: Shooting my Encore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:43:15 AM »
Are the brass cases new or resized from another firearm?  I've had an occasional problems with using once fired brass from other firearms, even after resizing.
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:26 AM »
Brand new
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
I would suspect your load is a bit too hot.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
It was doing it on my 308 barrel with factory ammo and im under max charge on my 358 loads
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline bull

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:10:57 AM »
Check to make sure the firing pin assembly is tight. It is held in with a screw from one side, tightens up with an allen wrench.

Offline treehugger

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
try pulling the firing pin block and check that the tip of the firing pin hasn't chipped and check the spring.mine was sticking and when i removed the block the inside was dirty causing the same problem after cleaning i noticed the end of the firing pi eas chipped and causing it to hang in the back of the primer.a call to tc and they sent me a new firing pin and spring.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
It was cleaned by a smith and the screw is tight. Will check and see if it is chipped. Thanks
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »
i called TC. they are sending me a prepaid shipping label. apparently Encores have a LIFETIME warranty... sweet!

stay tuned.
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Hopalong7

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
      All TC products have a lifetime warranty (at least, so far).  Life IS good!!!
Walt ;)

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
T/C just called. They sending me a new fre. Said something had stretched. Dont know what thats about but im getting a new frame. Cool
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!