Author Topic: NH town seeks compensation for Obama campaign stop  (Read 827 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
NH town seeks compensation for Obama campaign stop
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:20:32 AM »
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/NH-town-seeks-compensation-for-Obama-campaign-stop/-/9857858/15219392/-/bn5oop/-/index.html

DURHAM, N.H. - A New Hampshire town is asking for reimbursement from President Barack Obama's campaign to pay for public safety costs during his upcoming visit.

Durham officials say Obama's visit on Monday is expected to cost the town an extra $20,000 to $30,000 in overtime.

The town absorbs the costs associated with presidential visits, but says it shouldn't have to foot the bill for political campaigns - regardless of political party.

Town Administrator Todd Selig says the town has contacted the Obama for America campaign's New Hampshire office, but so far an agreement hasn't been reached for the campaign to reimburse the town for campaign-related costs.

Obama is scheduled to speak Monday at Durham's Oyster River High School.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
I kinda thought Romney's home state was Michigan and that he'd then lived awhile in Massachusetts....?
And I'd assume that they would only charge him for any actual costs incurred through overtime. Presidential security is a lot steeper than candidate security.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: NH town seeks compensation for Obama campaign stop
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
I kinda thought Romney's home state was Michigan and that he'd then lived awhile in Massachusetts....?
And I'd assume that they would only charge him for any actual costs incurred through overtime. Presidential security is a lot steeper than candidate security.

Correct!!

He has homes in other States as well, hardly makes them "Romney country"
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »
Well jeez, I grew up in 14 different states (Marine brat) if he picks me for VP we'd be a show in to win (based in the logic at work here).

Not quite sure what you're basing the belief that New Hampshire is "Romney Country" on. Any town I lived in that spent $30K on a campaign stop for any candidate, no matter the party, would sure be answering some questions if they didn't get the money back from the candidate. I see no support for claiming they wouldn't have billed Romney if he'd done something to cost them that much, but since he didn't it's hard to prove I guess.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
Romney has a summer home on Lake Winnepesaukee, I'm not sure if he has visited Durham yet but I'll be paying attention if he does. Romney is not a shoo in to win New Hampshire BTW. MANY people up here don't like him because they are all too familiar with the damage he did in Mass.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Rock6.3

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:32:14 AM »
I endorse the concept of making the nominees pay to clean up their messes during the campaign season.  As a taxpayer I do not want to be responsible for this burden.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:43:40 AM »
Amount of signage doesn't have a lot to do with number of voters. That's a function of how much you spent on signs.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »
the city has a choice to spend the money or NOT

what is the big deal??

if the city chose to spend money on your behave then billed you....how would that work?

people shouldn't be voting democrat anyway
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 06:11:18 AM »
I don't know that they do have a choice but to provide resources the Secret Service asks for. BUt as they pointed out, if it was a Presidential Visit and not a campaign stop it would be different.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
Anyway according to this, Romney may very likely establish NH residency....
http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2009/05/a_granite_state.php
...TM7
Did you check the date on that? That "speculation" was THREE YEARS AGO....

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
Romney didn't even win the Republican Primary in NH this year......

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »
Romney has a summer home on Lake Winnepesaukee, I'm not sure if he has visited Durham yet but I'll be paying attention if he does. Romney is not a shoo in to win New Hampshire BTW. MANY people up here don't like him because they are all too familiar with the damage he did in Mass.

Didn't they vote foe Obummer last time?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »

Yes

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
It will now become a non-story since an anonymous Moonbat offered to pay the town $20K to cover the costs. :o

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Donor-to-help-town-pay-for-Obama-visit/-/9857858/15219392/-/rb2ninz/-/index.html

DURHAM, N.H. -  A New Hampshire town has learned a donor will help pay for the public safety costs during an upcoming visit from President Barack Obama.

Town officials announced at a news conference on Sunday that an anonymous donor from Durham offered to pay up to $20,000 for the public safety costs.

Obama is scheduled to visit on Monday, and that is expected to cost the town an extra $20,000 to $30,000 in overtime.

The town absorbs the costs associated with presidential visits, but said it shouldn't have to foot the bill for political campaigns, regardless of political party.

Town administrator Todd Selig said the town has contacted the Obama for America campaign's New Hampshire office, but so far an agreement hasn't been reached for the campaign to reimburse the town for campaign-related costs.

An official with Obama's campaign said, as a private organization, Obama for America doesn't participate in security planning.

The campaign official said all decisions, including the costs incurred by federal, state and local governments are within the control of the appropriate government officials, and questions about expenses should be directed to the U.S. Secret Service.

The campaign official also said Obama for America will follow all rules and pay for the portion of travel related to political events.

Obama is scheduled to speak Monday at Durham's Oyster River High School.

"The excitement is palpable in our New Hampshire college town as the president prepares to visit on Monday. The warm welcome he will receive from our residents -- young, old, and in between -- in a packed high school gymnasium will leave no doubt that he picked the right place to come," a statement from the Town Council chairman said.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »

Yes

It makes sense to me that they are aware of the damage Romney did in Mass, being so close. My question to you is are they aware of the damage Obummer has done to them?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »
It makes sense to me that they are aware of the damage Romney did in Mass, being so close. My question to you is are they aware of the damage Obummer has done to them?

Yes, they are very aware. New Hampshire has an independent majority and doesn't blindly vote along party lines. A lot more libertarian than some states, we have no sales or income taxes and we're also one of the more gun friendly states in the US.

All of the conservatives and libertarians that I talk to here are completely disgusted by Obama and the damage he's done. They are equally disgusted by the damage Romney did in Mass and see him for the Massachusetts liberal that he is. I only know one person here that is actually excited about voting for Romney, everyone else I talk to is disgusted by the fact that those are the two choices.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:52 AM »
I don't know that they do have a choice but to provide resources the Secret Service asks for. BUt as they pointed out, if it was a Presidential Visit and not a campaign stop it would be different.

they  have a  choice

they represent the people that elected them
not the secret service

they make the work schedule
not the secret service
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »

Yes, they are very aware. New Hampshire has an independent majority and doesn't blindly vote along party lines. A lot more libertarian than some states, we have no sales or income taxes and we're also one of the more gun friendly states in the US.

All of the conservatives and libertarians that I talk to here are completely disgusted by Obama and the damage he's done. They are equally disgusted by the damage Romney did in Mass and see him for the Massachusetts liberal that he is. I only know one person here that is actually excited about voting for Romney, everyone else I talk to is disgusted by the fact that those are the two choices.

Me too!!