Author Topic: best varmint bullet for 7mm super mag  (Read 468 times)

Offline blksqurl

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
best varmint bullet for 7mm super mag
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:50:31 AM »
im shooting a 7mm super mag single shot handgun at 1900 fps and would like to know what co. makes the lightest weight and most fragile bulett that would work best for varmint at this vel.  Thanks  blksqurl

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: best varmint bullet for 7mm super mag
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
Squrl- It looks like Speer TNT or a Hornady 120 gr. V max are the lightest commonly available. Norma used to make IIRC a 78gr soft point but that was a while back and was factory loaded in the 7x57 (had some), otherwise you might look a a cast hollow points. I have used the older Nosler 125 gr.BT in my fast twist hot loaded (probably about 1700 or soContender pistol in 30 M1 Carbine (30 Whisper) and they opened up fairly well out to 150 or so but acted much like a game bullet and not an explosive varmint one. I would probably start w/the V-Max as they might be better at expanding on edge shots and break up better on misses than the HP but I never shot either one of that particular wt/dia. or near your velocity level. Maybe one of the newer "green" non lead bullets would work at that speed but I have no experience with them-Muddy

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:01:22 AM »
Hornady makes a 100 grain bullet. I seat it .1" into 7x57 cases filled to the top (including the neck) of H4350 (this is actually a book load, you can look up the charge weight!). Claimed velocities are ridiculous. I don't know how fragile they are though. sadly barnes makes no varmint grenades that big. I think they go to 270? I think? but not 284.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:43:42 AM »
Sierra makes a 100 gr hp with a thin jacket I've used in a 7tcu. It does pretty good.
Molon labe

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »
I've used a lot of 100 HPs in the 7 TCU as well. I think they were Hornady but it's been a really long time and they might have been Sierra. It was a good accuracy bullet but I always switched to 120s for hunting with the 7 TCU.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »
ive shot a few deer with the 120vmax hornady in the 7 waters and it allways gave me good expansion and excellent accuracy. I dont know if it would open up enough to blow the crap out of p dogs but it sure would kill one.
blue lives matter