Author Topic: New England 12 gauge single  (Read 1628 times)

Offline celt1314

• Trade Count: (0)
New England 12 gauge single
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:56:59 AM »
Here is my only shotgun at present. I went down today and picked this up along with 80 rounds of 54r and some stripper clips for my 56. Its a New England single shot 12 gauge with the case hardened receiver. I'm gong to the range tomorrow to test fire it. I'll post a report that night. Hopefully all goes well. I really love the simplicity of this shotgun and the price was fare so i'm happy with it so far. I'll know for sure tomorrow. Any info or comments are most welcome. I paid 110 for it. Not a fantastic deal but I'm happy.
Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will loose both, and deserve neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New England 12 gauge single
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:07:24 AM »
Congratulations! You've acquired yourself a fine example of the type of shotgun people used here in the hills  for over a hundred years..They've put squirrel,birds, deer,etc. on the table for ages...protected the chickens and livestock, defended the home..etc. ya did good. ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline celt1314

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 06:14:40 AM »
Thank you. I already love it and ain't killed a thing with it. Certainly a work horse.
Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will loose both, and deserve neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
That's a fine example of an old 12. The more you hunt with it the more you'll love it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Lonegun1894

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »
I still have the same one I was given for my 17th birthday, and it has been my most used hunting shotgun.  Plain old fixed modified choke has done things I never knew it wasn't supposed to be capable of doing, and still does.  I have fancier guns, but this one is an old trusted friend.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »
Looks just like my Topper.  Beware of the recoil with heavy loads.  These are really light for 12ga.  Consider a good recoil pad.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »
I got an old 16G 20" barrel, mismatched stock, "hacksaw choke".  Yup, shell carrier on the butt.  Great barn gun.  Has protected livestock for the 25 years that I've had her & will into the next century. 
My Gramps kept it's twin in the dairy to keep the snapping turtles from the cows.  (Some of those suckers were dangerous to us kids...  if we found them one of us went to get Gramps.)  My grandfather's diary goes back to his purchase of the farm in 1899 & now on the third generation.     

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »
nice! !
take care of it and it'll take care of you ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »
That's a good-lookin' shotgun! Everybody needs a classic single like that one.

Offline celt1314

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »