Author Topic: Prettiest brass  (Read 3100 times)

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Prettiest brass
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:36:07 AM »
A rock tumbler and dry stainless steel media for 2 hours.
A vibrator and polishing media overnight.

Brighter shinier brass than days in the vibrator produces.

Does pretty brass shoot any better?

Offline Rock6.3

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Prettiest brass
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:49:23 AM »
The target never sees the brass....

Clean, sized, accurately reloaded, chamber, fire, repeat.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:17:02 AM »
I like clean brass, it reduces unnecessary wear on your dies and simply looks better.

Range or really dirty brass gets washed with warm soapy water, then in the summer laid out on the deck and in the winter in the oven on lowest setting.

Clean (realitively) brass between loadings gets a 4-6 hr run in the tumbler. I use both walnut and corn, mostly corn and I treat it with either Dillon rapid polish, Lyman turbo cleaner or chrome polish.

Most everyone knows but its worth while to mention, watch flash holes as they get some particles in them. If the cases are still primed, the decapping pin used to remove the primer will clear any residue. But if the brass is decapped, look closely...

As a matter of fact, I need to remove some brass form the tumbler row! ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
Yes, clean and shiny brass makes a difference. Have pride in your work product, Man. ;) .

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:51 AM »
I read somewhere, (maybe it was a conspiracy theory ?)  :)

That the prettiest brass on the range always wins ?

Me ? Clean range brass, yes,
But I only wipe and clean my fired necks, in and out,
and keep it off the dirt, and dry.
Bought a tumbler many years ago, but never used it.

I haven't had a problem yet that the brass has got dirty, in 20 years, or corroded,
Loses its shine yes, but not unsightly.

My personal opinion, it doesn't need to look new, just not 'dirty' !

cheers,
SS

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
Polishing is hard on case mouths, hammering them together in the tumbler causing burrs which also work hardens the burrs causing unnecessary issues.  I can only imagine what SS media would do to brass...
Wipe the brass down to get the crud off and then use a spinner w/ Flitz to remove carbon from the inside of the neck. If you really want pretty brass you can use a dab of flitz after loading.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »
I compared tumbled corn media and polish to lemon juice and warm water.  Of course two hours of tumbling and polishing is quite nice, but two minutes in the lemon-water is quite sufficient.  Cut Bait or Fish...Tumble or Reload.  Your choice.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
Yes, clean and shiny brass makes a difference. Have pride in your work product, Man. ;) .

I read somewhere, (maybe it was a conspiracy theory ?)  :)

That the prettiest brass on the range always wins ?

Me ? Clean range brass, yes,
But I only wipe and clean my fired necks, in and out,
and keep it off the dirt, and dry.
Bought a tumbler many years ago, but never used it.

I haven't had a problem yet that the brass has got dirty, in 20 years, or corroded,
Loses its shine yes, but not unsightly.

My personal opinion, it doesn't need to look new, just not 'dirty' !

cheers,
SS

I do not think that because brass looks pretty, it shoots better. However, I do think it is an indication of someone that watches details and cleaning brass is a detail. Taking pride in your work is an indication of paying attention to details, feeling good about the ammo you load is part of a confidence you get. By paying attention to ALL the details gives you confidence, that you have done every thing you can to give you top accuracy.

Yes, I also have squeaky clean primer pockets. No one knows but me, but I do not care what others think. I do not do it for others, I do it for myself. Treat yourself and clean your brass! Of course, if you only want to make noise, then anything will do, including dirty brass.

This IS my opinion. I realize that there folks that are really concerned about accuracy and do not clean their brass, let alone clean primer pockets. That is just not in my DNA. I have a garage that is organized, a nice, neat loading bench, I like to clean my man cave, it is just makes me feel good and I take pride in them and love to show them off.

It is just in my DNA

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
Looks good LaOtto.
Unfortunately, I'm not spoiled with a man cave or reloading bench in our little cramped apartment, or even a garage for that matter,
but I still load good ammo.
It's just a pain getting everything out and setting up every time.
(broke the glass top last week, clamping the press to the dining room table !!!!..... Did I ever get a bollocking from the long haired General !
Lost my weekend pass and privileges !)

I diligently clean my primer pockets, but not too anal about it,
and as I've said, my necks are cleaned of powder residue, in and out, which I think is important.
I also test the brass for fit in the chamber, and measure for trim,
and each powder load is individually weighed before it passes my 'Quality Control' !
And of course have pet COAL's .

I've weighed and measured brass and projectiles,
but also found that if you use quality stuff, and get it right, right from the beginning, then you don't need to go too overboard and 'sweat the small stuff.'
I take a pride in the results, and my rifles, (and the dull brass of course !)  :)
besides the reloading gear and all the little bits necessary for good loads, to shoot nice and straight !
Barrels are cleaned after every session before putting away, and metal lighty wiped with the proverbial rag.

But, I'm sure we all do everything differently, one way or another, otherwise life would be so boring !
cheers,
SS

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »

I do not think that because brass looks pretty, it shoots better. However, I do think it is an indication of someone that watches details and cleaning brass is a detail. Taking pride in your work is an indication of paying attention to details, feeling good about the ammo you load is part of a confidence you get. By paying attention to ALL the details gives you confidence, that you have done every thing you can to give you top accuracy.

Yes, I also have squeaky clean primer pockets. No one knows but me, but I do not care what others think. I do not do it for others, I do it for myself. Treat yourself and clean your brass! Of course, if you only want to make noise, then anything will due, including dirty brass.

This IS my opinion. I realize that there folks that are really concerned about accuracy and do not clean their brass, let alone clean primer pockets. That is just not in my DNA. I have a garage that is organized, a nice, neat loading bench, I like to clean my man cave, it is just makes me feel good and I take pride in them and love to show them off.

It is just in my DNA

Bench looks great!  Neat and efficient...  I need to go clean mine...  :-[

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
Otto- Too many primers and not enough bullets or powder! (sorry). My 2C I use the NRA formula of a good squirt of dish detergent, 1Tbs salt and 1/2 cup vinegar in a gallon of (at least) room temp water, slosh case around for about a minute or 2 then drain into another gallon jug. Rinse well (I remove primers first so they dry better) in HOT water and put into old plastic case holders from 40 cal (06 size head) or 223 base up and blow any water out of the pockets (use your imagination) and set on the pickup dash and next afternoon all is well. It also makes cleaning the primer pockets a breeze. Just reuse the solution till it gets green/blue then make some more. I'ts biodegradable so no problema that way. Adios-Muddy

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Swifty - That is all the primers I have, but it is only a small part of the powder I have, and there are lots more bullets there than you think. I have old powder canisters full of bulk bullets on the shelf there too. Shoot by far, more .224 bullets than anything else, so I have thousands, if not 10's of thousands of those. Admittedly, my supply of the others is not that great, just a few hundred of each of the others. I still do not have as much as CW has. ::)

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
I got tired of running the tumbler all night--so now I use a Lee case trimer shell holder --cordless drill --and some scotch bright--polishes up about 100 pieces of brass in about 30 minutes.

cybin

Offline Hooker

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »
Rifle brass
Deprime stuff them in the Lyman vibrator over night.
Trim if needed, resize, prime and reload as I have time.
It may not make a hill of beans whether it's clean and pretty but I like and that's all that counts.

Pistol brass
Shoot Reload Shoot Reload........
I only clean the used pistol brass I pick up at the range.

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
CW that is one organized loading room that's what i need. i have been cleaning my cases in burchwood casy's case cleaners for years .got a tumbler last year only thing i don't like about it is the media gets stuck in the flash holes.more work. ???

Offline tnpaul12

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »
The one thing I have found out about clean shinny brass is tha you can find it alot easer if you drop it at rhe ramge. I don't know why but I want mine shinny.
I hate pop ups

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
i really think it's they look new .makes you fill better have never noticed any difference than you can inspect cases better. ;D

Offline Anonym

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
    • AREA 5150
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 02:35:24 AM »
I compared tumbled corn media and polish to lemon juice and warm water.  Of course two hours of tumbling and polishing is quite nice, but two minutes in the lemon-water is quite sufficient.  Cut Bait or Fish...Tumble or Reload.  Your choice.
So what kind of water to lemon juice ratio do you use for best results?
Can't hardly wait on deer season and the 2016 Presidential Elections...

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:19 AM »
The over-the-counter stuff from Publix Supermarket in the 28 oz. bottle size.  "ReaLemon" is the brand and it's just "Plain Jane" 100% lemon juice so far as I can tell.  I just pour a half cup (or so) in 2.5 gallons of water and it works like a charm.  Not "gold bright" and shiny, but clean "brass brite" with shine.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »
"Does pretty brass shoot any better?"

Not  proven yet.  But a lot of people seem to have tried.  ;)

Purty cases and meaningless glittery "pride in your work" is a stage most people who suddenly learn they can actually polish brass cases go through.  It eventually wears off, both the glitter and chasing trivials.

All lemon juice has is citric acid and in juice it's quite weak.  The effect the acid has is to reduce any surface oxidation on the metal so it can take a higher polish.   We can duplicate the effect on brass at a much lower cost by using vinegar.  And white vinegar doesn't smell bad!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Anonym

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
    • AREA 5150
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »
Thanks for the info fellas.  Might be something I try out.
Can't hardly wait on deer season and the 2016 Presidential Elections...

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »
"Does pretty brass shoot any better?"

Not  proven yet.  But a lot of people seem to have tried.  ;)

Purty cases and meaningless glittery "pride in your work" is a stage most people who suddenly learn they can actually polish brass cases go through.  It eventually wears off, both the glitter and chasing trivials.

All lemon juice has is citric acid and in juice it's quite weak.  The effect the acid has is to reduce any surface oxidation on the metal so it can take a higher polish.   We can duplicate the effect on brass at a much lower cost by using vinegar.  And white vinegar doesn't smell bad!
Really? I've been a handloader for 45 years.Don't really find it meaningless.I'm a tradesman and show the same pride and quality in my work as my reloading bench activities.Just don't like slothiness shown on any work product. To each it's own.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »
"I'm a tradesman and show the same pride and quality in my work as my reloading bench activities.Just don't like slothiness shown on any work product. To each it's own."

Yes, to each his own.  I am more than a tradesman, I'm a perfectionist craftsman but I do have a sense of reality.  Decent looking and clean ammo is part of that but compulsive desires to show off the most glittery cases at the range only suggests a fasination with trivia to me.  My concern is how my ammo shoots, not how purty other guys may think it is; no one sneers at my targets.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
Well I could care less what others think. I do it for my own satisfaction. To that I think we agree.

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
Been doing a little experimenting,
as I have 600 'once fired' Sako .222 brass coming my way,

fired in 1980 !

I had in mind to tumble it, or lemon juice it, vinegar it, or buff it,
and then maybe re-anneal, for a bit of case life,

as 30 year old brass might be prone to the odd neck split, or a hundred.

I accumulate old Sako brass, as in it's day it was regarded as maybe the best for brass content/weight/consistency/drilled flash etc,
but in our neck of the woods, it hasn't been imported for probably near 30 years, so all of it on offer is old, and some well used and abused.
Some lots I've fired, I've lost half through splits, maybe from being worked a bit much, ....whom knows.

I tested some with 10mins in vinegar water, and got a bit of a sheen up from my current lot, which aren't very coloured or oxidised, as they were cleaned up when I first got them,
then I buffed up a few on my little driver/drill and Lee trimmer case holder, using a Nortons Synthetic steel wool '000' pad.
I was a bit concerned that I might be taking metal off, but I measured and weighed, and there was no noticeable alteration in the specs, before and after.

Here's the results;

Original on left at rear, vinegar'd right at rear,
and buffed in the front,.....nice and shiny !
-

-

By the way, the vinegar lot smell good, if you like 'Dill',
only vinegar I had was in the Gherkin jar !  :)

cheers,
SS

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:10 AM »
Pictures sure are nice.  Not too bad for 30-year old brass!  Those with vinegar shines and those that are right out of the box will still shoot straight.

Not a bad idea to vinegar the lot of them to clean the gunk and grime off, then tumble and polish.  Adding that vinegar "first sheen" before tumbling may accelerate the process and reduce tumble time.

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »
Not too bad for 30-year old brass!  Those with vinegar shines and those that are right out of the box will still shoot straight.

I know.
When I first get the stuff, I give it a bit of a cleanup, and then it's on it's own.

Generally looks like the ones at the back left.

I think shiny brass looks good, and impresses my mates, but is not the magic 'bullet' for those micro groups !

I have to hold my mouth 'just right' for those !  :)

cheers,
SS

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 05:04:39 PM »

I thought you might like some more pics of 'vintage' brass !  :)
This is what nice 'pretty' resurrected 30 year old, many times fired, brass looks like ;
-

-

This is what 660x 30 yr old once fired Sako .222 brass looks like.
Quite a few pounds of scrap metal in there !
-

-

Should keep me busy for a while !
When I've shot some targets with it, we can see if it shoots straighter, without cleaning, or not !  :)

cheers,
SS

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
Clean brass is good. It sizes easier.
Making it reflective does nothing but wear the surface of the brass away and creates lead bearing dust.
Keep it off the ground and keep it clean and it does not have to be polished except when you are salvaging some else's cruddy brass.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 04:11:41 AM »
Clean brass is good. It sizes easier.
Making it reflective does nothing but wear the surface of the brass away and creates lead bearing dust.
Keep it off the ground and keep it clean and it does not have to be polished except when you are salvaging some else's cruddy brass.

This is dead on. Clean brass does not mean it has to be polished. Inside the neck is most important and primer pockets should be cleaned also. Everything else is just for show, which is fine but not helping your shooting.  Banging around for hours on end in a tumbler just dings and hardens you necks. If you want it pretty just wipe with Flitz after the round is finished.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne