Author Topic: Artillery shell confiscated at an elementary school  (Read 798 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Artillery shell confiscated at an elementary school
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:00:17 AM »
Like many of these instances of so-called reportage, this one leaves a lot to the imagination (antique shell, inert shell, spent shell). I suppose it would be kind of humorous if it turns out that they're actually talking about an empty brass case, but I don't think the last part is all that funny: "The artillery shell was confiscated, 'because it’s a spent military item, property of the federal government, and really is not supposed to be  in civilian hands, so it will not be returned (to the student),' Sheriff Bond  concluded."
http://sedalianewsjournal.com/2012/02/17/student-brings-inert-antique-artillery-shell-to-school/
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Artillery shell confiscated at an elementary school
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
see that is the dumb type of stuff that happens all the time,  that sheriff will lose his job.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
  I been there in that town many a time, Nice small town , layed back, Serria bullet company is there where you can but 2 nd. grade bullets . I worked at a different John Deere company that once was a place that made 30 and 50 cal. for WW2, There was ammo found that was still live, The formen had a display on his desk, I once took a loaded German 20 MM  to English Class to give a speaks on something,

Offline SRT8MOPAR

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
Are they going to put the kid on the no fly list? LOL

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
My nephew left some obviously spent and empty shells with dented primers in some donations to a local charity, and wound up on the hotseat.  Ignorance abounds.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
see that is the dumb type of stuff that happens all the time,  that sheriff will lose his job.

The Sheriff was doing his job as far as responding to some irrational adults who had they actually looked may have figured out it was a war souvenir, all he did was differ to the experts ie. the bomb squad...... had he looked he would probably been able to tell it was a war souvenir... all concerned should chalk it up as a training exercise......

It's funny how times change..... I took a inert WWII hand grenade to school for one of our history classes it was not confiscated the bomb squad was not called & I was not marked as a terrorist.....and can still fly....... heck we used to bring in swords, guns etc...... and the world didn't come to an end there were no school shootings the school wasn't locked down....... what has our society become.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
==Scott== 
  As part of history lessons/Civil War days at the public schools I have taken deactivated cannon balls and shells for the kids to see and enjoy. I can imagine some knuckehead might try to confiscate my shells! The world has gone nuts after 911.