Author Topic: cannon lock suppliers  (Read 1372 times)

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
cannon lock suppliers
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
Hi anyone know were i can find one or who  can make one i tryed with not much success and dixie gun works is out of stock and has no idea when they will if ever have any more

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: cannon lock suppliers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Hi anyone know were i can find one or who  can make one i tryed with not much success and dixie gun works is out of stock and has no idea when they will if ever have any more

buzz36, if you are seriously interested in getting one, send me a PM.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »
I also have a few locks available. The hammer is similar to the brass one DGW sells but the bracket is much more compact. I have installed them on cannons as small as 1/4 scale. Mine are made of 12L14 crs and hot rolled plate for the bracket. I will try to get a pic of one on here. They look really nice and are well made. PM me for more info. My email is de_lok at yahoo dot com. I have built and sold several hundred small scale cannon over the years, but havn't done so for the past 5-6 years, so after much nagging and friends in my face constantly I have decided to "tool" up and make a few more........................

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, de_lok! Looking forward to seeing pics of your cannon locks! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:51 AM »
Ok, here is a naval gun with the lock I mentioned

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:34 AM »
Hello, de_lok! Very nice; I've seen your pieces before.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks, de_lok...that looks nice...going to PM you...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »
nice naval gun and lock I be in touch
buzz

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »
Got any more examples? Do these take small percussion caps/primers?

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
Got any more examples? Do these take small percussion caps/primers?
You can use what ever percusion nipple you choose if making tour own barrel. I always use musket caps because they are bigger, hotter, less prone to plug, and easier to cap.
There is no spring, the hammer rolls back, and a yank of the cord flips the hammer with centrifical force striking the cap, very simple durable design. A hole is drilled in the bracket to go over the nipple and another hole in the middle for a single 1/4-20 screw to fasten it to the barrel.
Please be patient with me guys on posting pics, almost all my pics are on my laptop that the lcd screen went out on and I havn't got it fixed yet :-[  Somewhere in the piles of stuff around here I have a backup disc............................................... :o

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
You could plug a regular monitor into the laptop for the mean time.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:09 AM »
All my current guns are too small and light for such a tug not to mess with their aim. My original plan for these was to make a spring loaded hammer. So a tug on the cord would only release the sear.
Something that would have the same mechanics of the original cannon flintlock system of the early 19th century. Still the main worry is to have that primer shoot back up off the nipple and back at you. So instead of rifle primers I taught about snap caps with plastic cups.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
All my current guns are too small and light for such a tug not to mess with their aim. My original plan for these was to make a spring loaded hammer. So a tug on the cord would only release the sear.
Something that would have the same mechanics of the original cannon flintlock system of the early 19th century. Still the main worry is to have that primer shoot back up off the nipple and back at you. So instead of rifle primers I taught about snap caps with plastic cups.

Do those have enough fire to ignite black powder?

Do those fire any easier than a musket cap?

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
I have gone thru over 15 tins of CCI musket caps on my "go to" cannon without a single incident of shrapnel from a musket cap hitting anyone over the years. I do have a basic safety protocal before firing, and I shoot blank (paper wad) loads for noise only. I use the same nipples used on reproduction springfield and enfield muskets which have a tiny hole to reduce back pressure from the blasting powder, but still delivers a really hot spark. Some that use pre wrapped aluminum foil loads drill the nipples out bigger allowing clearance for a vent pick to puncture the foil. This greatly increases back pressure which inturn raises the risk of "shrapnel". I personally do not drill out nipples and recomend others do not also without knowing the risk.
It only takes a short, quick, lite whip of the rope to set it off. With a little practice you should easily fire your cannon without pulling off aim. That being said, these locks are designed to work on 1/4 scale field guns and up.
Dewayne

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »

Do those have enough fire to ignite black powder?

Do those fire any easier than a musket cap?
If a spark from a flint can light BP, then these caps should without a problem.
De-lok thanks for the assurance and info.

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 02:38:05 AM »
ring cap  should produce a flame to light powder but wil it produce a flame long enouf to reach
IE 1/4" flame length???

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »

If a spark from a flint can light BP, then these caps should without a problem.
De-lok thanks for the assurance and info.

I am skeptical, try it and let us know. That is how we have learned new things here.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
Flintlocks on the 1810 era naval guns were only there to really light the priming powder in the flash hole, not the main charge itself. There was still a 1/2 sec delay between a tug on the pull string and the gun going off.
I do handload small arms ammunition and I know what you mean by your concerns.