Author Topic: Can a Monarch handle the 378Wby?  (Read 484 times)

Offline txpitdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Can a Monarch handle the 378Wby?
« on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:50 AM »
I've got a new 4-16x42 Nikon Monarch side focus that I'm considering putting on my Mark V 378Wby.  I will only ever fire the gun with the brake installed.  Is the Nikon up to the task or am I basically giving the scope and death sentence?

I believe the rifle generates about 36 to 40 ft-lbs recoil with the brake installed. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Can a Monarch handle the 378Wby?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
Ive had one on an 8mag for years and its held up fine. granted its not in the same league for recoil as your 378 but then not much is. One good thing about nikon is they do stand behind them. Not much help if you have it fail on a hunt though.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
I would not worry.
 The 378 has recoil, but its entirely with in the design perameters of most good scopes avalible today, Monarch defineately included.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
No idea about the newer Monarch models, but the old Monarch UCC's that I've had a bunch of would handle it.

40 foot pounds of recoil in a rifle is nothing compared to some of the specialty handcannons I've had that had up to nearly twice that.   I only used handgun scopes I knew from long experience could take it, so never had one fail.    None of them were Nikon's...
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline 6x6 elk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
2 years ago I was using the Omega on a 12 ga. Slug gun and after 15 rounds through the gun it started to shoot inconsistantly. I ended up sending the scope back to Nikon and they said something in the elevation turret had broken loose. They replaced the scope, and I had the same thing happen again. They replaced the scope a second time, but this time I put the scope on my Muzzleloader, and put a Leupold VXlll on the Slug gun and I have not had any problems. The optics on the Nikons are nice but the Leupold and Zeiss scopes seem to hold up to recoil better.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »
For a while I had a Bushnell 10X on my .338/378, Mark V Accumark.  That scope worked fine.  Don't ee why a Nikon should not work as long as you were using the brake. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.