Author Topic: I'm so bored  (Read 748 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
I'm so bored
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »
Spent the last 2 days forming case's , started doing 222 brass from 223's then switched over to 6mm from 30/06 , now I'm doing 8.15 X 46R case's from 30/30 , that one is almost too much like work , I have to trim to length as well as turn the rim and then thin it down by .010 which works well at removing the old case stamp .  ;)

I could go the club and shoot , but its still like a war zone over in Delphos ( Bad storms ) and its best to just stay out of the way .   ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: I'm so bored
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
And here I thought I was the only one dumb enough to make 8.15x 46R brass from 30-30 brass. Yer right, it's freakin' work. Mine is on an old single shot, falling block Sauer shutzen style rifle that probably weights 40 lbs with double set triggers and a gas pipe for a barrel. Beautiful rifle, shoots far better than I can with the globe sights, and gets LOTS of attention at a public range.Wanna make me some brass, big boy? :D

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
How much you need Larry ? I have about 50 done and another 50 in the works , more than enough to last me 2 lifetimes  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »
Hey Stimpy, since your so bored, do you wanna make me some 219 Donaldson Wasp brass?? :D  I've got 200rds. already made, but since your messing with the old 30-30 brass, I'll let make me some. Not that hard, just push the shoulder down, neck it to .22, and then outside neck turn. Keep ya busy!! ;) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »
Spent the last 2 days forming case's , started doing 222 brass from 223's then switched over to 6mm from 30/06 , now I'm doing 8.15 X 46R case's from 30/30 , that one is almost too much like work , I have to trim to length as well as turn the rim and then thin it down by .010 which works well at removing the old case stamp .  ;)

I could go the club and shoot , but its still like a war zone over in Delphos ( Bad storms ) and its best to just stay out of the way .   ???

stimpy

Bored ?

Me too, mostly laid up, little to do, and zero motivation.
Pssssing down way South here on the way to the Antarctic, mid Winter.

Managed to load a couple boxes  .222 and some .22Hornet , ........eventually !

Stimpy, tell me, if you would, how do you thin the rim down, that's a bit precision ? (and ends up flat, as !)

Rather than the hit and miss, rub it on a stone, wobbly results, that I have tried.

cheers,
SS

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:25:11 AM »

stimpy

Stimpy, tell me, if you would, how do you thin the rim down, that's a bit precision ? (and ends up flat, as !)

Rather than the hit and miss, rub it on a stone, wobbly results, that I have tried.

cheers,
SS

Thats easy , I picked up a small lathe from a buddy of mine a few years ago , I just chuck the case up and turn them down .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »
Thanks, yes that's the ideal.

My gear is minimal.

Bit of work, though with setup, I guess.

I only needed to take off one or two thou off a rimmed case, for go/no go,
But I wasn't happy with the results, so biffed them.

cheers,
SS

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
so dang hot i can't make myself get to the range. even my loading bench in the attic is hot.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.