Author Topic: Buffalo classic and rust  (Read 1584 times)

Offline mdevlin53

• Trade Count: (2)
Buffalo classic and rust
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
I have a trio of H&Rs and all three have the color case hardened recievers.  I am constantly cleaning a light bloom of rust from the recievers. I clean the rifles every time i shoot. I dismount the barrel and clean the bore and then the barrel.  I use soft brushes and q-tips on the reciever and finally wipe it all down with one of those birchwood casey grey rifle wipes.  I do live in the hudson valley of NY and the weather is almost always hot and humid or cool and damp so i know i have to be on top of it but is there any secrets on the color case parts.
Thanks for any advice

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo classic and rust
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
As usual, Timmy is spot on!!

I have been using EEzox for many years. I have property in Ulster/Sullivan County, we have been hunting up there since the mid 40's. No special rust issues, just get a good oil!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline KIMBER45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Do what Tim said. Along with that get an electric dehumidifier if you have a safe.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
I have been using Break Free CLP for a long, long time. As long as I keep it on my guns, there is no rust. if you do not handle the gun, it will last for years in the gun safe/cabinet, with out rusting. If I am not going to using the gun for a while, I put on a generous coating and put it away without touching the metal parts. If I am going to using it again soon, I put a light coating on. What I like about CLP is I can get it any where including the local Walmart. You can get it as a spray or as a wipe on. I have not used EEzox because I just can not seem to find it without doing a search on the web and ordering it through the mail. My understanding is that EEzox works every bit as good as CLP, so if you can get it, it will work well too.

BTW: I use Rem Oil for the bore for long term store - up to a year before reapplying. For short term storage (a few days) I use Kano Microil. I like it because it will penetrate under fouling and into micro cracks/pits making it easier to remove. No matter what I store in the bore, I run a dry patch down the bore before firing.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline mdevlin53

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
Eezox seems like a good idea the tests were pretty convincing. I have been using remington synthetic gun oil and for the most part it keeps the blu parts clear but the case hardened parts are more suseptable for whatever reason.  I will pick some up and give it a try.
Thanks

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
haven;t found eezox here locally but have been using break free now for two year great stuff got rid of all my other crap. ;D

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:57 AM »
In Louisiana guns rust in your hand. I store all mine in those silicone gun socks from Wally World, Academy, Cabellas, etc.
Never had an issue since but I also oil them heavily with Rem Oil

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »
WD-40 and a wipe down every time after a gun is handled. Cheap, easy and effective, what can be wrong with that?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Mauserfan

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
I have used Eezox in the past with great results.  I no longer have a local source so I have been using Ballistol.  I have a few muzzleloaders that prove it works.  The only issue is that it is pretty pungent.  But for a lack of rust it's worth it.  One can goes a long way. 
.45-70, because I can't use a bazooka.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
Paste wax (Trewax or Johnson's). Rub a coat on, let it dry and buff it out. Works great, cheap, and holds up to handling. If I know it's going to be raining when I hunt, or I want to knock the shine, I rub a heavy coat on and skip the buffing. Regular black boot polish works as well, with the added benefit of making the sometime thin looking H&R bluing look better. The paste wax also protects the wood from moisture.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 04:07:06 AM »
WD-40 and a wipe down every time after a gun is handled. Cheap, easy and effective, what can be wrong with that?

thats what i thought

'til i moved to the beach
[that   and i am too sorry for the EVERY time its handled]

triflo...breakfree.... or corrosion block for me

WD-40  is good for cleaning a gun
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:19:34 AM »

thats what i thought

'til i moved to the beach
[that   and i am too sorry for the EVERY time its handled]

triflo...breakfree.... or corrosion block for me

WD-40  is good for cleaning a gun

This comes up allot in posts like this.

WD-40 is a poor choice, when compaired to what is avalible today. BUT it IS FAR better then nothing at all!!!

It does a number of things well, removing graffiti and displacing water are its top attributes. Resisting corrosion and penetrating corrosion is down on the bottom of its list of attributes. BTW the "WD" in its name stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT. This is its claim to fame and it works quite well in this respect.

If you want a product with many facets, the previously mentioned BALLISTOL is a FAR BETTER choice!!  Its even useful for cleaning PLANT LEAVES or treating pet hot spots!!!

http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html

I am NOT knocking people that choose to use WD, its been around a long time, it simply a statement that there are some much better choices avalible today.

Good luck,
 CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 05:36:58 AM »
I would not use WD-40 because it will gum over time. Repeated use on the outside eventually gets on the inside. If the gun is not torn down periodically and the inside cleaned, it will dry out and gum the works up. Hoppes #9 will do the same thing. I put Hopes in a bore and left a generous amount in there for long term storage. When I dug out the gun years later, the Hoppes had run down into the action and dried out and it gummed up the action so that when the bolt was activated and cocked the trigger would not relaese the firing pin. The gun had to be torn down and thouroughly cleaned. I now use CLP or Rem Oil because they work and you can buy them any where sporting goods are sold.

BTW - I used to use WD-40 for rust prevention on my tools, I now use Rem-Oil. I keep a couple of cans on hand in the garage just for that purpose. Every so often I spray some on a cloth and wipe down a tool - no rust and it is not much more to buy that WD-40. It is also a cleaner and a lubricate.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
I do need to defend WD-40 on this 'gumming up' thing. The situation is that a dirty or fouled, etc. mechanism that has a solvent introduced, including WD-40, will thin out the mess and alllow it to be swabbed or flushed out/off. If it let to sit WITHOUT said swabbing/flushing the solvent base dissipates, leaving, you guessed it, the same stuff you wanted to get out of there. If I put WD-40 on a clean surface I have yet to see, in over 30yrs of looking for it, any gumming take place. I have read the technical papers (available online) for WD-40 and it is much more than just a water displacing substance.
I also admit that, in this wonderful age, we have numerous products available, all at a price, and some harder than others to get, that do even better. I have been very satisfied with 'my' homebrew simplified version of "Ed's Red'; 1/3 oderless mineral spirits to 2/3 any auto-trans fluid. ATF has lots of anti-oxidants in it and the MS provide the thinning solvent action that dissipates.
All this to say that one should use what works and when you find something better, go for it!  ;D , meanwhile, dance with who ya brung (every time after handling).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Boeshield or EEZOX.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »

To be honest, I personally have not seen WD-40 gum up. Hoppes #9 will gum up and I have first hand knowledge of it.

I have read where people have used WD-40 on the outside of their guns for years and neglected the inside. When it came to a moment where they needed their gun, it jammed up due to WD-40 and other stuff gumming it up. True or not true? Personally I do not let my guns get into that state, but why take a chance? You would be surprised at how many people never tear down a gun to clean it, unless it quits functioning.

I am not using WD-40, nor would I recommend it to anyone else to use it, of course you can do what ever your heart desires.

The following reasons are why I will not use it.

1. There are far better rust preventatives out there, that are very affordable and widely distributed
2. There are better lubricates for your expensive fire arms than WD-40
3. There are cleaners that are just as good as WD-40

There are a few options beyond WD-40 that combine all three reasons above, that are affordable and easy to get. When I say affordable I mean just that, if you can afford to buy ammunition or reloading supplies for you gun/s then you can afford to pay the few pennies per cleaning more for Break Free or some other high quality product made especially for the job you want to do. Using WD-40 is better than nothing, but come on, there ARE better choices than WD-40.

I have WD-40 and use it regularly. My bother dropped one of my Ithaca Model 37's into a creek. The water was chest deep, it was in December and the water was very cold. I made him go diving for it. He came up soaked and so did the gun, and had fine sand all through it. I took it apart as far as I could and dried the parts as best I could, then doused them with WD-40 to not only get the water out, but to flush the sand out of the little crevasses and what not. I then wiped as much of the WD-40 off that I could and applied Break Free to every surface, let it dry and stored away. It never rusted, not even a little bit. The action was as smooth as ever. So I do use WD-40, but not on my guns, unless they are dropped in the water.

Remember, You are free to use anything you want, and WD-40 beats nothing, just not several other products.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
CLP or ballistol is far superior to wd or rem oil. I do not use either Rem oil or WD for storage.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
Here is a test with different products involved. WD-40 was not included in this test, but Eezox, CLP and Rem Oil was, among others. Eezox was the clear winner in this test, but I can get CLP locally so that is what I use with satisfactory results. Rem Oil does not protect as well as CLP or Eezox, but it did better than some of the others and certainly better than nothing.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Here is another with the author liking Eezox best and CLP second. If you read further down (under Comments and Observations), he does not like WD-40 because it gums. His words - not mine.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
has any one else tried CORROSION BLOCK??

i think its the best  i have tried
but know of no one else to have tried it

http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/html/corrosionbl.htm

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Go check out this link and look for yourself.
This is what sold me on EEZOX about a year ago and it is about all I use on my guns now.
Besides, it smells good!
Eezox Rusting Prevention Test ...
Used Rem oil for a while along with most of the others.
Now, it's either EEZOX or BREAKFREE and nothing else!!!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 06:03:10 AM »
i have been using break free works good. have been  reading about guys that are using renaissance wax used  on fine museum peice's a might pricey though.going to try some they sell it at midway can do whole gun protects wood too. :)