Author Topic: bullet pull and neck tension  (Read 351 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
bullet pull and neck tension
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:13:17 AM »
I pulled a bullet from a 35 rem that I loaded a while back.   I used the lyman hammer style and it came out pretty easy in 3 wacks.   I had put what I thought was closer to a heavy crimp on it with the lee crimp die.   Seeing how easy it was to get the bullet out my concern is that the crimp may have not been all that heavy and the rest of the rounds I loaded will be used in a marlin lever stacked in a line.    Will the recoil from the gun cause a problem seating the bullets deeper on the rounds in the tube and make an unsafe condition?   thanks 

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: bullet pull and neck tension
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
How heavy are your bullets? I fined that the heavier the bullet is the easier they come out with that type of puller.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:14:41 AM »
they are 200gr.

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:16:59 AM »
If you gave it three hard whacks I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 04:39:19 AM »
I agree, using a kenetic bullet puller used to measure neck tension is not a very good gauge... Muznut is spot on, heavy bullets will and do carry more energy once you get them moving. Its simple physics.

I have seen what appears to be a heavy crimp actually REDUSE bullet tension cause it disrupts/breaks the surface contact of the bullet to the neck.

NECK TENSION starts and ends with the diameter of the pilot in your set of dies. If its too large, you will have little tension, if too small, its hard to seat a bullet and neck tension will be high. You can purchase different diameters form the die manufacturer OR make what you have smaller with a drill press and piece of emery cloth. (GO SLOW!!)

BULLET RE-TENSION is your crimp. Personally I see zero need for a Lee "factory Crimp die. Its a solution to a non existant problem. I have never had a problem with the roll or taper crimp that comes standard with most die sets.

This is people mix up the two (Or do not understand) and blame the other, then go buy a "Factory crimp " die and proclaim they have found the "cure"... Go back to your loading manuel, most will have all the info needed for how to check and adjust this.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.