Author Topic: 45-70 Stock Weight  (Read 522 times)

Offline Mauserfan

• Trade Count: (0)
45-70 Stock Weight
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:24:26 AM »
 For this mornings “First awake and bored project” I decided to try and tame my 45-70 recoil a bit.  Last week I dressed it in a Monte Carlo style synthetic stock off of a NEF Handy that I had lying around.  The stock at one time was on a 30-06 and had a piece of rubber capped keystock for weight.  I have no idea where the keystock went, probably welded to a table support.  But it still housed the green pork rind looking foam.  And once upon a time I shot an AR-15 in NRA high power events.  I sold the AR but kept the weights.  The weight set didn’t add to the value of the rifle and yet they could be turned into round balls one day.  Amazingly enough the buttstock weight that fits in the AR’s cleaning kit recess is dang near a perfect fit in the Handi synthetic buttstock!  It only needed about an 1/8 of an inch trimmed of one edge at the “butt” of the weight.  I cut the pork rinds in half and stuffed them on top and bottom to prevent any movement.  I don’t have a decent scale here at home but I will weigh the ole girl at work on Monday.  I had some 3/8” nylon flat washers and double stacked them under the barrel lug to float the barrel.  This allowed a dollar bill to pass through easily without too much of a visible gap.  It seems heavy but if it allows me to shoot comfortably (relative term for 45-70s) then I am happy.  I know the parts at one point cost me but for being garage salvage it was a cheap project.   
.45-70, because I can't use a bazooka.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45-70 Stock Weight
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:47 AM »
I guess I am just not recoil shy.In my latest Handi rifle I purposely purchased one with a synthetic stock non Monte Carlo to get as light as possible a configuration.I really like it.It's a pleasure to carry and this one seems to be as accurate if not more so than any of the seven 45-70's I have had including a Talo Trapper.It is certainly the at this point the best one I've had as far as handling(light) and accuracy.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »
I had to put sand in the Handi grip on my 45-70, because it was so muzzle heavy.  I may even go with a shorter scope to move the balance point farther back. The hollow stock is very light, the forend more solid and way heavier in comparison.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Whopper

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
I tried several different methods, but found that the extra lead strap weights from my old duck decoys worked great! I think there are 5 or 6 in the stock right now. Really helps tame the recoil on heavy loads.