Author Topic: Because hey, free cannon!  (Read 731 times)

Offline dittybopper

• Trade Count: (0)
Because hey, free cannon!
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
OK, I've been living with this secret long enough.

I got a 3" bore mortar, with a bunch of stuff with it, for free.  It's a long story involving engine work, rebuilding an old cap and ball revolver, and some perfect timing.

Anyway, I had my gunsmith father check it out, and we "proof" fired it several times from a distance with 14 oz tin cans full of cement (actual weight:  2 lbs) and full powder loads (filled up the chamber with Fg black powder).  We didn't see any problems.

I've been shooting it with half-full cans loaded nose first.  They seem to shuttlecock early in flight and fly consistently.   With a full charge of powder, and a can half full with 1 lb of cement in it, I get a range of about 280 yards at what I guesstimate is about a 60 degree barrel elevation. 

Here is the mortar and accessories:

Here is just the mortar itself:

And here is a close-up of one of the projectiles I've made:

I still have some things to do, though:  I have to make a worm (I've been using the kitchen tongs!), and a better linstock, and I *HAVE* to build a gunners quadrant so I know what elevation I am at.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Re: Because hey, free cannon!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
This will help you find the angle of your barrel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »
Yup angle finder will work, but with that nice looking set up something in wood with a weighted brass rod for an indicator would look better  ;D

Nice looking mortar! and accessories
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline dittybopper

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
I think I'm going to do both:  I'll grab an angle finder this coming weekend so that I have something next time I shoot it, but I'm also planning on making a nice gunners quadrant out of wood and brass.

Offline dittybopper

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
OK, I picked up an angle finder at my local Sears, and I measured the minimum and maximum barrel angles with the two different size barrel cradles I have. 

For the smaller one, the minimum barrel angle is 33.5 degrees, and max is 53.5 degrees.
For the larger, min is 40.0 degrees, and max is 57.5 degrees.

Now that I'm able to accurately measure barrel elevation, I'll be able to get a better handle on how far I can shoot once I test it again.