Author Topic: finlly gettin back to the norm!!!  (Read 493 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
finlly gettin back to the norm!!!
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »
well a week and 2 days after the storm hit  things are finally gettin back to normal??  The daughter  blow up a freezer and a fridge this  week  i suppose surges from the generator,  and still lost  100's of  bucks in frozen food, as many did , i filled the  back of a full size  dodge pickup with meat   from dads freezers,  of course  some of it  was needin pitched anyhow, but still,  power waas restored yesterday , sat  to alot of  folks around here,  been out since aweek ago friday,  this really  makes a guy think, what would  things be if  something really big would happen? iam talk  the whole state was out  for a week or more?  sure would get crazy ,   around here iam tellin ya , the store shelves are empty  most shipments on  whole till the power is   for sure on , we have had a lot of  rolling  outages  this past week too,  it maybe flicker off  or be out  3-4 hrs ,  people  you can tell are  gettin wore down ,  and  the jungle weather isnt helpin much , people arent sleeping well  for many reasons,  from the heat to  attending  generators  to alot of things,   any thoughts on the subject? what would  happen in a case of something big happening, ?? i know gas and food got to be  a  big deal,  most  places closed,  because of  no power, one station here  was open by a generator , ( stimpy u know its where  we met last time,)  it was a  line 3hrs long  to get fuel, police were giving out  a number  for  u to get  fuel,  and u hoped it  didnt  run dry  before u got it ,  nearest  fuel was  mansfield area, which is 20 miles north. sure got me thinking, and i know  you seen a lot of   people " open carrying"  around here yu never seen before, another  big problem was  a cash only  policy goin on most places   because  all the  card  machines were out , and  the  pumps  wouldnt accept them,  so alot of  people   had  no cash on hand, as with banks  shutdown??  where  do u go??  you could have 5000 bucks in the bank andyou were broke!!!!  well hopefully  things are on track  to gettin back , callin for storms today  lets hope  just a normal tstorm, not  85 mph winds again!!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: finlly gettin back to the norm!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
Ya buddy , I was one of the lucky ones and never lost power , however some guys I know were driving as far as 3 hours away to fine generators just to try and save food in their freezers and maybe keep some of the heat out of their homes . Delphos is a prime example of how the power grid should work , they have 2 main feeds coming into town , one from the east and one from the west so that at least some of town still had power for gas , food , etc.

However some of the smaller towns only have 1 feed and everything was dead , and your right about the CASH ONLY thing , with power and phone lines down there was no way to use PLASTIC , I don't want to think what it would have been like if the whole state was " dead in the water " or the whole country for that matter , people just keep feeling that their going to have these things everyday and Mother Nature has her own way of thinking .  :o ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Re: finlly gettin back to the norm!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:07 AM »
you got that right stimpylu,  i guess there were alot of substations  dead  also,  and   a wireguy told me  they had to bring in a chopper to  lift a transmission  line  back up   for it to be  reconnected!   and of course the trees  made a mess as usual,  yep i think  things  would get  real ugly in a hurry if   like you say  a state wide  outage  of any time length??  wow ,  lets hope not