Author Topic: Cast or Jacketed ?  (Read 591 times)

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Cast or Jacketed ?
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:48 AM »
I'm just getting ready to start reloading and am doing so for my .44 mag flattop. So is there any advantaged/disadvantages to cast and jacketed ? Not sure which would be best. I'm looking to find an accurate hunting load and a target load. Thanks for any help.
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Cast or Jacketed ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 04:19:40 AM »
It's really two different worlds, with affectionados` of both in the hobby.

You say your getting ready to start, well that's good we all started someplace.
What are you shooting now?
Are you familiar with lead following? Are you seeking maximum velocities or maximum accuracy?
found elsewhere

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »
Being a Ruger it'll shoot both accurately when you find the right weight. Cast is generally cheaper but unless everything is sized just right you may have some leading if you push them at max even if they are gas checked. What I do now with my Ruger 45 LC's and what I used to do when I shot a Ruger 44 mag is play with lead and get serious with jacketed. I just adjust my aim accordingly. Slower bullets of the same weight will shoot higher unless we're talking about longer ranges. I like the big lead bullets because they don't have to be going magnum speed to shoot all the way thru a critter. Kinetic energy is just wonderful in this case. Good luck and good shooting with whatever you choose.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline ratgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »
It's really two different worlds, with affectionados` of both in the hobby.

You say your getting ready to start, well that's good we all started someplace.
What are you shooting now?
Are you familiar with lead following? Are you seeking maximum velocities or maximum accuracy?
Accuracy is number one for me but it will need enough speed for hunting. I shoot factory jacketed now.
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
 IF you are NOT casting ,it is quicker and easier to use jacketed. There is no real accuracy difference or advantage using either. Fantastic loads have been developed using both. BUYING cast puts you at the mercy of the caster, but most commercial casters are good people. Cast bullets ARE cheaper than jacketed and (after buying molds and other equipment) home cast are even cheaper.PLUS you KNOW what you are getting.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:16 AM »
Cast bullets will save you money for sure. Several factors can cause fouling, but the most common is improper fit. A cast bullet needs to be .001"-.002" larger than bore size, some folks even go .003".
As far as speed goes, I get 1775 FPs out of my Marlin .357 lever with no fouling. I don't think your .44 will be going any faster than that.
Cast bullets also penetrate very deeply and generally don't ruin as much meat from bloodshot, like an expanding jacketed round would.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:10:24 AM »
I have 5, .44 Magnums and none have seen a jacketed bullet in at least 12 years. I started buying lead bullets from Beartooth Bullets (they sell them with diameters from .429"-.432"). It's a little more involved loading lead, but nothing that can't be learned in two or three loading sessions, but bullet fit is key to clean, accurate lead shooting (for revolvers, size or purchase bullets the same size as the cylinder throats, ie; my Ruger has throats .431" so I shoot bullets .431". No leading and accurate). For my semi-autos I shoot lead bullets .002+" over groove diameter. If yer thinkin' of reloading lead bullets read Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Fer some reason, I enjoy shooting lead bullets much more than jacketed.
If your just starting to reload I'd suggest starting with a tried and true load. Mebbe a 240 gr. jacketed soft nose and a med. load of 2400 (or "the load" of 10 gr. Unique). Load and shoot a few hundred then branch out to lead.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
Some like lead and do well hunting with it and I see nothing wrong with it. I like jacketed bullets for hunting Hornady XTP to name names . They are easy to load and work well . I do load lots of lead for pratice though. Its just those big XTP's look just right in a business gun. BTW copper fouling will show up also so jacketed bullets foul also. I would also say if you switch back and forth clean your gun well. The forcing cone can build up fouling as can the chamber throats.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
DO NOT SHOOT CAST BULLITS

once you do.....just to save a few dollars
you will see how good they really are
next thing you know you will be trying to cast your own

you will be begging for lead  like some kind of  drug addict
spending  your kids lunch money on  molds

YOU WILL SPEND MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER  SAVE CASTING
and be out there finding  lead  that elongs to me
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
For my Ruger .44 mag I shoot jacketed bullets for mag loads. For plinking and playing I down load to .44 special loads and shoot lead, well wheel weights. I also cast my own. My .45 colts see nothing else.

Offline keith44

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
My Super RedHawk has never seen a jacketed bullet, nor a factory loaded round.  Max velocity, or plinkers that are on the lower end of .44 special loads (speed wise) with no leading nor fouling issues for the past 13+ years.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA