Author Topic: Have you ever tried to do "absolutely nothing?"  (Read 1472 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Have you ever tried to do "absolutely nothing?"
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »
That's what the doc told me Friday.   :(   I can't even cook!  ::)   But when I finish here I'm going to show Kathie how to get some ribs in the oven...  ;)

Seems a bit of cholesterol broke loose from somewhere, then wandered around in my blood system until ended up blocking the blood vessel to my right eye.  That vessel then ruptured.  So far I've lost about 50% of the vision in my right eye...  :(   The Doc says my vision may improve some with treatment...  :( :(

Sure am glad the doc didn't say I couldn't do any 12 ounce curls!  I'm doing a bunch of those!!   :P

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Have you ever tried to do "absolutely nothing?"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:42:49 AM »
Dang it Richard, take it easy! You do not want to loose your sight, even in one eye. It is tough, to "just set around" but the alternative is too bad to think about.

Good Luck and Good Sippin'  - No shootin' for you! - for a while anyway
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
As much of a downer as "doing nothing" is, the alternative is so much more of a "downer" :( take care of yourself and enjoy the curl's ::) Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
Sorry to hear this Richard but take it easy and trim that shimming material to spec's.
jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
Hope your vision improves rapidly. Those 12 ounce curls are great blood thinners.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
Richard, do what the doc says.  You don't want to mess around with that.  A fella' I work with had a similar situation, and now 4 years later his vision is almost totally back...just some eyeglasses.  We gonna' count on you doing the same.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »
hey richard, you get better yahear !!! an doan let them biceps, wrist an elbow get weak.....i'm
with ya ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

Glad to hear you at least have the cause and effect down.

Take it easy on that elbow, don't want to wear it out.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
I just went down and pulled a rifle out of a safe to look through the scope.  Just happened to be my 7x57 Handi.   :D

Nothing...  :-\  Can't see the crosshairs or much of anything...  :'(

When the doc told me I may get some of the sight back in months or years if ever, I said to him "I've got 3 safes full of rifles and pistols.  The shooting sports are the most important activities in my life, and you're telling me I can't shoot anymore!?"   ???

He went on about how I could still be involved but at a different level or some such crap.  Never really said what he meant...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:01 AM »
When I read the title I was gonna say EVERY DAY, but after reading more IT'S not so funny. I hope it turns out OK for you soon. Take it easy and do what they say. Don't sound like a good thing. I'm doing some curls for you, it comes in a big glass bottle, not a can, I mix tonic water with it as the doc told me the Quinine is good for leg cramps. Haven't had one for a long time ;D  Good Luck!

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
Here's hoping things get back to normal for you soon.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Hate to hear about your sight problem, do as the doc says. Now to avoid to much activity going to and from the fridge get some tall boys or better yet some 40's, and stay close to the back porch for lizard draining. lol

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
Richard, let Katie cook the ribs.  You been standing tall for her while she did her fightin' now it's time you to let her be there for you.  Good luck and get well my friend!

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Now you take it easy, you hear?  Follow the doc's orders.  Then start thinking about becoming a lefty and using your left eye for aiming.  That would be easier than putting an offset in each stock so you can shoot cross-dominant!  But first you have to heal up.  Give it a chance - we are all pulling for you.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
Richard, let Katie cook the ribs.  You been standing tall for her while she did her fightin' now it's time you to let her be there for you.  Good luck and get well my friend!

BB
BB put it right on the nail head.  You take care of yourself damnit, I don't care that you are an attorney, yer still one of the family!  Hope ya don't have to start shootin left handed, could take a while to master.  I can eat with the fork in my left hand, but wore holes in my face, (4 of em in a straight row :o ), for a month or 2 till I got it right. :-[   Get better Bro.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
take it real easy you can do things later. good luck.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
Richard, I didn't read this thread yesterday......thought it was just about doing nuthin during the Summer dog days.  I had a very similar thing happen a few years back.  A leak in the back of the retina left me with a blind spot in the center of my right eye.  Couldn't see the crosshairs and the target was a blur.  It's somewhat better now.  I did teach myself to shoot left handed, but the reflexes to throw the gun to my left shoulder aren't there.  If I need a serious, long range shot at a small target, I'd better do it left handed.  Patty's right handed, but shoots lefty ??? ??? ???   I know you ain't gonna give up shooting, so the best thing is to start thinking left handed and practice sighting that way.  It's awkward at first, but it'll get easier. 

Welcome to the golden years :o

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Needles

• Avid Poster
  • What the Thinker thinks the Prover proves.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »
Take it easy, man! Check with your doc about taking a high dose of time release niacin. Niacin actually dissolves cholesterol, as well as raising your HDL levels. You don't need to take it if you have diabetes or liver disease, and don't take it without talking to your doc if you're already taking a statin drug. The side effects are annoying, but not too bad. The "flush free" variety does nothing. You can minimize flushing by taking the time release type. Or you can take aspirin or about 30 minutes before the niacin.

http://wwwhealthcentral.com/cholesterol/c/7986/17940/myths-facts

http://www.medicinenet.com/niacin/article.htm
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, the night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."  Patrick Rothfuss

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »
hope everything gets back to normal for you . I had to shoot left hand for about a year can you switch sides for a while ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »
To answer your question, YES, and for an active person it is pure Hell. I have known you for some time, around here, and know you can do it. If ya got plenty canned soda  ;) it will be a breeze.  Serious now you take care and do what the Dr. says.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:07 AM »
These are the times to watch the movies you never got to, read the books you never read, learn to tie all those knots on GROG, and LIVE in your head for awhile. I am sure you have plenty of experiences to play reruns for some time. Like being shipwrecked, or imprisoned, or a hostage, waiting for rescue in a mine.....best of luck.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline glockmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 03:38:44 AM »
Richard, take care and do what the Dr. sez! That way you can get back in the shooting game quicker. Keep us in the loop and we will keep you in our prayers. Take care, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that Richard, hopefully you'll recover your sight and we pray that you do, but look on the bright side, most Handis are ambidextrous.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 04:05:24 AM »

Ah TS... If it were just a matter of not breaking off anymore globs of cholesterol to float around and cause a stroke, I would agree with you!  Hi-ebber, and day always be a hi-ebber,

...watch the movies you never got to, read the books you never read, learn to tie all those knots on GROG, ...

all require vision.  And while the good eye is 20/40, looking through both eyes causes severe distortion of the vision through the good eye.   :(  I have spent half a fortune on pay-per-view in the last couple of days trying it out but it ain't much fun!   ::)  It made me think about getting a patch for the eye...  :-\  I'd be looking BAD riding my bike wearing one!   ;D  If I could ride, which I can't... limited depth perception and a big blind spot according to the optomologist...  :(  Which reminds me.  I got to renew my driver's license before the 14th... And I understand I can't do it on line this year... something about a vision test...  ::)

So that leaves

LIVE in your head for awhile. I am sure you have plenty of experiences to play reruns for some time.

Oh I got plenty of 'speriences!  Most of them I'd rather forget!   ;)  And I always said a man can't live in the past.  So my mind naturally kicks into all my unfinished projects and new ones I want to start... Oh well, we'll see how the fine detail work goes and like has been said, I'll just have to learn to shoot left handed...  :-\

BTW, what's GROG?  You got me thinking about knot tieing and all those knots my daddy taught me to tie.  None of which I remember now!   ::)

And that got me thinking of leather lacing which I want to play with.  I did a laced hammer strap for one of my SAA holsters that is a copy of the one on what his name's holster in the movie "3:10 from Yuma."  Oh goody!  Another project!   ;D See what happens when I live in my head!   ::)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:44 AM »
look on the bright side, most Handis are ambidextrous.  ;)

By golly Tim!  You're right!   :o  When I grabbed a Handi to look through a scope, I grabbed the only one I have with a (right hand) thumb-hole stock!   ::)

And, since Pete can ring gongs at 100's of yards shooting his Handies weak handed, there's hope for me!

I always said I can do anything I want to if I put my mind to it, now I have another opportunity to prove it!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
To the Captain of Horse,
Long ago and far away you commanded a mechanical monster into the air in support of other troops.  In his own good time the Flight Surgeon and regulations would take you out of the air.  From his decision there is no reprieve.  Out of the air you chose to attend the Bar as an attourney.  Now you reach a point where your physician has once again placed limits, temporary, on you.
At the time you were doing dustoff I was wandering around Slovak and Prersian territory.  When in Hungary I came across two things that I had never heard of before, Slivovitz and Karoly Takcs the national drink and the Hero of Hungary respectivley.  Please Google "Karoly Takacs".  Your avatar reads bikes, guns, and a good woman.  With luck you will get back the first two, you still have the best of the three at your side.  Get a side car and let the good woman drive, mount a Ma Deuce pintle on the side car and keep a big Browning handy to where you sit along with three belts of ammo.  If Karoly can figure it out, you can.
Gettin old ain't for sissies,
Captain of Horse, mount up.

hodr
Ranger, like my father before me
TANSTAAFL

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
I saw this yesterday and am very sorry I didn't take the time to read it then.
I sure hope your vision returns ol pal.
As I was reading it I though maybe you had a heart attack or something along that line.
I had an Aunt that had the same thing happen to her only she wae totally blind for three days but her vision returned almost as good as before.
I will pray for the same recovery for you my friend.
Do as the doc says and be careful that you don't get BC (beer can) elbow!  ;) :D
May GOD speed your recovery!!!

Frank                                                                                        aka   LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
Move over my good friend, there are a bunch of prayers enroute that will be right next to you and will stay with you for all your needs....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline blind ear

• eddiegjr
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »
Good luck Richard, I hope you recover well. Add grape seed oil to your diet for any frying and dressings. It can be your major fat source. ear
Oath Keepers: start local
-
“It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking.” – Ron Paul, End the Fed
-
An economic crash like the one of the 1920s is the only thing that will get the US off of the road to Socialism that we are on and give our children a chance at a future with freedom and possibility of economic success.
-
everyone hears but very few see. (I can't see either, I'm not on the corporate board making rules that sound exactly the opposite of what they mean, plus loopholes) ear
"I have seen the enemy and I think it's us." POGO
St Judes Childrens Research Hospital

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »
switch to shooting lefty, I did and its fine. hope you do well.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet