Author Topic: Tough ID laws may stop thousands from voting.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Tough ID laws may stop thousands from voting.
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mhHGvpPIVUASupXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1bmc3NHE4BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA01TWTAwMV8xMTg-/SIG=143b0bmr6/EXP=1341819591/**http%3a//www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jul/08/tough-id-laws-could-block-thousands-of-2012/%3fpreventMobileRedirect=1

Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votesAssociated PressBy MIKE BAKER | Associated Press – 6 hrs ago         

• FILE - In this June 19, 2012 file photo, Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann holds a postcard to help identify voters in need of a free state government issued card that will be issued through his office at no charge, in Jackson, Miss. More than two dozen states have some form of ID requirement, and 11 of those passed new rules over the past two years largely at the urging of Republicans who say they want to prevent fraud. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File) FILE - In this June 19, 2012 file …
  • FILE - In this Jan. 10, 2012 file photo, election officials check the photo identification card of a voter in Cimarron, Kan. Voter ID laws designed to deter fraud may end up blocking thousands of legitimate ballots. As more states put in place strict voter ID rules, an AP review of temporary ballots from Indiana and Georgia, which first adopted the most stringent standards, found that more than 1,200 such votes were tossed during the 2008 general election. (AP Photo/The The Hutchinson News, Travis Morisse, File) FILE - In this Jan. 10, 2012 file …
  • FILE - In this Jan. 10, 2012 file photo, election officials check the photo identification card of a voter in Cimarron, Kan. Voter ID laws designed to deter fraud may end up blocking thousands of legitimate ballots. As more states put in place strict voter ID rules, an AP review of temporary ballots from Indiana and Georgia, which first adopted the most stringent standards, found that more than 1,200 such votes were tossed during the 2008 general election. (AP Photo/The The Hutchinson News, Travis Morisse, File) FILE - In this Jan. 10, 2012 file …
   When Edward and Mary Weidenbener went to vote in Indiana's primary in May, they didn't realize that state law required them to bring government photo IDs such as a driver's license or passport.
The husband and wife, both approaching 90 years old, had to use a temporary ballot that would be verified later, even though they knew the people working the polling site that day. Unaware that Indiana law obligated them to follow up with the county election board, the Weidenbeners ultimately had their votes rejected — news to them until informed recently by an Associated Press reporter.
Edward Weidenbener, a World War II veteran who had voted for Mitt Romney in the Republican presidential contest, said he was surprised by the rules and the consequences.
"A lot of people don't have a photo ID. They'll be automatically disenfranchised," he said.
As more states put in place strict voter ID rules, an AP review of temporary ballots from Indiana and Georgia, which first adopted the most stringent standards, found that more than 1,200 such votes were tossed during the 2008 general election.
During sparsely attended primaries this year in Georgia, Indiana and Tennessee, the states implementing the toughest laws, hundreds more ballots were blocked.
The numbers suggest that the legitimate votes rejected by the laws are far more numerous than are the cases of fraud that advocates of the rules say they are trying to prevent. Thousands more votes could be in jeopardy for this November, when more states with larger populations are looking to have similar rules in place.
More than two dozen states have some form of ID requirement, and 11 of those passed new rules over the past two years largely at the urging of Republicans who say they want to prevent fraud.
Democrats and voting rights groups fear that ID laws could suppress votes among people who may not typically have a driver's license, and disproportionately affect the elderly, poor and minorities. While the number of votes is a small percentage of the overall total, they have the potential to sway a close election. Remember that the 2000 presidential race was decided by a 537-vote margin in Florida.
A Republican leader in Pennsylvania said recently that the state's new ID law would allow Romney to win the state over President Barack Obama.
Supporters of the laws cite anecdotal cases of fraud as a reason that states need to do more to secure elections, but fraud appears to be rare. As part of its effort to build support for voter ID laws, the Republican National Lawyers Association last year published a report that identified some 400 election fraud prosecutions over a decade across the entire country. That's not even one per state per year.
ID laws would not have prevented many of those cases because they involved vote-buying schemes in local elections or people who falsified voter registrations.
Election administrators and academics who monitor the issue said in-person fraud is rare because someone would have to impersonate a registered voter and risk arrest. A 2008 Supreme Court case drew detailed briefs from the federal government, 10 states and other groups that identified only nine potential impersonation cases over the span of several years, according to a tally by the Brennan Center at New York University.
Michael Thielen, executive director of the Republican lawyers group, said its survey was not comprehensive and he believes vote fraud is a serious problem.
"Most of it goes unreported and unprosecuted," he said.
Several election administrators, even those who support ID laws as a barrier to potential fraud, said the rejected ballots in their counties appeared to be legitimate voters who simply did not fulfill their ID obligations.
Donna Sharp, the administrator of elections in Hawkins County, Tenn., said she saw no signs of fraud. Of the seven people who cast absentee ballots, six didn't come in to confirm their identity. Sharp knew one of them personally.
But Sharp said she supports the ID law despite initial concerns. She said most people were aware of the requirement and able to provide their identification, and she thought the rules provided an extra layer of security.
"We want to protect those voters who do need their vote to count — the people who are doing things in an honest manner," Sharp said.
Some administrators speculated that voters who didn't return to verify their identity may have deduced that the ballot wouldn't alter the outcome of the election.
Indiana, Georgia and Tennessee require that voters provide a photo ID at the polls. Failing that, voters can use a temporary ballot that can be verified later, when they must meet with local elections administrators to sort out the matter.
Pennsylvania is putting a similar law in place for the November election. Kansas has comparable rules. Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin are moving in that direction of having rules set for this year if they survive court challenges and federal approval.
Virginia had a rule allowing voters without proper ID to sign an identity statement; a false claim could make them subject to felony punishment. Under a new law awaiting final approval from the Justice Department, voters who do not bring proper ID, which doesn't necessarily have to have a photo, must use a temporary ballot and later provide ID to the local election board.
Georgia had 873 rejected temporary ballots due to ID from the 2008 general election while only about 300 ID temporary ballots were counted. The state also had 64 ID-related temporary ballots tossed in the presidential primary this year.
Indiana counties that maintained information from the 2008 election reported having hundreds of ballots tossed, and more than 100 more were rejected in the primary this year. The numbers can vary greatly depending on the election: Tippecanoe County, for example, had no ID-related temporary ballots excluded in the primary vote this year compared with 47 in the 2008 general election.
Tennessee had 154 blocked ballots in its March primary.
Keesha Gaskins, a senior counsel at the Brennan Center who has opposed voter ID laws, said she believes the numbers are significant and also underestimate the impact of voter ID laws. She said those numbers don't take into account people who were discouraged from showing up to vote in the first place or who may be turned away by poll workers. Even voters in states with less-strict ID laws may not get the proper explanation about how the process works without ID.
Beyond that, Gaskin said, rejecting even hundreds of ballots in an election is significant.
"These are still people who attempted to vote and who were unable to do so," Gaskins said. "When you compare that to the actual evidence of fraud, the difference is exponential."
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Cuts Crooked

Re: Tough ID laws mat stop thousands from voting.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
Interesting! I note that the article carefully avoids mentioning any hard data, in spite of the claims it makes. I suppose it's another one of those "better a thousand phony votes counted than one real vote lost" things. :-\
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline powderman

Re: Tough ID laws mat stop thousands from voting.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
The liberal democrats are dead set against voter ID, especially a pic ID. They need the illegal criminal votes. I see no problem with having to show a pic ID to vote. If ya don't have one, get one. Only liberal democrats, illegals and other criminals would object to folks knowing who they are. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Re: Tough ID laws may stop thousands from voting.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »
Having some kind of ID req'd to vote, won't inconvenience most, but will some

personally, I don't think I should have to show my papers to vote, but then I might address them in Spanish just to goad

I think really stringent requirements - some kind of special card? - will result in a lot more citizens NOT getting to vote, than in preventing non-citizens from voting.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
You have to show ID to get a drivers license
You have to show ID when you buy that gun at the store
Heck, sometimes you even have to show ID to deal at your own bank
What's wrong with a positive ID to vote!
If we would have had that in 08 maybe the fool that's in there now wouldn't have won!!!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 04:19:57 AM »
My take on this:
If you are to lazy or disinterested in knowing what is required to vote you are not qualified to make an intelligent decision on the candidates.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
Just think how many times a person could vote if they don't have to show an ID.
And "NO"! I don't want to dip my finger in purple ink either.  Hopefully, our system is better than Iraq's.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:45:06 AM »
"My take on this:
If you are to lazy or disinterested in knowing what is required to vote you are not qualified to make an intelligent decision on the candidates.
"
       Well said. I think everyone has a right to vote but also a responsibility. How needing a valid I.D. to vote presents a hardship is beyond me. I don't see how anyone can function in to days society without an I.D.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:00:38 AM »
In our society today one needs a photo ID to even break wind! :o

Anyone showing up at the polls without a valid ID is either an idiot and should not be permitted to vote, or they are illegal.......and should not be permitted to vote.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline powderman

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
If we would have had that in 08 maybe the fool that's in there now wouldn't have won!!!

LT. Amen to that, he's still pandering and buying criminal votes. POWDERMAN. :o :o

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:00:36 AM »
Well said. I think everyone has a right to vote but also a responsibility. How needing a valid I.D. to vote presents a hardship is beyond me. I don't see how anyone can function in to days society without an I.D.

Apparently it was a hardship for elderly couple in PMan's quoted article.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:09:52 AM »

Dah.........and I'm still trying to figger that one out. Can't drive any more? Then get a state issued ID from the DOT! It's cheaper than the license anyway!

And how did they get to be so old and retain moron status? :o

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »
My take on this:

that is about the best way to put it.
If you have ever seen an older person vote that needed someone to point out which canidates to vote for you would see the need for ID and the ablity to aquire it.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »

If you have ever seen an older person vote that needed someone to point out which candidates to vote for you would see the need for ID and the ability to acquire it.

Many many years ago as an observer in a local election shortly after our little town went from paper ballots to machine( mechanical not electronic)  I and an observer from the other party went into the both with a person demonstration how to move the levers. This sort of help I have no problems with.

Funny part of this election was a Voter behind the curtain hollering " Which lever do I pull to vote for a straight ticket for the X party. Sort of nixed the idea of a "secret ballot."

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:43:53 AM »
I'm proud to show my ID when I vote and proud to wear the I VOTED sticker too. I worked in a liquor store for 8 years and I ID a lot of folks. Some I checked just because of their attitude and or behaviour and I wanted to know exactly who they were and where they were from. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:20 AM »

If you have ever seen an older person vote that needed someone to point out which candidates to vote for you would see the need for ID and the ability to acquire it.

Many many years ago as an observer in a local election shortly after our little town went from paper ballots to machine( mechanical not electronic)  I and an observer from the other party went into the both with a person demonstration how to move the levers. This sort of help I have no problems with.

Funny part of this election was a Voter behind the curtain hollering " Which lever do I pull to vote for a straight ticket for the X party. Sort of nixed the idea of a "secret ballot."

what i saw was pointing out where to punch by family members ...............

Offline powderman

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AuGD0COUuheL00ZNTcdlU7WbvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVhanVlb2t1BGEDMTIwNzEwIG5ld3MgYmxvZyBob2xkZXIgcG9sbCB0YXggdARjY29kZQNwemJ1YWxsY2FoNQRjcG9zAzEEZwNpZC0yNDE2Mzg3BGludGwDdXMEbWNvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEbXBvcwM3BHBrZ3QDNARwa2d2AzgEcG9zAzIEc2VjA3RkLXBvbARzbGsDdGl0bGUEdGVzdAM3MDEEd29lAzEyNzc1MTUw/SIG=13fqsca0u/EXP=1342057500/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/eric-holder-voter-id-laws-call-those-poll-193012336.html

YOUR FRIENDS' ACTIVITY            Eric Holder on voter ID laws: ‘We call those poll taxes’By Conor Skelding | The Ticket – 6 hrs ago    Click image to view more photos. (Chris Graythen/Getty Images)     Speaking before the NAACP, Attorney General Eric Holder departed from his prepared speech on Tuesday, decrying voter ID laws that have been proposed in 10 states so far. Talking Points Memo reports:

"Under the proposed law, concealed handgun licenses would be acceptable forms of photo ID, but student IDs would not," Holder said. "Many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them, and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them. We call those poll taxes."
Holder isn't the first to say such laws are racist. Benjamin Todd Jealous, CEO and president of the NCAAP, evoked the civil rights movement Monday, comparing the moment to "Selma and Montgomery times." Jealous unilaterally opposed the laws, saying, "Simply put, the NAACP will never stand by as any state tries to encode discrimination into law."
Mitt Romney will speak before the NAACP on Wednesday. Jealous, who posits that Romney could garner more votes from African Americans than John McCain did in 2008 when Barack Obama received 96 percent of the black vote, believes Romney's economic message has not played well so far.
"If he's going to pick up more support in the black community," Jealous told the Times, "he has to send a message that he's prepared to lead on issues that we care about." For Jealous, that means opposing voter ID laws.
Romney has so far been reticent to discuss the issue. Andrea Saul, a campaign spokeswoman, told the Times only, "Gov. Romney believes that every legal vote should count."

Offline narcedglocker

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »
God forbid you stop illegals from illegally voting.  Damn RACISTS!!!

Offline powderman

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 05:20:33 AM »
Only a libbydem would throw out the race card for NOT having a photo ID, then again, thats holder, an obummer clone. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:09 AM »
........................ Some I checked just because of their attitude and or behaviour and I wanted to know exactly who they were and where they were from.

That reads like "profiling" to me. :D :D

Offline jimster

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
It's not true that needing an ID to vote keeps people from voting, I am proof. I have to have ID here, and I never missed a vote at local, state or fed levels, not ever.  So it's an outright lie that that would keep anyone from voting.  No, it does not cost anything to get a simple ID either, another myth.  We don't have poor people here that can't get an ID...most are all fat and play the lotto all day with our tax money anyway.
You want to vote, you'll vote....you don't want to vote, you won't. Pretty simple concept, and I for one like the idea of having to show that you are you, and that you voted ONCE at the proper location and are a citizen.  The only reason to not have any controls at the voting booth is to pick up votes from people who should not be voting at all.  There is no other reason to want no controls at the voting booth.
The story in this thread is a real tear jerker...but it's only for effect.  We have people voting here that are in their 90's, and a couple of my neighbors are approaching 90's, and sitting at the table asking for Id's and handing out the paper work...gee...how can that be??  No stories on that in the news is there?  So I guess because an elderly couple didn't know how it worked, the whole fence has to come down eh? Typical left wing solution to a problem that does not exist. 

Offline powderman

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
........................ Some I checked just because of their attitude and or behaviour and I wanted to know exactly who they were and where they were from.

That reads like "profiling" to me. :D :D

HEH, it sure was, and very effective. POWDERMAN.  ;) ;)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 04:56:39 AM »
I.D.-its a part of everyday life. GET OVER IT!!!
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 05:01:47 AM »
I look at things different ya'll know that. Are the dumb-o-crats trying to tell us voting is not worth protecting the integrety of it ?

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:38 AM »
Not one bit if it favors them.

Like that Jarrett woman said,  We don't care if it is a tax or it isn't just as long as we get the money.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »

YT - My dad was in his 90's before he passed, and he got an ID without a problem, and to him it wasn't a hardship.  If your legal, how difficult is it to get a state issued ID?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
Democrats support voter fraud because they rely so heavily on it to win.  All this talk about "racism" is a cover.

Why is it so difficult for non-whites to comply with the same obligations of citizenship as white people?

In California they relaxed penalties for driving without a driver's license, registration  and insurance because it  was "racist" to hold Hispanics to the same legal standards as white people.   There's also a proposal to allow a "cultural defense" to statutory rape because intercourse between adult Hispanic males and  girls as young as 10 is so prevalent in the Hispanic "community" and so many statutory rape cases are occurring.  California doesn't have the  money to prosecute and imprison murderers and armed robbers so this is their easy way of dealing with Hispanic  males who have intercourse with 10 year old girls!   Give them a pass because it's part of their "culture."   

JUST LIKE VOTER FRAUD and other forms of corruption are part of Hispanic culture. .   

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5p70YbRiPw

"I'll be back faster than you can say furious"   ;D ;D ;D ;D
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline powderman

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
BILLY. Thanks for the link. Don't need no steenking  ID. This is how pedro and pancho vote, no ID needed. The dems rely on those votes. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
Anyopne wants to come vote here in MN I am a registered voter, all I have to do is vouch that your name is John Smith, Doe, Nelson, ect. ect and you can vote because I am a registered voter.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.