Author Topic: Home Made Cannon Explodes, Owner Soon To Be Charged With "Something" -Link Fixed  (Read 1824 times)

Offline carmy53

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
From my state of Massachusetts of course:
  Mystery hole in Gardner house leads to cannon law inquiry

GARDNER — A man who had been away from his Cleveland Street house Tuesday was surprised when he returned July 4 to find a hole clear through the wall, police said.   
Patrolman Cormier went next door to 29 Cleveland St. and spoke with Timothy Lizotte, who told the officer he had lighted a ceremonial cannon the night before. When he did, the barrel exploded. 
Had the discharge been from a .22-caliber pistol instead of a cannon, the shooter could be charged with discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.
But a cannon is not a firearm and apparently no firearms identification card is necessary to use one, Sgt. Braks said.

“Charges will be forthcoming,” he said, although it’s hard to say what they will be.

In other words: "We don't know if he broke any laws, but we'll keep looking until we find something to charge him with."

Full Story >>> http://www.telegram.com/article/20120707/NEWS/307079964/1116

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
It's a safe bet he didn't check the bore for obstructions.......or he put something in there for a "Louder Bang!"
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
In other words: "We don't know if he broke any laws, but we'll keep looking until we find something to charge him with."

Perhaps they could charge him with Idiocy in the First Degree. Maybe also throw in a charge of gutlessness for not leaving a note on his neighbor's door informing him of the mishap, professing gratitude that no one was hurt, offering to pay for all damages, and then giving his word that he'll never play with boom booms again, just because he's to flipping dumb to do so safely.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster

Perhaps they could charge him with Idiocy in the First Degree. Maybe also throw in a charge of gutlessness for not leaving a note on his neighbor's door informing him of the mishap, professing gratitude that no one was hurt, offering to pay for all damages, and then giving his word that he'll never play with boom booms again, just because he's to flipping dumb to do so safely.

Don't worry, they WILL find something to charge him with.
After all, according to M.G.L. # 1 , 1st paragraph , Line 1 : Everything is illegal in Massachusetts.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Did I read this as the barrel exploding and a piece of scrapnel from it piercing the wall or did he shoot a projo thru the wall?

Offline SHOOTALL

if nothing else maybe they will charge him with making a loud noise with out a permit  ;D but then they never charged their politicans with such.  ;)
as for the hole in the guys house , did the shooter even know ? 
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
Did I read this as the barrel exploding and a piece of scrapnel from it piercing the wall or did he shoot a projo thru the wall?

Dom,
It is hard to tell from the newspaper story.
It also sounds from the story that the projectile/shrapnel may have gone completely through the house next door and damaged the next house over.
 I fixed the link so you can read for yourself.

Offline SHOOTALL

The article clearly states the hole was in one wall and the scrapnel was found in the room behind a TV. It also stated the shooter did not know of the damage to the guys house. I can think os several insantances while working construvtion where an explosion or other accident caused damage to other structures that were not apperant until discovered later. This could be no more than a bbl failure . If it was a front stuffer maybe an over load or not packed tight . In most instances there needs to be intent to do harm. If the shooter did not offer to pay damages the owner can turn it over to insurance which will go after the shooter for damages anyway.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
I couldn't get the article last night, so I was just going by the few quotes that carmy53 posted in the opener, and now I be thinkin' that I might've been a little too tough on this poor guy. Here, let me emend my first text.

"Perhaps they could charge him with Idiocy in the First Degree. Maybe also throw in a charge of gutlessness for not leaving a note on his neighbor's door informing him of the mishap, professing gratitude that no one was hurt, offering to pay for all damages, and then giving his word that he'll never play with boom booms again, just because he's too flipping dumb to do so safely."
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline SHOOTALL

or it could be a bbl failure

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
It sure sounds like a barrel failure from the newspaper story.  My guess is that the guy had no idea  where the shrapnel went until he got the knock on the door. 

The damage to the houses sound like small holes, not harmless, but small none the less.

Also my guess and a guess only, smokeless powder and a piece of pipe.

Few of these  post 4th of July, New Years incident reports have pictures or follow up details of what was actually involved.  What few pictures we have seen never seem to resemble pieces or part of a real cannon, rather the look like a piece of pipe or industrial equipment.. 

Offline subdjoe

It sure sounds like a barrel failure from the newspaper story.  My guess is that the guy had no idea  where the shrapnel went until he got the knock on the door. 

The damage to the houses sound like small holes, not harmless, but small none the less.

Few of these  post 4th of July, New Years incident reports have pictures or follow up details of what was actually involved.  What few pictures we have seen never seem to resemble pieces or part of a real cannon, rather the look like a piece of pipe or industrial equipment..

First, a small correction, DD.  Shards, not shrapnel.  A small peeve of mine. 

But I'll agree with you that it was likely a device made of pipe or similar material and not an actual cannon.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

I'll agree shards is a a better description.

Offline Legio3arty

Don't worry, they WILL find something to charge him with.
After all, according to M.G.L. # 1 , 1st paragraph , Line 1 : Everything is illegal in Massachusetts.
Not quite true, according to our politicians, it isn't illegal to be an "illegal" here in MA. just ask Obama's Aunt and Uncle.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
If it was a piece of PIPE, there a some plumbing codes that he likely violated, permits not gotten and such.  They have the opportunity to be creative!  It was Massachusetts - there is a reputation to maintain!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars

It could have possibly been an ornamental cannon.  I came across a few of those even with the vent drilled.

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
Curiousity had me search this morning for more info.  As suspected, alchohol involved, pipe cannon but cast iron pipe, yikes.  Video has picture of left over cannon.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/metro-west/12007930400669/gardner-home-hit-by-shrapnel-from-neighbor-s-cannon/

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18959256/2012/07/05/gardner-family-lucky-to-be-alive-after-cannon-malfunction?clienttype=printable

Offline Double D

The old 4th of July water pipe cannon strikes again-all that is missing is a statement fo the shooter---we shoot it for years with out a problem.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Imagine that!!

Offline KABAR2

The up side of this story is he won't build more of them and end up selling them on evilbay......
glad to see no one injured by stupity....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
When you hear this in Mississippi: " HEY YALL, WATCHIS' " you better run....
Looks like a case of agrivated ignorance ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D