Author Topic: Derry the walled city  (Read 671 times)

Offline Div Arty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Derry the walled city
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
My wife was born in Derry, Doire in Gaelic and (Londonderry) as the Brits want to claim.  Doire means, grove of oaks and is one of, if not the only fully walled city in Europe.
It is located in Northern Ireland and is the landing spot of Amelia Earhart on her solo 1932 Atlantic Flight.
Derry is known as the maiden city, for the walls were never breached.  Referring mostly to the war of 1689.  Not getting into the politics of the troubles, this is about cannon.  And now they do have cannon.  After traveling back there every three or four years since the mid 60's and looking at the same 5 old weather-beated tubes poking their rusted muzzles over the Shipquay gate wall, they now sport 20 cannon around the perimeter of the wall.  13 of these are block carriages and 7 are field carriages.  The tubes have been reconditioned properly and all the carriages have been built anew, by J L Ornamental Castings and the wheels by Mike Rowland Wheelwright and Coach builder by Appointment to the Queen. Coylton, Devon.
On our last trip I was able to pick up a book about the city & the guns.  It was mentioned in an earlyer thread.  "The Great Guns Like Thunder   The Cannon from the City of Derry".  It has everything.
When Double D passes my way on the 24th, I will offer it to him to read.  When he is through he can send it on back or on to anyone else that would like to browse through it.
Hear are a few shots of cannon.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Derry the walled city
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
Nice pics! How many cannons did you have shipped to the states?   ;D   ::)
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »
It is really pleasing to see such an example of cannon presentation, and on correct and well made carriages. Well done to whomever was responsible for this impressive result - if only every Council would treat the cannon in their care with such regard.
Adrian

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
Actually I supplied the drawings to the carriagemakers- it was a fun project!
Bob Smith

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:49 AM »
Wonderful photographs and text, Div Arty! Thank you.

Actually I supplied the drawings to the carriagemakers- it was a fun project!
Bob Smith

Do you know why they chose to go with a stained finish for the wood?
Are the facetted fronts of the wheel's spokes depicted on the drawings that you provided? 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
The finish was partly dictated by being weather proof and partly dictated by the need to be able to clean off the graffitti on a very regular basis.
The wheels were based on contemporary models and some illustrations.
Bob

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »
The designs are a credit to you Bob, well done indeed.
Is the Bed Carriage design based on the surviving example from Curfew Tower in Windsor Castle?
Regards
Adrian

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Yes, it is based on the Windsor cannon; I was less happy about the half truck on those.
Bob Smith