Author Topic: Press questions  (Read 828 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Press questions
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:06:43 AM »

I want too replace my old single stage pacific press. It still works OK just getting some years on it, I bought it new in 1970. I was thinking Redding, Hornady, or RCBS rock chucker. Problem is reading the reviews on Midway, several say the new RCBS is not as good as the older ones. The Hornady gets bad reviews for the LNL feature.
I have a Redding Big Boss I use for Mag, rifle , problem is my RCBS primer pocket swag will not work with the Big Boss, over size ram. I am leaning too the Redding standard press to replace the pacific, it is the cheapest in price of the three, and I like the Redding I now have. If you have a Redding standard single stage press what do you like or dis-like about it.
And please lets not start another Lee is better discussion, If you like Lee Great. I am just not one of their fans.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Press questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »
Check the warranty on your choice. 

RCBS is higher priced but their warranty is free replacement parts and/or total replacement for free, including shipping, no questions asked, even if you messed it up yourself.  They are quite good about this as I have boogered up a bunch of stuff of theirs over the years.  They keep sending me free replacement parts and I keep purchasing RCBS.  So, one hand washes the other in this Quid pro Quo relationship.

Keep your old press on the bench for primer removal.  It'll be something you thank yourself for in time.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
I have a Pafic like your from the 70's and about 5 years ago got a Rock crusher and love it ! It was different since the front is not open like the pafic but it works well.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
Went with the Redding again. The Big Boss has been an excellent press so far. I am not sure what will become of the Pacific. The bench is a little crowded. I have the Big Boss. Then the Hornady LNL auto progressive, the Boss when it comes to replace the pacific. The RCBS bench mount priming tool, And then at the end of the bench is the Lyman lube/sizer. Come a long way from the days of one single stage press. The Redding Boss was $119.00 at Midsouth.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:07 AM »
I have 3 presses , when loading one set to do each operation  ;) .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
Personally, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the big name cast iron presses. It comes down to personal preference and the features of each that you should make up your mind about. I have an old Rock Chucker that has and is still serving me well. The only thing I did not like about it, was the way it handled the primers. I set up a cheap Lee ($20) next to it with a universal die to push out primers. I occasionally use it to pull bullets with too. Now I have a set up that works well for me. I have thought about getting a new press, but there is no good reason to change. What I have works and works well. The Redding Turret press still gets me going, but it is pricey and like I said what I have works fine.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
Yes everyone is different in the way they process brass and reload. I load three pistol rounds on the Hornady. Shell plates for the auto-progressives take a big bite out of the powder primer budget. I don’t load enough of the other pistol rounds too justify the cost of more Hornady shell plates.
I needed the Big Boss for the Magnum Rifle round. I could have used the G-RX die on the Big Boss, but not the RCBS primer pocket swager. And its nice having a second single stage set up anyway.
The old Pacific was my first press and has served me well over the years. But after 42 years I have gotten my money out of it. Pacific was taken over by Hornady and they no longer stock parts for it.
But then again its like cars, rifles, and scopes. You buy what you can afford and has worked best for you. Some that may be Lee others Forster.
For me its Ford F-150 trucks, Savage Rifles, Nikon scopes, and now Redding presses. It doesn’t make my list right for all, Its just what I can afford and has worked best for me.

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:14:49 AM »
If you contact RCBS they will send you a release cup for your swager that fits the fat rams.  They sent me one for free that I use with my Lee Classic Cast.  Forgive me for using the L.. word.  I don't have the Boss but I do have two Ultramags on the bench.  Redding makes some nice stuff.