Author Topic: good find(s)  (Read 596 times)

Offline shiprex

• Trade Count: (0)
good find(s)
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:39:26 AM »
I went to a local national chain (hint: G.M.) this past weekend and found two really nice deals.  The first was a pardner 12ga., 24" with non-rifled/standardbarrel and basic rifle sites.  It was a 1995-96 Whitetail version with beautiful laminated wood and the gold medalion in the stock.  This caught my eye because of the wood, and this shotgun was in new/perfect condition.  I thought the price was fair at $149.  Got it home and through further inspection, the ejector would not work, but with just a little spray and prying, it popped right out. It also needs a good snap to lock it up, but I think that will get better with use.  I would imagine the person had it sitting in the box and tryed to fire it, but it wouldn't eject, so got rid of it.  The wood is now on my 44mag and looks great along with the laminated wood grips of the Ruger SBH.  Nice set for whitetail.  The shotgun is now wearing standard synthetic stocks and will be a rough gun.

Now for the 'more-better' deal.  A young sales person/gunsmith walked out of the back room with a rifle and set it in the rack just as I walked by.  It was a Marlin Camp 45 priced at...now wait for it....$249.  It is in almost perfect appearance condition.  I said 'I'll take that, too" and then asked 'what's wrong with it.'  The kid said 'I changed a worn pin and I had to glue that little plastic thing in the back, back together.  I asked him if he meant the buffer.  Yeah, I think that's what it is.  He said an older gentleman brought it in because it wouldn't fire and had a hard time getting it put back together.  Brought it home with the 12ga., took it apart and the pins were fine...a little wear where I think the owner had tried to fix it and force it back together without knowing the feed-ramp tricks.  Amazing is the gunsmith tried to glue the 'plastic thing' back together and into the space it fit.  That buffer was completely crushed and glued together like it was putty.  It took some prying, but I got it all out and cleaned.  I already had an extra replacement buffer I ordered when fixing a Camp 9.  The wood is not fancy, but no cracks behind the chamber and in near new condition.  Now, I just need a 21# sping and it will be perfect.  Still need to see if it fires, but for $249, I thought I can't go wrong.   Now I have a complete set Camp 9 and 45, and didn't have to pay $750 for the 45.  Even my wife didn't give both evil eyes.

I just love matching pistol/rifle rounds.  They are my favorites to shot and hunt.

Shiprex

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: good find(s)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:08:07 AM »
done good..a fellow was walkin around a gun show with the 9mm version on his shoulder..he was asking $200..must have sold it, because later a different fellow was walking around with it on his shoulder!
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »
i have both camps... and i've been offered well over $1500 for both asa pair.
they are imaculate of course....an tha 45 ain't never been fired. the 9 wud'nt been ifin j2 in his
don't G.A.S. adolescence days of youth shot it while i was away :o   but hey, i'd done tha same thang.... hellieven prolly dun worse... i know i'd dun way worse ;)
but them camp's will never part this family..........no

i think ya dun good with yur match'n marlins ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline glockmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
shiprex, sounds to me as if you did real Good. As the old saying goes, some day you eat bear, some days the bear eats you. Well, sounds like today You eat bear. Enjoy both handi's and take care, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
Sounds like you got a Tracker 1, ya lucky dawg! ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(