Author Topic: 45-70 throater  (Read 302 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
45-70 throater
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
From those who have done it... got the 45-70 throater.  Now how do I do it so the throat is concentric, and how deep.  Doing it to use for Paper Patch and some longer bullets I don't have yet..  Don't have a lathe and I cant' bottom out length with the rim section like with the 357 maxi reamer.

Anyone ever make a guide from a 45-70 shell?  Guidance appreciated.  Will be studying FAQs if anything there.

Thanks...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: 45-70 throater
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:31:11 AM »
What I did was take a 45-70 case and cut a slot in it down one side slightly longer than the seated bullet, and then I inserted a bullet into the slotted case, and set the overall COL.   I took a marker and darkened the bullet nose so I could tell if it touched the lands, and then I would ream a little at a time and use the mock cartridge to check, and if it pushed the bullet down into the case after touching the lands, I knew I had to go a little deeper.   Eventually after a couple of tries I arrived at the depth I wanted.  Might not be the proper way of doing it, but that is how I did it.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.