Author Topic: Hey everyone! (50-140 discussion-range report added)  (Read 11918 times)

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
Hey everyone! (50-140 discussion-range report added)
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
Hopefully some of you remember me.  I used to hang out here a lot, then college started.  I tried to get on a few times and for whatever reason GBO wouldn't work for me.

I'll try to check in here more often, everyone here is great.  A little background, since I've went to school I am a Marketing major, and plan on working in the firearms industry after I get my degree.  ;)

Currently I am interning at GA Precision, they are an extremely popular long range/precision custom rifle company.  I'm doing lots of product demos for their rifles, making videos for youtube and the website this summer.  If anyone is interested in what I've been doing, here is a link to my page that has my work on it: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/tykempster?feature=guide

I still have the 45-120, although I haven't been able to shoot it much the past couple years.   :-\

However, I do love the big boomers, at GAP I'm building a 375 WSM with a thin 16" barrel and a carbon fiber stock from Manners.  Should be around 5 lbs finished hopefully!  Not quite a Handi-Rifle, although if they'd make a bigger/stronger action I would love to do something really big.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Hey everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
Welcome back Ty.  We missed you.  Did the black and blue on your shoulder ever clear up ??? :o :o ;D ;D ;D   Congrats on your summer internship and the career you've chosen.  It is really sad that you have to do what you love best and get paid for it.  We all wish you the best.  Don't be a stranger.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Welcome back Tyler, glad ta see ya again and hear you're doin good, we're proud of ya!! ;)  If'n ya want a .375" Handi, ya might consider the 376 Steyr, mine seems to work fine so far, 235gr Speers at 2700fps, not too shabby for a Handi!  8) BTW, I saw your thread on the 375WSM and query about Talley rings, I have em on my Tikka T3 Lite 338WM, they seem to work fine although I have only shot around 60 rounds thru it, they're good rings, lots of em used in the Tikka forum here, just wish the H&R version was lots lower.  ::)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »

Glad to hear from you again Ty. If you were trying to get into GBO thru a school server they might have the sight blocked due to content. Keep trying.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
Tyler!   :o  Glad to hear from you boy!  We missed you!   :'(  But you are spoken of often and affectionately.  And us that have raised kids know that y'all have to leave the nest...  :-\  Puberty will do that to you... ;D

Get Tim to tell you about the .499 Hubel he built!  My 45-120 is in the rebuilding stage and the 50-140 is progressing.  Well, I got the dies...  ::)

Stick around son, like I say we missed you!   :-*  AND I want pics of some of them college girls gone wild!   :P

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
Well Tim...you're up.  Tell me about this .499  :D

Atl...50-140 you say?  More!

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »
Hi Ty!
Glad to hear from you again.
Been quit a while.
Miss hearing about those 700+ grainers you shoot from your 120.
Have not done much with mine yet except get the dies and brass.
Need to load some soon.
Like Richard, my 50-140 is in the making also.
I have the brass.
Will get around to the rest shortly!!!
Glad you are back.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »
must be that time of the year when all of us wayward sons return home for a little while.

nice seeing ya again
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:07 AM »
Well Tim...you're up.  Tell me about this .499  :D

Atl...50-140 you say?  More!

Not much to say on the 499HE yet, it's only been to the range once and I have a lot more loads to work up with to reach max, but it has the potential to push 385gr Rem Corelokt bonded over 2400fps at safe pressures tho. I've got a 50-140 in the works too, already have an extra BC barrel, brass and dies, just need to send the barrel to Jess for reboring and chambering, the last two I sent(376 Steyr and 9.3x62) were done in just a week.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,251280.msg1099467523.html#msg1099467523

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:03 AM »
Well now you guys have me thinking again.  And that's never good for my wallet.

What performance levels are capable from the .499 and the 50-140 comparatively?  I'd quickload it, but my laptop died and I lost it.

What price is involved to make a 50-140?  Reboring the barrel is it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »
Jess does 3-groove rebores for $225 and 4 or 5-groove for $250 which includes the rechamber(if he has the reamer) and return shipping, if he has to rent a floating pilot(required, no solid pilot) reamer, he charges $60 more. I haven't talked to him about the 50-140 yet, but he lists the 50AK which has the same bore I believe. Dies are spendy, CH4D sells the set for $166, I plan on trying a 50-90 die set with a modified FL die, they're a lot cheaper and available. Finding brass in a big issue now I think, I got Jamison brass from Grafs Buffalo Arms when they had it, but they're out of stock now and Jamison is out of business.  :-\

Tim

http://www.buffaloarms.com/50_140_Sharps_Reloading_Brass_it-160083.aspx?CAT=3833

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55:09 AM »
I haven't talked to him about the 50-140 yet,

Hey Tim,  just an idea, but when you do talk to him maybe we could get a discount, especially on the chamber reamer cost, if he did both our barrels at the same time?   Even if it's just splitting the reamer fee $30 will buy a couple of pieces of brass.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »
you have a good plan

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 02:31:16 AM »
I too would be in to make it a 3 bore deal if he would be interested.
I have had the extra barrel for some time now and also got my Jamison brass from Graf.
All I need is the dies.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
I called and left a message, he usually calls back around lunchtime.  ;)

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 03:41:32 AM »
He just called back, he'll do al three barrels and split the cost of the reamer he has to rent, the reamer rental is more for doing more than one barrel tho, he thinks our cost will be $35 each, so the cost for each rebore/rechamber for three barrels will be $260$285. He does have 50-90 and 50-110 reamers in shop for anyone interested in those.

Tim

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 04:03:51 AM »
What kind of performance , and how much pressure would it run in a handi platform
 that would be a nice one to go with my 45-120
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »
There's a quantity discount?  You guys are tempting this broke student....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
What kind of performance , and how much pressure would it run in a handi platform
 that would be a nice one to go with my 45-120

The Accurate #1 manual lists a 550gr cast bullet at 2184fps from a 30" barrel, @ 27.8kpsi, 105gr 4350, I get similar numbers using modern AA4350 and H4350. A fella could bump that up to ~40kpsi and still be within the SB2 platform's capability, breech thrust would be ~9500lbs compared to a 50kpsi 500S&W load at ~11000lbs. Cast Performance makes a 525gr GCFN that works good in the 50AK according to one review at Midway, Beartooth makes a 590gr LFN and Montana makes some big honkers too, even gas checked!! QL predicts a case full of the right powder would push the 300gr Barnes FNSP jacketed to 3150fps @40kpsi!  :o

Recoil of the 550gr load in a 10lb rifle would be ~80lbs.  ;D

Tim

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/details.php?id=78

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/BB_50_caliber.html

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:47 AM »
Jesse just called back to let me know he does 5-groove on 50s, the 3-groove doesn't work well, so the rebore cost is $250 instead of $225, plus reamer cost.

Tim

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »

Not that I personally would want one, at least I don't think I would... BUT. Could a .50 S&W be turned into one of the .50 Sharps rounds by just using a chamber reamer?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:04 AM »
Wrong bore diameter the 500 Smith is 501,the 50 sharps is 512
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »

Not that I personally would want one, at least I don't think I would... BUT. Could a .50 S&W be turned into one of the .50 Sharps rounds by just using a chamber reamer?

That would be a 500 Martin, if you want a comparable big bore to a 50 Sharps in the 500S&W barrel, the 499HE(down the page) is the way to go.

Tim

http://www.singleactions.com/500Martin.pdf

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
At $285.00 for a rebore and a rechamber I am in!
Let me know when the rest want to do it so we can all get our barrels there about the same time frame.

Tim:
Anyway you can find out about the 50-90 dies working before I shell out for the 140 set?

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:25 AM »
Well, I was thinking that if he rents a reamer and the fee is determined by the number of barrels he reams, he ought to rent from 4D...  :o  But if that's okay with you two it should be okay with me...   :-\  I guess I just haven't been in the best of moods lately.   ;)

Now I still haven't shot the 2 - 280 barrels to see if one is better then the other, but what the heck.  I can't let that make me miss an opportunity for a detached retina!  Can't see much outta that dang eye anyway!  ;D

I'm ready when you are boys!   :D

See what happens when you are here Tyler!  Your youth and vigor rub off on us old dudes and we start thinkin like young bucks again!   ::)   'course Tim's always like that what with this Hubel and all...  :-\   But that boy ain't right noway when it comes to these Handi guns!   ;) ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
LT, the RCBS 50-90 FL die that Ed Hubel modified by cutting the top off for the 499HE seems to work fine to resize the body of an unfired case down to the head, it should work on the fired rounds too, if you only shoot BP it probably won't need full length resizing, but smokeless loads may require more sizing. You can neck size with a 500S&W FL die, then use the neck expander die to finish it up. You also need a #22 Lyman or #31 RCBS shell holder.

I'm ready to send my BC barrel in whenever you fellas want, just let me know and I'll let Jesse know to expect them.  ;)

Tim

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »
Any you fellows plug the Hodgdon smokeless 50-140 numbers into a recoil calculators for an 8 pound Handi Rifle? :o   Tyler, glad you are back and I think these distinguished gentlemen may need your assistance in breaking in their new toys when they get them back from JES. ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
Not an 8lb rifle, but I did a 10lb rifle, recoil in an 8lb rifle would be just shy of 100lbs!  :o

Recoil of the 550gr load in a 10lb rifle would be ~80lbs.  ;D

Tim

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
What would recoil be from a 350 gr at about 2500?

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
About 70lbs in an 8lb rifle.

Tim

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp