Author Topic: Lower power ctg in older frames  (Read 731 times)

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Lower power ctg in older frames
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
I'm still new at this Handi game and have a couple of questions.  Are the older H&R and NEF frames strong enough to safely handle BP ctgs. such as 25-20, 32-20, 32-40, 38-55 and smokeless ctgs. like the 218 Bee, 22 Hornet?  I plan to machine one piece monoblocks so barrels are not a problem.  Also, should I want to buy a new SB1 shotgun for the receiver what gauge is best so I can readily sell the barrel to someone wanting it for a stub?  Thanks, Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Re: Lower power ctg in older frames
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:26:18 AM »
   Piney,    You didnt mention what older frames you were thinking of using but for the cartridges you listed I dont see any problem.
  I built a 44 Special rifle on a older M 48 H & R 20 ga. I have shot all kinds of loads in it up to 44 mag pressures without any problems.
 While not H & R frames, I also built rifles in 30-30 and 7X 57 R on older Savage shotgun frames and have shot hundreds of rounds thru these without problems.
     Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:54:18 AM »
Piney, some here may differ but I have found that a 20 gauge barrel is most likely the most saleable and the best for stubbed barrel projects as well. That said, if you could get a 16 or 28 gauge and wanted to sell the barrel many would snap it up...all the best....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
also a .410 / .45 Colt barrel would be easy to get rid of...err um rather I'd pay you the shipping so I could have a tomato stake chambered like that  ;D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:29:10 AM »
I'm still new at this Handi game and have a couple of questions.  Are the older H&R and NEF frames strong enough to safely handle BP ctgs. such as 25-20, 32-20, 32-40, 38-55 and smokeless ctgs. like the 218 Bee, 22 Hornet?  I plan to machine one piece monoblocks so barrels are not a problem.  Also, should I want to buy a new SB1 shotgun for the receiver what gauge is best so I can readily sell the barrel to someone wanting it for a stub?  Thanks, Piney Creek

Hello Piney, WELCOME!!

YES the SB1 and PRE SB frames (cast) will be fine with these old BP cartridages. Something to look at is what older guns where chambered in and compairson of its pressures (and case head size) with the ones you have mentioned... You will see all, will be less than these orig chamberings. So its a safe bet that will be just fine. Many here have 38-55's & 32-20's a couple have 25-20, 32-40, 218 Bee, 219 Wasp ETC...

The 25/20 & 32/20 are favorites for some of the exact reasons it rose to such popularity when it was introduced...

As for stubbing, I agree the 20 ga is a good platform. A search using Larry Trotter or Trotterlg as the author under "advanced", should get you lots of info.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »
also a .410 / .45 Colt barrel would be easy to get rid of...err um rather I'd pay you the shipping so I could have a tomato stake chambered like that  ;D

sumthin smells kinda fishy bout that'un......i'll tellya what, you pay tha ship'n an he send it to me cents
you jus need mater-stakes, i'll sendya plenty custom built kind made from cypress.
cuz i can make them barrels shoot within 1.5" @ 50yrds and even better
like both my tractor guns can ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »

sumthin smells kinda fishy bout that'un......i'll tellya what, you pay tha ship'n an he send it to me cents
you jus need mater-stakes, i'll sendya plenty custom built kind made from cypress.
cuz i can make them barrels shoot within 1.5" @ 50yrds and even better
like both my tractor guns can ;)

shhh,  ;) ;D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
Aww Ohh I'll have to look into these .410 barrels a little deeper! ;)
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi