Author Topic: Who has killed a large black bear with a .50 cal muzzleloader?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
OK Guys,

On the 60 acres of mountain land that I hunt, I have two game cameras set up, and a large black bear is coming through early in the morning, several times a week.  (He looks as if he is about 250 to 350 pounds.)  Here in Virginia, we can shoot black bear during a muzzleloading season.

So, I need some advice.  I have a .50 caliber H&R Huntsman that I use for deer.  I cannot take the recoil of more than about 100 grains of pyrodex.  My shot would be between 75 yards and 125 yards, using a scope. 

I would like to hear from folks who have actually killed a black bear with their muzzleloaders, and find out what the best saboted slug to use.   (I use the lighter  230 grain Powerbelts on deer, but don't think that they would work well on a bear.)   

I think that penetration would be more important here than expansion.  Any real world advice would be appreaciated.  I would only take a good shot.  (Sure don't want to go back to the original T/C Maxiballs. Ouch!)

Best, Mannyrock

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Who has killed a large black bear with a .50 cal muzzleloader?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
If you like powerbelts and the rifle handles them well, I would up it to the 338gr Powerbelt Platinum or even a 370gr Maxiball.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
Uh Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone maybe?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »
your deer set up will work fine for a bear that size at that range . just try to break the shoulder and you'll be fine
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:22:48 AM »
A Hornady 300gr SST or XTP will do it at your charge level you want. Practice at the range you plan to shoot the bear at to make sure you hit well at that distance with this bullet combo and make sure you put it in the engine block.

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:36 AM »
Two blacks one 300lbs. +/- and one at 183lbs. Both stopped with the 240gr Hornady XTP.  The 300lb. Animal didn't have a recovered bullet. The 180lb animal was a slightly angled front brisket shot. The bullet was located at a measured 18" from entrance point in the heavy fat layer fully expanded and intact. 

Both shots were with 100grs. of triple 7, ranges were 15yrds on the 300lb animal and 60-65yrds on the other.

While my present ML doesn't like the 240gr xtp, it loves the 300gr. version.  And that projectile has done great out of the ML, 444 Marlin and the Super Blackhawk 44mag.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

D-R