Author Topic: Mountain howitzer Build - Need input on Carriage plans and Tube supplier  (Read 1433 times)

Offline jamesbibb

• Trade Count: (0)
 I am about to pull the trigger on a full scale mounatin howitzer build.   I have been researching alot and ny stepfather and myself have a ton of woodworking skills to construct a carriage from the ground up. I am looking for the best most stable plans for a carriage. This cannon is intended to be fired otherwise i have no need to build one. My second outreach is for what your thoughts are about hern tubes for live fire applications. I ve heard alot of good things and some not so good. It has to be safe no matter what!!! If not hern then whats a good route to go?

PS My first post and have been looking around. looks like my kinda place!
G Grandfather John Taliaferro Stevens.
Enlisted May 1st, 1862 with Co.B/E 51st VA Infantry.
Taken Prisoner at princeton WV May 16th 1862, found shot in the back May 17th 1862.
G Uncle John J.L. Stevens.
Enlisted Feb. 10th 1863 Co. B, 8th Va Calvary

Offline jamesbibb

I want to get started on the carriage build very soon and have the white oak stock dried and ready! the tube can wait,  I cannot!!! lol
Taken Prisoner at princeton WV May 16th 1862, found shot in the back May 17th 1862.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
The place to start for plans for this build is Antique Ordnance publishers  http://gunneyg.info/html/AOPCatalog.htm.

Offline Artilleryman

I also recommend Antique Ordnance Publishers.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline jamesbibb

Thats great thanks for the link i feel the second feild carriage is best. It seems to be the final design that worked best.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Hey jamesbibb Welcome to the board!!  Asking questions and doing research first identifys you as one of the smart ones(along with you insisting on safety above all else).

I look forward to seeing pics of this build.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cdn_army

Hi I am still learning about the whole cannon science, and I do not have anything bigger than a pop can size mortar. My understanding of hern tubes is that if you ask for a seamless tube and a properly shaped breach plug its a valid option. Also you will have to make a proper vent liner. What you need to avoid is having microscopic black power particles to go between the steel liner and the casting. With times the particles will attrac moisture, then corosion will form and since its most likely in an area where visual inspection may or may not be possible  at one point your tube may be more like a pipe bomb. So based on my understanding it seem that a proper steel liner can (or almost) withstand the presure by itself, so as long a you make a proper vent liner you should be good. Also Joel Brown at Hern seem to really stand behind his products and always answered all my questions. Safety is 49% about the tube and 51% the user, because Im sure not mater what tubes you get , there is at leas one moron that can somehow blow it apart.

Now like I said my experience is pretty limited so hopefully somebody with more experience than me will chime in

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Welcom to the forum!
While the Hern tube is full scale the bore is not.... So you will be puting a lot of effort into something that is not an accurate replica, also weight wise this will be much heaver than a true mountian howitzer..... if you are planning an accurate representation do you want a small bore? Iron instead of bronze tube? I will say Hern makes a good tube for the money and it is a way to cut your teeth getting into the hobby that being said if you are going to build a mountian howitzer wouldn't you want to do it with a proper bore.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Thats great thanks for the link i feel the second feild carriage is best. It seems to be the final design that worked best.

Welcome aboard, jamesbibb! I'm glad that you're going with the second model prairie carriage, because it seems to me like the majority of builders opt for the 1st model prairie or pack carriage. I agree with you that the 2nd model p-carriage combines the best features of the two carriages that preceded it, and makes for a sturdier more stable firing platform. Good luck with your build, and I hope that you'll share progress reports with us.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline jamesbibb

Welcom to the forum!
While the Hern tube is full scale the bore is not.... So you will be puting a lot of effort into something that is not an accurate replica, also weight wise this will be much heaver than a true mountian howitzer..... if you are planning an accurate representation do you want a small bore? Iron instead of bronze tube? I will say Hern makes a good tube for the money and it is a way to cut your teeth getting into the hobby that being said if you are going to build a mountian howitzer wouldn't you want to do it with a proper bore.

This is true, i want this build to be as close as possible but i havent seen anyone that offers a MH with a 4.6 bore, i have seen one with a 3.6 (6 pounder bore) but at a much higher expense. Also hern bore is 3" & their liners are 1/2 inch thick which i like. This is why im starting on the carriage until we make up our mind on the tube and bore sizes. The carriage is the hard part anyways. Im sure I could get what I truly wanted if i had no bottom to my pockets lol. and Im sure their will be PLENTY of unforseen expense in this project to come. Once we get our first project done then perhaps a 3" rifle of sorts to absolute true scale would be in order.

Offline jamesbibb

and thanks for all the replies fellas  8)

Offline jamesbibb

The place to start for plans for this build is Antique Ordnance publishers  http://gunneyg.info/html/AOPCatalog.htm.

Carriage plans on the way! Time to get the ball flying so to speak

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
If you go to the  Cannon link list in the stickies at the top of the board you will find a list of cannon suppliers.  The first four deal in full size guns.

You might want to acquire a tube early in in your build so you can be sure of your dimensions and fit.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks

You might want to acquire a tube early in in your build so you can be sure of your dimensions and fit.

Excellent advice.  I really don't know how you could do it any other way.  Sure you can build a carriage to specs but if you get a barrel that has a trunnion that is a little different size, it won't fit.  I know this from experience. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

Also you will have to make a proper vent liner. What you need to avoid is having microscopic black power particles to go between the steel liner and the casting. With times the particles will attrac moisture, then corosion will form and since its most likely in an area where visual inspection may or may not be possible  at one point your tube may be more like a pipe bomb.

Now like I said my experience is pretty limited so hopefully somebody with more experience than me will chime in

You have the first part right about the vent piece.  The problem is not that it will become a pipe bomb, but that the gap the opens up between the bore liner and the barrel can hold an ember that may set off the next powder charge during loading.  This could occur if the cartridge breaks open and powder gets pushed up into the vent. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline cdn_army

oh i see! thank you for the explanation! either way it could ruin your day ;)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
      Jamesbibb,    Don't forget to check out Trail Rock Ordnance.  They are 10 up from the bottom of the list. They have a wide variety of cannon tubes and prices.  They have the cheapie, cast iron over liner type and a turned from solid steel type and even a bronze coated steel type that is turned and polished.  Mike and I saw their wares at the 2006 Artillery show in Mansfield, Ohio, and despite owning 4 South Bend Replica cannon and loving all of them, we agreed that the Trail Rock cannons were quality made.

Here is a section of their catalog which has 12 Pdr. Mountain Howitzers:

12 Pdr Mountain Howitzer, Full Bored & Chambered
 12 Pdr Mountain Howitzer, 3" or 3.625" Straight Bore

Price: $3,000.00
 Price: $2,800.00

King Howitzer, 3" Bore, Chambered

Price: $1,000.00

Barrels Fabricated From Solid Steel & Bronze Coated This finish looks just like a bronze gun at a fraction of the price. The finish will last for many years with basic maintenance.
The tubes are turned smooth & polished, then clear coated.

6 Pdr Gun, Model 1841
 6 Pdr Gun, Model 1838

Price: $8,000.00

12 Pdr Field Howitzer, Model 1841
 12 Pdr Field Howitzer, Model 1838

12 Pdr Napoleon

Price: $10,000.00

12 Pdr Mountain Howitzer

Price: $4,500.00

Check them out:   http://trailrockordnance.com/cannon_barrels.htm

Although we have no business connection with Trail Rock Ordnance, we like their stuff.  Because they are made of steel, they have full size bores too at 4.62" dia.  Almost everyone else has only 3.00" or 3.62" bore dia. tubes.

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline jamesbibb

Also you will have to make a proper vent liner. What you need to avoid is having microscopic black power particles to go between the steel liner and the casting. With times the particles will attrac moisture, then corosion will form and since its most likely in an area where visual inspection may or may not be possible  at one point your tube may be more like a pipe bomb.

You have the first part right about the vent piece.  The problem is not that it will become a pipe bomb, but that the gap the opens up between the bore liner and the barrel can hold an ember that may set off the next powder charge during loading.  This could occur if the cartridge breaks open and powder gets pushed up into the vent.

OK  so this would only be an issue on a tube with a liner, and not a solid steel barrel or bronze obviously.

Offline KABAR2

One of our members Ramparoom Artillery is working on building a 12lb mountian howitzer, it requires a big lathe and a big piece of steel...... plans are to bronze coat it.... it will be Nssa inspected and approved....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium