Author Topic: More concrete cannons  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
More concrete cannons
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:05 AM »
I know these all look the same but here are the last two concrete guns I just finished.  I think they are so cool! 8)
They really have become pretty popular.  I'm selling them almost as fast as I can make them.  They can be seen on my website at www.jmelledge.com
Barrels 66" long and 270 lbs.  Carriage 42" long and 150 lbs.  Full scale 1841 six pounders.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: More concrete cannons
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:53:13 AM »
Very nice , you obviously put a lot of skill and effort into them for them to turn out like that . What is the expected outside life exposed to the weather?   ;D

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »
Very nice , you obviously put a lot of skill and effort into them for them to turn out like that . What is the expected outside life exposed to the weather?   ;D

Moose,
The barrel will be around a very, very long time.  It's concrete.
The carriage is made of 4" thick fir which is rot resistant.  It is stained with a long life product made by Sikkens.  As long as it got a fresh coat of stain every two years, and wasn't sitting in the mud, I don't see why it could not last decades.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:14 AM »
Ooohhhh, so you're well on your way to becoming a billionaire selling those fine and fancy naval guns. I've been wondering why you haven't been posting much lately, and it turns out that it's because you've been too busy pouring, cutting, and counting the coin. Well, I know that you know that our national leader has three quarters of your newly acquired fortune already earmarked to aid those less talented and industrious than yourself, so grin and bear it. :P  ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »
Well it looks like the power line guy got a job finally... working for himself!!!  Best employer you can have.  I noticed from your postings there seemed to collecting a WHOLE LOT MORE cannons around the front entrance to your home... Is there still room for a car to pull through and people to get out and get into the house or do they all go around the back now?  ;) .

Congratulations on getting your art to also be your livelihood.  I envy that in any person.

If you wanted to put a little extra into the barrel... you might consider smoothing off the mold parting line with a masonry disk on a 4 1/2" electric grinder before the black paint job.  From my own experience Sikkens  has about the best reputation in the industry for understanding how to get wood to hold up with the high level of UV light from sitting outdoors all the time.  Very attractive product... I can see why you are selling them about as fast as you can make them.  Congrats again!

GOW/George

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »
 ;) You can't fool me, Zulu...those are the real McCoy, but you talk a good story...Concrete, who would have ever thought....Both your wood and your concrete cannons are pretty nearly works of art...great Job! ;D
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Squire

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »
Very very nice!!!  They are museum quality.  :)
Ahhhh..... Cannons.  They do bring a smile!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »

Congratulations on getting your art to also be your livelihood.  I envy that in any person.

Me too. It aint easy!
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »
They look like they could be used for a pirate ship at Disney land or on the set of pirates of the Caribbean. I know that a film crew came to Pittsburgh and they rented stuff from a army surplus to film a movie in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't be surprised if your cannons are in a movie.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »
Cannoneer,
Yes, the billions of dollars flowing in is getting a little monotonous.  Maybe I'll take a break. ::)

GOW,
I used a angle grinder with a sanding disc on those seams.  They look better than they used to.  The more I work on them the worse they look.

dockholidaiy,
I have sold some to a pirate museum in Galveston.  That thread can be seen here.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,246001.msg1099421313.html#msg1099421313

Thanks everyone for the compliments.  These things are really fun to make.  I know they don't shoot but a lot of folks want something for their yard but can't get anything affordable that looks good.  This at least gives them an option and doesn't look like a pipe on tractor wheels.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:40:05 AM »
Another nice set of concrete cannons....... in keeping with the theme
who is going to build a concrete pirate ship?  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »
GOW,
I used a angle grinder with a sanding disc on those seams.  They look better than they used to.  The more I work on them the worse they look.

Zulu,

I know what that is like too.  Gotta know when to quit... That seam disappears just a tad further away anyhow.

I think you have proved a great lessson in anything a person does... keep at it and keep trying to improve on it and one day you break through into the light on the other side.  I think they are fantastic!!!  'grats again.

By the way... does this mean you may go up to Moscow, Idaho in your furture and take Twigg's course on wheelrighting?

GOW

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »

dockholidaiy,
I have sold some to a pirate museum in Galveston.  That thread can be seen here.

Is there a way to see them on the Pirate Ship? Do they have a website?

I found there website. Zulu are you going to get your website on there links page?
http://www.piratesgulfcoast.com/links.html

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
Zulu,

Now you have the barrels worked out, any plans to offer the same barrel on a full scale #1 field carriage?  Non-shooting decorator of course...  Maybe the extra effort for the carriage wouldn't allow it to be affordable to customers and profitable to you but I believe there would be a market there.  Maybe a kit that allows the customer to buy their own wheels (from someone like custom wagons) ??

GOW

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
Kabar,
I'll leave the concrete pirate ship to others.  But I would be glad to arm it. ;D

GOW,
I have no plans to attend wheel making school.  Nor do I plan to offer the six pounder on a field carriage.  A #1 field carriage simply takes too much time.  I think someone could buy a field carriage from Trail Rock Ordnance for much less than I could make one for.

dockholidaiy,
I am trying to get them to link my website.  I linked them to mine and the deal was that they would link me.  They appear to be in no hurry. :-\

I actually sold another one of these to someone who set up a pirate photo booth on the new Pleasure Pier in Galveston.  He charges $175 to take a picture of you dressed like a pirate, standing by my gun with a ramrod. :o :o
It sounds like his business plan is more profitable than mine. :P
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 04:14:03 AM »
Condrats ZULU, your cannons are a work of art and decorator cannons have a huge market potential. It is my opinion the reason this market has been neglected is not demand but those that make cannon for resale are more into the BOOOOOOM! There are literally thousands of decorator concrete art items sold all over this country. When on the road one of these places comes up, the wife can't resist and we stop to look at all the cool stuff. I can't recall ever seeing a concrete cannon, and thats the kind of thing I look for. If I did I doubt I could resist ;D ;D , cause I sure won't be setting any of my cannon in the yard ! ! ! ! I wish you well and hope your hard work pays off for you......................................................
Dewayne

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 05:12:25 AM »
Zulu,You know if you look closely at the photo's of Ft Ticonderoga's cannons they have all been sitting on comcrete fortress carriages since probably the 1950's ........ you might consider a concrete carriage for exterior display painted most people wouldn't know it unless close up.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
Even a smaller scale (1/2 scale maybe?) All concrete would be cool.................... Itud' be a lot more difficult to "haul" off should someone decide they like it more than you do!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
Zulu,You know if you look closely at the photo's of Ft Ticonderoga's cannons they have all been sitting on comcrete fortress carriages since probably the 1950's ........ you might consider a concrete carriage for exterior display painted most people wouldn't know it unless close up.....

Kabar,
Are you talking about a concrete naval carriage?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
Those are amazing Zulu!  Looks like they're ready to deliver a broadside.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
Even a smaller scale (1/2 scale maybe?) All concrete would be cool.................... Itud' be a lot more difficult to "haul" off should someone decide they like it more than you do!

No, that would be really cool.  8)

I'm geting ready to remove two ugly trees on either side of my front porch. Been thinking of replacing them with two big concrete pots containing dwarf Japanese Maple trees. A couple of 1/2 scale solid concrete naval cannons with some kind of vine growing over them would be awesome.

Personally, I'd never buy an expensive wooden item to leave out in the weather. It's hard enough for me to get motivated enough to paint the trim on my house every decade or so.  :)

Hey Zulu, howsabout some solid marble ones?  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
You know they do make things from marble dust mixed with epoxy and I think they are moulded.  Inexpensive sculpture-type things in rubber moulds.  But you wouldn't need a rubber mould for a cannon barrel or the parts of a garrison or naval carriage since there are no undercuts to deal with.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »
 No doubt.

Several years ago the president of the company I worked for at the time was having large Indian-made statues (elephants, lions, multi-armed godesses, etc.) for his yard delivered to work. He was very proud of them and opened the crates for us to see a couple of times. On one delivery I asked him if a particular statue was cast, as I could see evidence of parting lines. "No no... These are all carved from solid marble."

Some were carved, some were cast. He was somewhat of a braggart, so I don't know if he actually knew about the cast ones or not.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:59 AM »
I have been thinking about the concrete naval carriage idea.  I think it is entirely doable.
I would have to work out how to make a reusable mold and could use PVC pipes for the holes.
It would take 10 castings for the build not counting hardware.  It sure would be heavy! :P :P
I'm still pretty mean but just not as mean as I used to be, if you know what I'm talking about. :-\ :-\ :-\
It's hard enough moving a 270 lb. barrel around by myself as it is.
I will ponder this idea further.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 02:59:08 AM »
I have been thinking about the concrete naval carriage idea.  I think it is entirely doable.
I would have to work out how to make a reusable mold and could use PVC pipes for the holes.
It would take 10 castings for the build not counting hardware.  It sure would be heavy! :P :P
I'm still pretty mean but just not as mean as I used to be, if you know what I'm talking about. :-\ :-\ :-\
Zulu

As you mention "PVC pipe" and "still pretty mean" in the same "breath" it got the wheels of my devious mind whirling ;D . Hows this for an Idea, cast a pvc pipe as the bore liner in the barrel and BOOOOOM .............SPUD GUN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ;D 8) ;) 

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 03:36:59 AM »
The cannons above have a cast in place 3" PVC liner.  I really don't want anyone, any where, thinking it is okay to fire anything out of one of these.  If you want to shoot, buy a real gun.  These are just to scare your neighbors. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 06:33:32 AM »
Concrete carriages! Hey, this man is a craftsman with wood, not a dang construction worker.

P.S. I was originally going to use artist in place of craftsman, but as usual, I was worried about head expansion. :P
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
This reminds me of a well funded research project at Boeing we did... some vendors prompted our saying, "yeh send me one of everything and two of all the good stuff!" 

I should PM you with this question but others may be thinking like me just now...

On your site I would like to see you quote the barrels seperately and then offer a package of the naval "bad boy" with a "spare" barrel for some future date field carriage by the customer.  I do wish you lived next door to both share my tools and to allow me to regularly pick your brain for ideas for deco (as opposed to fully functional) hardware.  You definately have a rare and unique talent for the deco... keep all that "good stuff" coming!!!

GOW/George

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »
This reminds me of a well funded research project at Boeing we did... some vendors prompted our saying, "yeh send me one of everything and two of all the good stuff!" 

I should PM you with this question but others may be thinking like me just now...

On your site I would like to see you quote the barrels seperately and then offer a package of the naval "bad boy" with a "spare" barrel for some future date field carriage by the customer.  I do wish you lived next door to both share my tools and to allow me to regularly pick your brain for ideas for deco (as opposed to fully functional) hardware.  You definately have a rare and unique talent for the deco... keep all that "good stuff" coming!!!

GOW/George

GOW,
The barrels are quoted seperately.  I have sold several that way to folks that want to try their hand at a carriage.
You can see it here;
http://www.jmelledge.com/CementCannon1841SixPounder.html

Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »
Zulu

Since the cannons are for display only maybe you could offer concrete display bases. Something like these.

Or maybe just offer a wooden mold so people could cast their own base.