Author Topic: More concrete cannons  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: More concrete cannons
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 01:11:01 AM »
It would take 10 castings for the build not counting hardware.  It sure would be heavy! :P :P

You might could simplify it some for those not too picky; like just make the bbl, cheeks and "floor" (I don't know what the bottom piece of a naval carriage is called). You could cast in the PVC pipe for the axle holes, then slip 1" steel bar stock through for the axles and use off-the-shelf cast iron wheels(?)

As far as weight goes, someone like me might not need much, especially considering shipping cost. Add some perlite to the mix.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »
It would take 10 castings for the build not counting hardware.  It sure would be heavy! :P :P

You might could simplify it some for those not too picky; like just make the bbl, cheeks and "floor" (I don't know what the bottom piece of a naval carriage is called). You could cast in the PVC pipe for the axle holes, then slip 1" steel bar stock through for the axles and use off-the-shelf cast iron wheels(?)

As far as weight goes, someone like me might not need much, especially considering shipping cost. Add some perlite to the mix.  :)

The picky one is me. ;)   If the're not extremely realistic, it's not my work.  I have seen many yard cannons that don't merit a second glance.  People actually stop their cars in front of my house to look at the one on my front porch.  It stands up to close inspection also.  To keep it affordable, I have to take certain shortcuts.  I try to minimize the visual impact by paying attention to little details.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »
Zulu:

I try to minimize the visual impact by paying attention to little details.

I try to MAXIMIZE the visual effect by paying attention to the little details..??

Whether you meant it the way I have stated it or not... it IS what's really going on...

GOW/George

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
Zulu:

I try to minimize the visual impact by paying attention to little details.

I try to MAXIMIZE the visual effect by paying attention to the little details..??

Whether you meant it the way I have stated it or not... it IS what's really going on...

GOW/George

GOW,
I meant that I  try to minimize the visual impact of my "shortcuts" by paying attention to little details.
I think it works.  Illusion is everything in this case.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
Illusion is everything in this case.
Zulu
Who are you, Houdini? :D

I have seen many yard cannons that don't merit a second glance.  Zulu
I saw one on eBay yesterday that had a PVC tube mounted on some wood that was meant to resemble a field carriage, and it made me chuckle.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
Hmmmm.

Someday someone will come up with a concrete that will be able to be used for cannon barrels - for REAL!

:o ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
ZULU:

Okay... Now I understan... you are maximizing the overall visual impact by minimizing the impact of any shortcuts...  It's still a fantastic looking product.  I'd bet from over 10-15 feet away a person would never know if they were looking at the "real deal" of a fully funtioning cannon.

GOW/George