Author Topic: Where are your guns?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Where are your guns?
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »
I have a Ruger SR9c in the dresser near my bed, a .44 Bulldog in the truck, a NAA .22M in my pocket, and two Blackhawks in my den.  When I go out, the SR9c goes with me.  Do you have a particular location for your loaded guns to reside?  My situation might be different from yours, as I no longer have kids in the house and no one has access to my truck. 
My wife keeps her Colt Cobra in her panties dresser drawer.  Even though she has a C/C permit, she never carries. 

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Where are your guns?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
Front pocket where legal . A 340PD in 357 mag. loaded with 125 gr 357 mag ammo. Unless working where snakes are then snake shot for a couple chambers.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »
I have a Ruger SR9c in the dresser near my bed, a .44 Bulldog in the truck, a NAA .22M in my pocket, and two Blackhawks in my den.  When I go out, the SR9c goes with me.  Do you have a particular location for your loaded guns to reside?  My situation might be different from yours, as I no longer have kids in the house and no one has access to my truck. 
My wife keeps her Colt Cobra in her panties dresser drawer.  Even though she has a C/C permit, she never carries. 

I can tell you where mine are NOT..... They are not in one of the first locations a burglar will look in the event we are robbed when I am not home (sock/undies drawer, nightstand, closet shelf).  Except for one pistol, to which I have not real affection, nothing of value is under my mattress either.

By the way.... an ugly throw pillow tossed in a corner by itself sure might seem functional if it had a velcro strip stitched along one side.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
They are close...pistols in every room where I sit or spend time... a couple shotguns and pistols near the bed..my ar on the way to the door...if you guns are hidden, where you can't get to them in an instant, they will probably do you little good..

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
Well as the neighbor found out one day, in the potholder drawer. :o The wife had put hers there and our neighbor was over helping her prepare for a party. She figured she spent more alone time in the kitchen than anywhere else.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Where are your guns?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
.38 in a slap box bolted to the underside of the night stand, .40 S&W in a box over the inside of the closet door. Long guns in the the safe, except a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (also .40 S&W) in what looks like a hydration pack in the laundry room. Magazines are on top shelf above the detergent.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »
.38 in a slap box bolted to the underside of the night stand, .40 S&W in a box over the inside of the closet door. Long guns in the the safe, except a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (also .40 S&W) in what looks like a hydration pack in the laundry room. Magazines are on top shelf above the detergent.

Thanks Kevin Smith of North Carolina...age 41....with 46 items sold on E-bay and a rating of 100%....(I'm sure I could get MUCH more info seeing as how this only took about 2 minutes to get off the internet)

Do you see where this thread could lead??   ;)

The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
My 9mm is always on my hip except places it's illegal to carry. When I go to bed it's on my nightstand and a pump .20ga is within reach. Others are in the gun cabinet but I have a Boxer that thinks strangers are chew toys. ;) My home also has video surveilance 24/7. Want my guns then come and get them. I'm a Vietnam Vet and in the words of John Lee Peddimore, " I learned a thing or two from Charley don't you know! "

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »
hardeter:  You make a valid point.  I thought about that before I started the thread.  However, I don't see a probability that our homes will be found based on the lack of personal information provided.  I respect your experience with Internet trading, but if the bad guys can find our homes from information provided here, they already know we have firearms. Still, I see your point and appreciate your input. 
On another topic, I have lived where I do now for 22 years.  Only once did I have an unwanted guest.  He'd been released that Sunday morning from the town jail and walked as far as my house.  I answered the door with a gun in my hand.  He said their were wolves in the highway and he couldn't walk there, so could he please come inside until they left.  I said, "Sure, just one minute," and shut and locked the door.  Called the sheriff's office.  They arrived within seconds and explained to me that he was insane but they had no reason to hold him.  They came back later and said they had taken him to the county line and let him out.  No trouble of any kind here sine then, but we never know.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Where are your guns?
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »

Thanks Kevin Smith of North Carolina...age 41....with 46 items sold on E-bay and a rating of 100%....(I'm sure I could get MUCH more info seeing as how this only took about 2 minutes to get off the internet)

Do you see where this thread could lead??   ;)
Feel free to keep trying, but since I've never sold anything on EBay in my life I think your fears are unfounded. I'm also NOT a movie director, actor, former NBA or NFL player. Kevin Smith is a mighty common name....
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:19 AM »
Guns , what guns ? Those things are bad and you normal types of people should never be allowed to have them !  ;D  Only the Cops and the Army should have axcess to such bad things , guns kill people , RIGHT !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   

stimpy

For what its worth , I'm never more than 3 steps away from a way to defend my family or myself , stop by sometime and you'll see first hand .  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:06:50 AM »
+1 on what stimpylu32 said.    ::)
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 05:14:37 AM »
I sold, or gave all mine away.  ;D  But I stay real close to one all the time. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 05:30:50 AM »
Seriously , just about anyone that knows me , knows that I own guns and am an avid shooter , do they know were I keep all these guns ? I doubt it , hell even my wife doesn't know were all of them are .

Do I make it a public point to show everyone ? NOPE . Some may be at my home , some may be in Bank safe deposit boxes , and some may even be buried in the woods , I can't really remember .  ;D

But like I said , I'm never more than 3 steps away .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »
I have concerns about having firearms scattered throughout my house. I find it easier to keep one on my person or within reach. The last thing I want to do is arm an intruder. Those who choose to have multiple long guns and handguns available are kidding themselves if they think they are hidden well enough to prevent their discovery by a thief or intruder. Any firearm not under my direct and immediate control will be in a safe. My plan may not be for every one, but it works for me.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
It's sort of matter of convenience for me.  If I find I suddenly need to run to the store, I don't have to worry about finding a gun; there's already one in the truck.  And at home, I can reach one from any room very quickly.
On the flip side, is the man who has only one, and he doesn't want to worry about loaded guns all over the place, and he's disciplined enough to keep his one loaded gun foremost in his mind and know that he can get at it immediately if not sooner.   

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
Yeah Mike, I like convenience. If I need to run to the store, I likely already have a gun on. Hard to get more convenient than that! I don't leave firearms in my vehicles either. Even when I parked my patrol car at home, I brought my gear in at night. Couldn't bring myself to leave my patrol rifle, shotgun, ammo and body armor unattended. Just the way I am, too old to change now!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Yeah Mike, I like convenience. If I need to run to the store, I likely already have a gun on. Hard to get more convenient than that! I don't leave firearms in my vehicles either. Even when I parked my patrol car at home, I brought my gear in at night. Couldn't bring myself to leave my patrol rifle, shotgun, ammo and body armor unattended. Just the way I am, too old to change now!
Savage

Smart man! ;)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »
firearms scattered about the house is my preferred mode, all are hidden well enough, but as my reputation I am to be considered armed at all times ;)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline jhm

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:41 AM »
     No comment and No you cant have my SS # either,  just something to think about during the next day you are away from the house.  Jim

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
Any firearm not in my direct control, on my person or within arms reach such as on a table next to my chair or bed while I'm occupying it, is safely locked away in a gun safe.  I would hate to be shot with one of my own guns or worse have my wife or daughter get shot with one of my own guns.

Years ago before my daughter was born and before my wife and I had CCWs I kept a .38 snub nose hung on a cup hook above  the inside of our bedroom closet door jamb.  It was not a walk in closet so an intruder would have to stick their head in the closet and turn upside down in order to spot it.  Bu I knew just where it was and could access it in a hurry if I needed to.

An acquaintance of mine came home to find a burglary in progress one night and got shot in the head with his own .357 mag.  He survived but had some lasting problems. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jimster

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
When I'm not home everything is locked up except what's with me, when I'm home I can do whatever I want (no kids) and have them in multiple places, if anyone gets close to the house there is lots of loud barking,  I'd have to be dead not to be alerted with all that noise. A dog can alert you ahead of time, you need time to have the advantage. 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »
I sold, or gave all mine away.  ;D  But I stay real close to one all the time. ;D

Yep
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »
hardeter:  You make a valid point.  I thought about that before I started the thread.  However, I don't see a probability that our homes will be found based on the lack of personal information provided.  I respect your experience with Internet trading, but if the bad guys can find our homes from information provided here, they already know we have firearms. Still, I see your point and appreciate your input. 
On another topic, I have lived where I do now for 22 years.  Only once did I have an unwanted guest.  He'd been released that Sunday morning from the town jail and walked as far as my house.  I answered the door with a gun in my hand.  He said their were wolves in the highway and he couldn't walk there, so could he please come inside until they left.  I said, "Sure, just one minute," and shut and locked the door.  Called the sheriff's office.  They arrived within seconds and explained to me that he was insane but they had no reason to hold him.  They came back later and said they had taken him to the county line and let him out.  No trouble of any kind here sine then, but we never know.

Mike not to take over your thread but look at what was done . A mental health problem was over looked . The mass shootings that take place are almost always by mental health cases that are over looked or pushed along to some other jursidiction for them to deal with. When I read your post it just jumped out at me .

BTW my canoe over turned and I lost all my firearms  ;) ;)

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
Ain't that the truth?  It's the crazies every time.  And we don't know when or where the next one will show.  Rush Limbaugh says they do it for fame and that's why they hit the tightly packed public places, to make as big a splash as possible.  I don't go to tightly packed places anymore--no interest in what the younger folks are into these days, and very little reason to go anywhere at all except to the woods or trout streams. 
I think I taught my ownself something by opening this thread.  Not the smartest thing I ever did.  So, like Shootall, I lost all my guns in a boating accident just this morning. 

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »
I have slightly over 20 guns, 19 of which are locked in a safe. I keep my Rem 870 with oo buck and a 18" barrel right near my bed.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »
And now its comming out the shooter in CO. sent a detailed book on what he was going to do but no one read it .

Sorry you lost your guns , know how it feels . Wife won't let me get anymore .  ;)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 04:15:52 AM »
Sorry to hear you guys lost alla your guns.....sold ALL of mine years ago.

BTW...this morning I heard that the Colo shooter booby trapped his apt and left the radio on real loud so as to disturb the neighbors.  They would then call the cops or the building super who would open the door and detonate the trap.  At that point, all of the first responders and LEOs would be at his place and unable to respond quickly to his real target, the theatre.  Jeez.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
Glock on hip AK 47 leaning against the door

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »
Their everywhere--their everywhere!
Blessings