Author Topic: Is the Movie Theater resposible for the safety of movie goers??  (Read 3351 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Is the Movie Theater resposible for the safety of movie goers??
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
Shortly after the new concealed carry law was passed in Minnesota many businesses put up signs prohibiting carry. A gas station I frequented was one of them. I had a talk with the owner and informed him that I would no longer use his station and was a d to 10 thousand dollar a year customer. The sign was promptly removed. Many other businesses have followed suit. 
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2012, 03:36:52 AM »
On April 22 of this year a convicted felon, just out of jail, went to an Aurora, Colorado, church and shot and killed a member of the congregation before being killed himself by a congregant carrying a gun.

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/12175-two-aurora-shootings-one-widely-known-the-other-ignored/12175-two-aurora-shootings-one-widely-known-the-other-ignored?limitstart=0
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:47 AM »
And the press could care less....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
I would think the movie house will be in hot water because the shooter got in with guns . The fact that the door was open to allow people in that did not pass thru. normal routs may be cause of a neglent law suit .
I also agree with Dee . Why should we go to places that restrict one of the most important rights we have ? I heard that out of the last 10 mass murders 9 were in areas where guns were not allowed . It would seem if those of us who support the 2nd amn would not go to these places the non supporters would have what they want a massacer instead of a shoot out. ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »

The movie theater created a policy forcing patrons to make a choice....a) don't disarm and don't enter, or b) disarm an enter the establishment.....so they created a situation where one's personal security is in the hands of management by policy. Because they created this policy and this situation they are responsible for assuring that it is reasonably enforced uniformly. Hosting a midnight movie showing of a rather violent movie and allowing costumed patrons to enter the premises while not reasonably enforcing their own policy makes them culpable, at least tacitly.  It is a known fact that they allowed a patron onto and into the premises who was heavily armed.

The above is wrong on so many levels it's hard to even believe that someone could make the statements involved.

"created a policy forcing patrons to make a choice"

LOL!!! Uh, we HAVE to make choices every day based on others "policies" that's kinda what freedom is all about. "no shoes, no shirt, no service:, no one under 18 allowed: No one on this ride under this tall...... You are free to make that choice.......no one forced you to make that choice....it's called freedom and you are free to choose to take your patronage elsewhere too.

"It is a known fact that they allowed a patron onto and into the premisses that was heavily armed" THAT one is laugh riot! An amazing stretch, using semantics. I'm sure they knew the perp had guns and said "sure, go ahead and come in, shoot up the place, kill a few other patrons, we permit that!" Uh huh! ::)

Showing a midnight movie showing a rather violent movie and allowing costumed patrons to enter while not REASONABLY enforcing their own policy......define reasonably in the preshooting context. Come on, you can do it. Keeping in mind that this had never happened before. ::) And this also implies that a violent movie is the causative factor...a surprizingly ultra far right statement from YOU :o

I can go on , but what's the point? Either you believe in freedom or you don't. Middle ground doesn't come into play on that one..... and word games don't change a damned thing.

Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
Think about the following post really hard and define what was "reasonable" effort to provide safety at the moment the shooting began........again, no hindsight allowed, that would be cheating.

I'm afraid that ingenuity has shown its dark side today. The murderer in Colorado that killed, to this hour, 12 people and wounded many others, seems to have discovered a method of mass murder that has not to my knowledge been used before, and has done so with obvious horrid effectiveness.

Beginning a shooting spree in a crowded movie theater during a violent movie, where the audience may reasonably expect the sound of gunshots, is a chilling innovation. The wearing of a gas mask in a situation where costumery is reasonably expected also seems to be part of the plan.

It is my understanding that some of the people in the adjacent theater thought the gun shot sounds were part of the show.

God help the wounded. May the families of the deceased find comfort in due time.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
People in the movie, there because they wanted to be. Killer in the movie, there because he wanted to be. Someone else cleans up the mess.
Dont be where the killer wants to be, (not easy) If you are stay alert and be prepared to protect you and yours. The biggest thing to remember, no one and I mean no one, will. Cops are not in the picture until shots are fired, (to late to help).   The times, they have been a changing.

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
  In answer to the original question, the answer is yes.  The Theater is responsible for the safety of the movie goers.

This is not to say that they have strict liability, and are liable if anything whatsoever happens to the patrons.  But, when a business owner invites the public onto its premises, for the purpose of benefiting the business owner, the law imposes one of the highest duties of care upon the owner for the safety of the public.  (The patrons are, under law, "invitees.")    Though the standards vary somewhat from state to state, the owner owes a duty to anticipate all reasonably foreseeable accidents and injuries on the premises, whether from physical conditions or other patrons, and to take affirmative steps to prevent those accidents and injuries.

If a mass shooting is reasonably foreseeable in a movies theater in todays society, then the theater must provide safety mechanisms to prevent it.

One of the first modern cases in this area involved the teen singer in the early 1960s (Connie Frances.)  She checked into a Holiday Inn, and then was raped went she went out into the walkway to get ice.  She sued the hotel, claiming that since they had invited her to stay there, then they had a duty to provide reasonable security.  The hotel claimed no, that they simply provided a limited service of a room for the night, with no assurance of safety.  The Court ruled in favor of Connie big time, stating that she was a business invitee on the premises, and that as such, the hotel had a duty to provide reasonable security.  Since the hotel had provided absolutely none, they were hit with a big judgment and had to pay out the nose to Connie.

Of course Connie was never the same again after that assault.  Though she had enjoyed a big string of teen hits prior to that night, I don't think she ever had a successful song again.

Mannyrock

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

First lawsuit filed today... I am suprised it took so long. I guess we will see the waters tested. Anybody giving odds.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/24/james-holmes-lawsuit-shooting/

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I think he may get somewhere with the first two parts. Suing the movie company for making a movie you were so excited to see you went to a midnight premiere? Bogus. Expect that to be dismissed.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »
Notice he sued everyone but the perp.

Offline kevinsmith5

Re: Re: Is the Movie Theater resposible for the safety of movie goers??
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
Notice he sued everyone but the perp.
He didn't sue the school he dropped out of or the firearms/ammo manufacturers. At least there is that.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
the theater   is off the hook
they had no choice

the city should be held responsible

http://lewrockwell.com/adams-m/adams-m22.1.html
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
The reason they're named is the unalarmed emergency exit, not CCW ban.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »
Love the last statement in the article. "somebody has to be responsible for the violence that is shown today".  So Holmes attorney can claim the doctor is responsible for giving him medication. The people in the theater can all blame the theater for not protecting them. Then everyone can blame the people for making the movie. Maybe even some blame can be shifted toward the actors in the movie. Maybe we can blame the gun manufactures for making the guns that he used. Maybe we can blame the makers of the ammo, or the people that sold him the guns, etc....etc...
 Everyone gets blame except the shooter. Isn't that how it always is any more. Its never ones fault for doing something. Its always something or someone else's fault.
Its just easier to blame someone for everything. That way we don't have to have any personal responsibility.       
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2012, 12:53:27 AM »
It's a shotgun lawsuit
In reality they are just fishing to see if they can snag some funds
But to the real problem, most doors are alarmed , if nothing else it lets the people incharge know the door is being used . It is an EMG. door so management should be looking to see why it is open and take charge.
Medication comes after a Dr has checked and noted a need for it. Maybe the shooter should have had more over site ? maybe there needs to be better rules reguarding Dr's giving out certian medications ?
The movies ? maybe ratings need to be changed ? Consider we aren't allowed to spank our children when it is needed but others can show films that in reality are a do it yourself course on how to destory people . Maybe a little more maturity would go a long way . Then to the first Batman shows were for kids where the new one are not . Why the switch up ? Maybe Hollywood will see the error and not repete it ( yea I know the shootings gave the movie notarity and Hollywood will reap big bucks , similar shows are are most likely on the drawing boards now).

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:10 AM »
The first mass murder I ever heard of was the Texas tower.  Other than that, I don't remember any until the 80's.  I think Hollywood is somewhat responsible.  They keep putting out stupid movies that glorify death and destruction.  It is one thing to have an action movie where all the good guys win, but gore just for gore's sake.  Vampire movies and zombie movies to me are just plain stupid, as well as stupid horror movies.  However, I don't go to or watch these types of movies.  I don't think most of us do.  Some people live in fantasy worlds, and sometimes try to carry it out in real life.  Like Trekkies, but they are harmless.  I like Star Trek movies, but I am not a Trekkie.  The good guys always win.  Even some of us get into cowboy action shooting and dress like the old west.  Again this is harmless.  Also, in most westerns, the good guys always win.  People sometimes just want to escape reality and dream of being an explorer or trapper in the early 1800's, or do reinactments of old battles.  If the people in hollywood would just realise that some people can snap, they would make more family oriented movies like they did from the begining until about the mid-60's.  Even old horror movies like Frankinstein and Dracula were mild in comparison to the gore of today.  Maybe there wouldn't be so many people snap in today's world. 

I say the following as advise.  Avoid crowds, avoid big cities.  Less likely to even be involved in a mass murder attempt from either a lone crazy or a suicide bomber, or terroist act.  Not only that, but you could also avoid a mass pandemic of some sort of virus. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »
It would seem if the place has a no gun policy then those entering should expect it to be enforced

Offline powderman

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »
Everyone gets blame except the shooter. Isn't that how it always is any more. Its never ones fault for doing something. Its always something or someone else's fault.

BINGO, thats the liberal way. BTW. I remember well the Texas tower murders, first I remembered too. The punk was only taken after civilian students there got their personal weapons and returned fire and pinned him down so the police could get to the tower. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
The shooter(S) don't have as deep of pockets as the others sued . Its not about blame its about hitting the legal jackpot !

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2012, 03:41:19 AM »

The theater will have an insurance policy that provides coverage for these types of intentional injuries to patrons.  The problem is, it will only be for maybe one million to five million.   (In other words, no where near enough.)

So, the first thing their insurance company will do will be to "tender the policy limits", which means that they will offer up to the plaintiffs the entire amount of the policy, and then they will totally bow out of the lawsuits.  They won't waste tons of money and years of time trying to defend the suits on behalf of the theater.   This means that the theater (or perhaps its chain) will be forced to defend this on their own nickle.

Mannyrock

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2012, 05:45:58 AM »
Or the franchise owner is stuck with it and goes bankrupt

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
The group I find most responsible is the Media who will not have to worry about a law suit.
They play the numbers and keep it going for days or months. They relish these events and seek them, even help create them. They have already received millions from this event.
Killers are looking for recognition, they want to be the mostest with the bestest, the media gives them the platform, maps, reasons, numbers, all they are looking for. If you don't believe the media is trying for a copycat just watch the tv.
They could eliminate a lot of this by not glorifying it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2012, 03:01:43 AM »
lets face facts a jury will hear the case . Most will feel sorry for those who lost and side with them .