Author Topic: Planning: the 5th Almost Annual New River Valley Mortar and Cannon Shoot  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Just now starting the planning.

We will have a new site.   Looks like 100-200-300 yards.

Dale and I are sorting out dates that are open and will post more AS SOON AS we know anything.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
That's excellent news on the new site and the additional range will help greatly with some of the cannon..... perhaps we can actually have some targets made up I would be willing to help with that....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Rock6.3

• Trade Count: (0)
New River Valley California?  I don't see that on a map........

Offline GGaskill

Wrong side of country.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
New River Valley California?  I don't see that on a map........

The New River that flows through Virginia North and then West  through West Virginia.

The shoot will be in Pulaski County.  Dale and I will check it out this week.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

;D  As the crow flies it's just a tad past Roanoke Va. down past the holler and up the other side o thee mountian...... up thar in them hills ware they still play Bluegrass music......God"s Country.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
That's excellent news on the new site and the additional range will help greatly with some of the cannon..... perhaps we can actually have some targets made up I would be willing to help with that....

Excellent - we need to crank that into the planning!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
;D  As the crow flies it's just a tad past Roanoke Va. down past the holler and up the other side o thee mountian...... up thar in them hills ware they still play Bluegrass music......God"s Country.......

Do a search on "Five pounds of possum".  Written by a fellow from near here.  Well worth the listen - a good into to the culture here.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

Perhaps I should have phrased that "the other side of the country."  Nothing wrong with VA besides its proximity to Wash, DC.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Perhaps I should have phrased that "the other side of the country."  Nothing wrong with VA besides its proximity to Wash, DC.

THere is Virginia and then there is Northern Virginia.  Too close to the [insert descriptor of your choice] of D.C.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Sounds great, when will we have an approximate date?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline KABAR2

I have a feeling date will be dependant on when M&T of Seacoast Artillery will be in our area...... once that is settled we should have a date range.....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works

Step 1.  Dale and I walk the ground and confer with the owner.
Step 2.  Dale and I and owner pick a date (if you have good/bad dates lets us know).
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com

I have a feeling date will be dependant on when M&T of Seacoast Artillery will be in our area...... once that is settled we should have a date range.....   

I hope something I wrote wasn't misconstrued, Allen.  When I mentioned we would love to join you guys in Virginia at your shoot, I was thinking about next year, not this one.  We will be busy final finishing and final sight machining clear through the third week in August and won't get on the road until the first week in September and won't be back from scheduled deliveries in the midwest and the east coast until the end of the third week.

I bet you guys will accomplish this year's shoot long before that and you should.  Next year we won't be working on a mammoth project, just a little of this and a little of that, so we will be able to match Your Schedule and attend the New River Valley Shoot whenever you decide to have it.  For those of you who have never participated, we encourage you to do so!  Lots of friendly people who are eager to share their knowledge with you will be there.  We had a fantastic time at the first two NRV shoots and plan to be there in 2013 with the  7" Brooke and a 200 yard tennis ball gun.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Step 1 MAY occur Firday.

What dates should we avoid?  (Like NSSA et al.)

Sept 14th is my wife's birthday, so it's not likely to occur then.

Will undoubtedly occur on a Saturday.

Labor Day?  (Hillsville Gun Show)

NOTHING planned yet.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Dale and I were talking about targets today.  One crazy idea that emerged was to have a pop-up target of a skunk.  You would have 5 seconds to hit it - or be sprayed!  (OK, I've trapped 19 of them this summer and it's getting old - and it "sometimes" spills over into other conversations.)

Exploding skunk targets?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

You would have 5 seconds to hit it - or be sprayed!

Sounds like time for canister.  Also, sounds like fun although not a typical cannon target.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Dale and I were talking about targets today.  One crazy idea that emerged was to have a pop-up target of a skunk.  You would have 5 seconds to hit it - or be sprayed!  (OK, I've trapped 19 of them this summer and it's getting old - and it "sometimes" spills over into other conversations.)

Exploding skunk targets?

I'm seriously beginning to think that it would be a good thing for you to try and keep skunks off your mind completely for a spell. :o :P
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works

Exploding skunk targets?

I'm seriously beginning to think that it would be a good thing for you to try and keep skunks off your mind completely for a spell. :o :P

20 last year, 19 thus far (all trapped within 50 feet of the house) and one I swerved to HIT.
I'm working on the younger generation this year - all about 1 to 2 lbs.  NEXT year should be much cleaner air and lower risk for rabies.  I'm ALMOST at the point where I'll try to skin one out.

We COULD do one LIVE.
 :o
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

I hope something I wrote wasn't misconstrued, Allen.  When I mentioned we would love to join you guys in Virginia at your shoot, I was thinking about next year, not this one.  We will be busy final finishing and final sight machining clear through the third week in August and won't get on the road until the first week in September and won't be back from scheduled deliveries in the midwest and the east coast until the end of the third week.

I bet you guys will accomplish this year's shoot long before that and you should.  Next year we won't be working on a mammoth project, just a little of this and a little of that, so we will be able to match Your Schedule and attend the New River Valley Shoot whenever you decide to have it.  For those of you who have never participated, we encourage you to do so!  Lots of friendly people who are eager to share their knowledge with you will be there.  We had a fantastic time at the first two NRV shoots and plan to be there in 2013 with the  7" Brooke and a 200 yard tennis ball gun.

Tracy and Mike
Actually the fault lies with me, I was thinking these plans were for next year as we are in the hottest part of the year...... also as this is an almost annual event it could have been taken that way... my mistake....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Almost means it's been annual 4 times out of 5!
We missed a year somewhere along the line.

And, you are right, it could easily be interpreted in several ways.

Tomorrow Dale and will look over the potential range.

Still need dates to avoid.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter

Exploding skunk targets?

20 last year, 19 thus far (all trapped within 50 feet of the house) and one I swerved to HIT.
I'm working on the younger generation this year - all about 1 to 2 lbs.  NEXT year should be much cleaner air and lower risk for rabies.  I'm ALMOST at the point where I'll try to skin one out.

We COULD do one LIVE.
 :o

Just don't let anyone from the History Channel get wind of this phenomenon, because they would soon have a crew filming an episode down there, that would claim that ancient alien astronauts were somehow reponsible for the infestation.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Hey CW,

Thanks to you and Dale for looking after the shoot! 
One weekend to avoid is the fall NSSA nationals.

Lacking mini vans and the like, plywood works well for basic cannon targets. 
1/2 of a 4x8 sheet @ 200 yds with a spray painted 20" bull works well for the rifled tubes. 
Nothing fancy for the support. Just two metal fence T poles that lean against the back. KISS. The smooth bore guys would probably like something bigger at this range.

Still like the mini van idea.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
  sounds great,   mountain rifles going neck to neck again?   tho i have not practiced so you will beat me this time.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Dale and I looked over the potential site.

Shooting from one hilltop towards a small pond (far bank 300 yards) slight rise and open field infront of pond, some 75 yards open incline behind. 

About 20 degree wide sector Ok for shooting, with forrest behind.

There will be (in the morning) a meeting of the local church's men's group (range is on pastor's farm) where there will be skeet shooting, pistol shooting and rifle shooting (3 locations) in the morning.  We have the afternoon (lunch for all at 12noon) and then the mortar and cannon shoot.

Location is in Snowville, VA.  I'll send grid-coordinates, address and directions to those interested when the time draws near.

(I will need to know who's attending to know how much ribeye to get.)

Tentatively looking at Saturday, 22 September 2012.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
You'd better believe us smooth bore guys are going to need something a little bigger at 200 yds, at least this one will.  Everything sounds good, hope I can make it. Thanks Dale & CW for looking out for us!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
We very likely can move the mortars up to where the pond is at about 100yds and then move back for the big bore stuff. 

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Saturday, 22 September 2012    End of third week in Sept.     Interesting, VERY interesting.

M&T
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Saturday, 22 September 2012    End of third week in Sept.     Interesting, VERY interesting.

M&T

Yes .....  ?
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired