Author Topic: county fairs?  (Read 746 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
county fairs?
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
how many here attend their county fairs? we have  one here in knox  which everyone  gets all giddy over and  i still have no idea why i understand the kids and the 4h projects which is a good thing, but  like all the local merchants  sitting up all week selling  the  stuff they sell everyday anyhow? and  6tp 8bucks for a fair sandwich? no thanks,  the their entertainment  is usually a truck pull and tractor pull different nights but instead of local boys  bringing thier  home grown trucks and tractors its all  the  professonal pullers which usually after 5 or 6  runs they are all the same, 2 nights aweek they have harness racing all evening  which  is cool but they  have a 2dollar limit on wagering!!!!! heck cant make anything there hahahah, maybe iam wrong but  why the attraction to these event? and iam not complaining  just curious?

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: county fairs?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
We go to jefferson county fair every year to watch demolition derby on the last night of fair that's the only day we ever go.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
i always go to ours here in newton county mo. its kind of a little podunk affair.i like to look at the cattle and hogs, my daughter likes to see the horses. i was amazed at the number of rabbits they were showing this year, i raise meat rabbits and was amazed at all the different breeds and sizes and colors they come in.10 years ago i doubt there was a dozen rabbits but now maybe 200 showing.the truck and tractor pulls are interesting with lots of local guys pulling their 4wd and 2wd trucks. a freind of mine pulled there a few years ago in a 2wd beater ford he built and got running the night before,they used a old hydraulic tank for a gas tank, there must of been sum oil left in it cuz when he really got it wound up it filled the entire arena with a 1 acre cloud of smoke. everybody was rolling laughing and it was on the front page of the paper the next day.

Offline chefjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
Hey, this is good, mostly clean entertainment,place to showyoface, as cheap as you want to make it.Its worth it just to watch folks of all walks of life.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:35:45 AM »
i always go to ours here in newton county mo. its kind of a little podunk affair.i like to look at the cattle and hogs, my daughter likes to see the horses. i was amazed at the number of rabbits they were showing this year, i raise meat rabbits and was amazed at all the different breeds and sizes and colors they come in.10 years ago i doubt there was a dozen rabbits but now maybe 200 showing.the truck and tractor pulls are interesting with lots of local guys pulling their 4wd and 2wd trucks. a freind of mine pulled there a few years ago in a 2wd beater ford he built and got running the night before,they used a old hydraulic tank for a gas tank, there must of been sum oil left in it cuz when he really got it wound up it filled the entire arena with a 1 acre cloud of smoke. everybody was rolling laughing and it was on the front page of the paper the next day.

thats  what ours  used to  do , local people in the events,  now its the ntpa groups  come in.  bet  he like that pic on the front page

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »
Ours here in Allen county is to the point that  IF I go , its going packed , between the crack heads and the local gangbangers here in Lima , its just not any fun .

I did like to go look over the new Tractors & Combines and maybe grab a sausage pattie from the local pork board booth but even that is getting hard to deal with anymore !  :(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »
The Wife and I are headed to the WV State Fair the weekend of August 10, will be our first trip to a state fair. We do go to the local co. fair every year to see the sights. I usually check out the clothes the young'ns are wearing with bewilderment.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
Ours here in Allen county is to the point that  IF I go , its going packed , between the crack heads and the local gangbangers here in Lima , its just not any fun .

I did like to go look over the new Tractors & Combines and maybe grab a sausage pattie from the local pork board booth but even that is getting hard to deal with anymore !  :(

you know bud , that was  one of the first things i noticed  when i went in to watch the grand kids in 4h judging,  it is posted  no weapons no ccw signs up right at the gate , i told the  guy i knew takin money  if i didnt want to watch the two kids , id turn around and not  go in because of that !!!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
10-4 Stimpylu on the CCW.  Last time I went to the Lucas Co. Fair, during the daylite, I saw folks there that made the Carneys nervous. :o    Other than to take my daughter to ride da rides there wasn't much reason to go.  Also, they set it up on asphalt which is lovely combination with a summer heat wave. :P    I do miss the corn dogs. :'(

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.