Author Topic: Call Redfield an ask them why the Revenge Scopes are made in the Phillipines  (Read 4168 times)

Offline skinman

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
I discovered that ALL Revenge scopes are not made here at all. I called the plant in Beaverton, Oregon and had a nice chat with a fella from the company. I cannot quote him word for word, the jest of it is this: Leupold/Stevens are manufacturing the Revenge scopes in the Phillipines so they can concentrate that flow of money into thier R&D for law enforcement/military scopes. Since they can hire folks in the Phillipines at such a much cheaper rate, they can flow that income back into the higher priced Leupold line. At the same time, they are going to continue manufacturing the current Redfield line at the Beaverton plant for now.
Well, to each their own. I try to support American made products as much as I possibly can. Guess it comes down to what each individual thinks is best for themselves. I personally feel decieved by Redfield, for no where in their literature will it say the Revenge is made in the Phillipines nor on their website. I ordered mine online and found it was written on the box/scope. I will continue to support Leupold/Stevens and the U.S. Redfield line; I will never purchase their Revenge line again.
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline briarpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
Like the food industry they will stop putting place of origin on the box. Most are begining to do that now.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
that really doesn't surprise me i have most made none american  scopes some are real good .don't like to pay over 100 dollars for a scope haven't had much trouble with them america has lost most of it manufactured goods.and we have taught them how too.my company sold us out big time.

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
Same here.  I am really fed up with the attitude of these companies.  They know that their customers have been giving them extra grace, and keeping them afloat for years: because they are made in USA.  All they have to do is give us classic American quality, and they can charge what they need to charge in order to make a fair profit.  They don't even have to be competitively priced.

But that's not good enough. It's getting almost impossible to find a company with honor. They charge almost the same prices even when their cost is reduced to a fraction of that by selling out.  They just can't wait to take part in the raping and plundering of their own nation in it's dieing hour.
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
I agree with everyone that responded to my topic. Seems to me that American companies just keep trying to dumb us old folks down. What will our grandchildren do, or theirs after we are long gone? We were once known world wide for manufacturing here and we were proud of it. We got up and felt good to go to work due to knowing that what we were making was proudly made here. And the bottom line was that most of us would buy what we built. It's just all a shame now......
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
same reason  ford trucks are made in canada and chevs in mexico. You dont see that stamped on them anywhere either. I agree that its a sorry state but its the way of the world anymore. Vortex is another company that claims to be american but imports products. The days of sticking to "union made in america" is about gone. If a guy only bought stuff like that he wouldnt be able to buy half the stuff he does. Its a catch 22. Most arent willing to buck up and pay more for something made here. If the goverment stepped in and gave big companys more breaks youd end up paying more in taxes yourself and if they raised import tariffs to make the imports more in line price wize the american companys sure wouldnt lower there prices. You balk at buying a foriegn made scope but just about every electrical appliance in your house is made overseas. Whens the last time you saw an american made tv? Or bought a car or truck that every part was made here and assembled here and when sold all the money stayed here. Bottom line is in america the most important thing to most people is money. They dont care if there neighbor is out of work as long as they themselves have 20 bucks in there wallet. Just ride by one of the local ore mines or a steal mill someday and look in the parking lot. It will shock you as to how many foriegn made vechiles are in the parking lot. I dont know what those guys are thinking. Nobody looks at the big picture anymore. So next time your complaining that a company outsorced production out of country ask yourself if its totaly there fault or maybe a bit yours too. You want a well made scope, but you want it cheap. Buck up and buy a real leupold if made in america really matters to you.
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
If you eat seafood at a resturant, it is probably foreign.  I think 80% of shrimp are imported now.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Yep its sickening ! It a amazes me that our food supply is being imported. Talopia farm raised in China or Thialand. Im sure thats safe. As far as Redfield, that sucks. Send them an Email, let them know How you feel. Will it work. maybe not but it only takes a minute.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
Mr. Lloyde, it does not have to be the way of the world. Yes, you are right about most products in the U.S. have foreign material somewhere on them. It is just important to understand that in order make a stand, sometimes it takes only one person to make a difference. I don't care if I get hammered for it. I was glad to see that GE has brought back a line of refridgerators back to the U.S.. It's called customer demands. If I can buy a product made soley right here in America, then by God I will in a second without reservation. As I look around my home, the only products that we have that were made outside of the U.S. are the t.v., radio, and I suppose some parts of my Hewlitt Packard computer. It does not make me happy, and I enjoy making my Congressmen/Senators know about it. I have no problem calling out the companies that won't bring their business back here where it once was. If companies have a contact number, I make sure I let them know my position. "THE WAY OF WORLD" can be reversed if enough folks just stand up to it.

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
Mr. Lloyde, as far as telling me to "buck up and buy a Leupold," sir, I have several on my firearms that I have had for years. Let me enlighten you. I am retired from the construction building business and I built custom homes for my living. I would never cut corners in order to gain just a tad bit more of pocket change. I saw other home builder's who would put what I would view as inferior material into a building, yet charge the new homeowner what I would. (We build a home based on several factors: What is put into the home=what the price per square foot will be charged for the finished home). Mr. Lloyde, I call this integrity. It molds a person's character and that is what our U.S. based corporations have lost. Yes, we live in a free market economy, so that no one can dictate what we buy. I get that. If it takes a company to go overseas in order to use that "cheap labor" money to drive their other U.S. products and please the stockholders with higher earnings and profit sharing and bonuses at the top tiers of companies....then that kind of business practice will eventually be their downfall. And in regard to Union Labor, folks who belonged to various unions could easily afford higher priced products. When wages go backwards, like they have for the last ten years or so, your calling out of "buying products on the cheap" is not the problem of the consumer. It's the problem of corporatations being allowed to revert their products overseas for their own financial gain. I will not be a party to such nonsense that I will buy a product on the cheap and expect it to be or perform as a higher priced product. I'm not naive to the business practices the U.S. corporations do. If we continue to ignore this problem and hope that it goes away.....dream on, that's exactly what they want us to do.

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
I commend you for your honor.

Few people realize that the base of any true economy is manufacturing and agriculture. All other legitimate elements of an economy ride on this foundation.  Without manufacturing and agriculture, you don't really have an economy. You have a smoke and mirrors game where money is just being moved around while you build up debt.

And bankruptcy and failure are imminent.

Patrick Henry

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
I posted this information because I believe that the flow of information is important. I felt that we as American's deserve to be able to stay abreast of information, no matter how it may effect us. For further information, please go to the Political Issues Discussion on this website and scroll down to the topic: 200,000 businesses gone/3 million jobs lost. All from 2008-2010. I recommend that it is a good read.
I may be retired, but I will never set still and see our country being devoured by U.S. corporations and the elite of OUR country.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
I too sure dont have an argument with your posts. I try to buy american made and even union made products when possible. It would be a cold day in hell you ever saw a jap car in my driveway. I guess some of my response came from the fact that when the new redfields came out i bought 2 of them. A 4x12 and a 2x7. Both were junk. both went back to redfield (leupold) because they wouldnt hold zero. the 4x12 eventually came back ok but the 2x7 still after two trips didnt work right. I sold both CHEAP and told the guys i sold them too what i had gone through and my opinion of them. I didnt want them on my guns because i could never again have faith in them. My point was that you cant expect leupold quality at redfield prices. Another one i chuckle at is guys that go all gaga over a ziess conquest. How could you possibly think zeiss could make a 400 dollar scope that is in any way comparable to there 2k scopes. Guys buy them because they say ziess and they want to impress there buddys. There not a bad scope but the couple i have pail in comparison to leupold vx3s and in my opinion the vx2s are on level or a bit better. back to your point-- its a sad world we live in and our country is going to crap fast. Hell, we dont even have an american president. What chance do we have of getting everyone to buy american when they wont even vote for one.
blue lives matter

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
I commend you for your honor.

Few people realize that the base of any true economy is manufacturing and agriculture. All other legitimate elements of an economy ride on this foundation.  Without manufacturing and agriculture, you don't really have an economy. You have a smoke and mirrors game where money is just being moved around while you build up debt.

And bankruptcy and failure are imminent.
Not withstanding the current drought conditions, agriculture is not the issue currently, they're doing well for the most part. Much of the ag. land being purchased currently is being paid for with cash.
Hopefully the manufacturing issue is cyclical and we see production return to the US as quality from elsewhere deteriorates. However the same people who sing the union praises need to back it up with their actions and not hit Wal-mart once a week for their dose of Chinese consumer goods. Unfortunately not many are taking a stand as the OP has. Some unions are also not completely innocent in the matter as they have gone beyond their original goals of safe working conditions, fair wage, etc. and created an environment where more is paid for mediocre production. Chinese and Russian products feature poor tolerances, lousy fit and finish, and questionable materials. Products from Taiwan and the Phillipines offer better quality that rivals what US factories can turn out, don't blame them for the designs provided and/or approved by US buyers.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
I do see a problem trend in our agriculture.  The percentage of employment here that is held by American citizens continues to decline.

Patrick Henry

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
I do see a problem trend in our agriculture.  The percentage of employment here that is held by American citizens continues to decline.
There is a definite consolidation of land and resources into fewer owners and increasing technology continues to eliminate jobs. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the "family farm", doesn't look real positive.

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
True.  But I'm also considering how much of the employment is held by migrant workers.  Most of this money is sent to their families back home, so it contributes little to nothing for our economy.

Patrick Henry

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
Folks, I didn't want to create a firestorm here. Yes, this is an optics forum to discuss questions/answers concerning various scopes/manufacturers. I simply wanted to draw to anyone's attention that Leupold/Stevens should address their Redfield line of scopes and tell us, the consumers that the Revenge scopes are manufactured in the Phillipines, not here in the U.S.A.. When they state specifically in their Redfield flyer that "riflescopes delivered through craftsmanship, not cargo ship," that would lead me to believe that ALL their scopes were manufactured at the Beaverton, Oregon plant. Their advertisment will go further and say "$130.00 goes a lot farther when you don't have to cross the pacific." There are other quotes concerning the Redfield line, but none stuck harder than the first two. I just hope that they have the decency to let everyone know that the Revenge line is made overseas in the Phillipines. That way folks can make up their own minds in whether to buy a scope made here, or made elsewhere.
J.D.

Offline Drilling Man

Another one i chuckle at is guys that go all gaga over a ziess conquest. How could you possibly think zeiss could make a 400 dollar scope that is in any way comparable to there 2k scopes. Guys buy them because they say ziess and they want to impress there buddys. There not a bad scope but the couple i have pail in comparison to leupold vx3s and in my opinion the vx2s are on level or a bit better.

That's was one of the dumbest things i've seen you post here, as i sure as heck didn't buy my Conquest to "impress" anyone.  I own a LOT of scopes, most are Leupolds, but NONE of them allow me to see in dim light at well as my Conquest, and that's why my "go to" gun has a Conquest on it!

DM

Offline 2ndtimer

• Avid Poster
I discovered that ALL Revenge scopes are not made here at all. I called the plant in Beaverton, Oregon and had a nice chat with a fella from the company. I cannot quote him word for word, the jest of it is this: Leupold/Stevens are manufacturing the Revenge scopes in the Phillipines so they can concentrate that flow of money into thier R&D for law enforcement/military scopes. Since they can hire folks in the Phillipines at such a much cheaper rate, they can flow that income back into the higher priced Leupold line. At the same time, they are going to continue manufacturing the current Redfield line at the Beaverton plant for now.
Well, to each their own. I try to support American made products as much as I possibly can. Guess it comes down to what each individual thinks is best for themselves. I personally feel decieved by Redfield, for no where in their literature will it say the Revenge is made in the Phillipines nor on their website. I ordered mine online and found it was written on the box/scope. I will continue to support Leupold/Stevens and the U.S. Redfield line; I will never purchase their Revenge line again.
When Leupold/Redfield announced the new Revenge line of scopes as being cheaper, I feared they might be Chinese manufactured.  Your announcement that they are actually assembled in the Phillipines doesn't bother me a bit.  I have a couple of Burris Fullfield II scopes that were manufactured in the Phillipines and they have worked fine.  I have couple of the Intensity Optics scopes that were imported by ATK for a year or so, also Phillipines manufactured, along with a Nikon Buckmaster manufactured in, you guessed it, the Phillipines.  I can afford these scopes and the rifles they sit on.  If I had all Leupold scopes, I would have fewer rifles and scopes, due to their increased cost.  I also own a couple of Redfield Revolution scopes and a couple of Leupold VX-III scopes.  I will buy a new Leupold for my next new rifle, as I am planning on buying a nicer rifle than I usually buy next time.  The reason the manufacturers moved production to the Phillipines is because they were able to match the quality previously provided by US manufacture at a lower price point and be able to offer what the market demanded, decent reliable scopes for less than $250.  In that price range, the imported scopes offer better value and quality than the domestic competition, the Leupold Rifleman and VX-1.  The average shooter/hunter is unwilling or unable to come up with the additional $100 to $150 extra to get a comparable quality "made in USA" scope.  That is why the newer Redfield Revolutions have enjoyed such widespread success.   They are a $200 to $250 American made scope that is as good or almost as good as a $175 to $200 imported scope. 
Your point is well taken, however.  Since I can now afford the more expensive Leupold scopes, I will buy them going forward and quit trying to find the bargain scope that is "almost as good as a Leupold"  (nitrex, burris, nikon, weaver, bushnell, vortex)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
I dont know about the new Redfield scope line, but I have an Redfield Partner SE in 3-12x44 Japanese made scope on my T/C Encore 223 Remington and it works fine. It was my father in-laws and I know he paid $200 despite my wanting him to buy Leupold.

I suggest buy Leupold.

yooper77

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
You guys are now missing the whole point.  This is a matter of thinking that you were buying American and being willing to pay a lot more.  Then finding out that you didn't get American made at all.  This is not a matter of whether the scopes made in the Philippines are working OK.  If that's all that matters why should you buy from Redfield or Burris at all?  I have a Tasco World Class on one of my Rifles.  It cost $60 and works great.

Patrick Henry

Offline whetrock

I own several Nikon scopes that are made in the Philippines and I must say that they are of respectable quality and a pretty decent value given the price. As for the outsourcing of goods I put the blame .gov. With this horrendous income tax as well as impending regulations and laws in this day and age it's much easier for mass producers to outsource and be done with it. Lets face it the stuff coming from China and the philippines or Taiwan is getting better and better as time goes on. The USA and it's history of production was killed quite some time ago IMO. Much before my time anyhow. I can't say I blame or hate any manufacturer for outsourcing seeing as they are in a business and not a charity or hobby. But yeah it is pretty misleading of Redfield to lead people to believe these are American made.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
Looking at their site it specifically says the Revolution line is made in Oregon, but doesn't make any claims about where the Revenge scopes are made. The spotting scopes and rangefinders are both noted as being imported. I'm guessing the binocs are also imported, but again it makes no mention of where they come from.

Offline Goat

I recently purchased a Revenge 2-7x thinking that it was an American made scope the whole time. The person selling the scope did just as Redfield and didn't mention it either. I guess it wasn't important enough to mention when it was time to remove it from their own collection. Had I had the sense to check it out on their website, as I usually do when I purchase something I'm not familiar with, I wouldn't have been surprised when it was first mentioned on this site a few weeks ago. It really was disappointing to see "Phillipines" written on the bottom of the scope. From now own I will do what I know I should do and check it out before I purchase something I am unfamiliar with.
 I must admit that I am happy with the scope. It is clear and delivers a good clean image from edge to edge. Optics have made a tremendous stride in the last ten years or so . You can purchase a fairly enexpensive scope now with the quality that could only come from the top of the line just a decade or so ago. I will not accept anything but a Leupold for a scope that a hunt rests upon or could possibly be used to defend my family. They have won my trust and I may purchase less expensive scopes to play with but I will only stake my hunts or my life to Leupold. You feel free to purchase what works for you. If you get a lifetime of service from a Tasco or a "no name" brand I am happy for you and wish you the best. Leupold is the best I can afford and if they are overpriced then I am out a few more bucks for something that instills confidence for me.
 I hope that Leupold /Redfield hears us loud and clear but I am afraid that the $$$ speaks far loader than me.
Goat
To knowHim and make Him known

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
Call Redfield an ask them why the Revenge Scopes are made in the Phillipines
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »
How is it that I knew from the moment that they were announced at SHOT that they were made in the Philippines but so many people are finding this as startling news?

I've been of the opinion that Leupold isn't the "great American company" that so many rant about forever.  The tubes for some of their lines are machined in OR but most everything else is imported. Most of it they won't say from where.  There has never been an optics industry in this country so it's not like they've ever ground their own glass.  It's always been outsourced, so why not be forthcoming about it?  Why play the charade unless they are trying to hide something?  I've also seen information that their markup is in the 70% range. Basically they're taking advantage of their customer's loyalty and their "made in the USA" propaganda to pad their profit margins.

Vortex was brought up.  They are an American company and their corporate profits stay in the US.  They outsource their manufacture and assembly but they've never claimed otherwise.  Where each line is made is well known.  Their warranty and CS are exceptional and they don't have a huge markup so you get very good to excellent price to performance ratio.

I'll keep my opinion of unions to myself.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
Strange that Cabelas catalog states that the Revenge is made in the USA.
Kinda makes you wonder  ::)
As far a Leupold goes I have always thought them to be overpriced. JMO
I have some very nice Burris, Weaver and Thompson scopes that I have never had any problems with.
Bushnell I am done with in any model. >:(
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
It's no great surprise that the companies are using overseas labor. It costs too much to produce things here in the US. Everyone knows business boils down to the bottom line plain and simple. Let's just say a worker makes $15 per hour plus medical, dental, 401K, etc... That $15 an hour that the worker sees is probably costing the company $50 or $60 an hour. It's simple economics... Pay $50 or $60 an hour or outsource the work for dirt cheap. :-\  Money talks folks... if a company can make money by saving money they're going to do it. I'm not saying it's right because I don't think it is but I understand why it happens. Personally I would love to see a big 'ol tag on everything I buy that says Made in USA but sadly it ain't gonna happen.

Back to the topic... I don't have a Revenge but I've got a couple Revolutions and I like them alot.

Spanky

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
companies are using overseas labor.
This.
That $15 an hour that the worker sees is probably costing the company $50 or $60 an hour.
Is a direct result of this.  Thank the sense of entitlement of the US worker.  if you expect to be compensated for more than the market value of the labor that you provide, expect to find someone else doing your job.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
What about the lenses Leupold uses on their optics? None of them are made in the US, as they claim no US manufacturer can meet the standards set forth by Leupold.