Author Topic: Call Redfield an ask them why the Revenge Scopes are made in the Phillipines  (Read 4167 times)

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
They claim it's because no US lens company can meet their standards, but the whole truth is that there aren't any US lens companies.  Really never have been any.  The fact that they won't divulge anything more than "Europe and Asia" as far as where their lenses are made is telling.  Both leave a lot of options.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
I don't think Leupold is overpriced.  They make about the cheapest good scope you can buy.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
I don't think Leupold is overpriced.  They make about the cheapest good scope you can buy.

Well, I might have to agree with you now. I got a closeout 3x9 VX-II (not VX-2) here in town on Tuesday for $161.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)

Well, I might have to agree with you now. I got a closeout 3x9 VX-II (not VX-2) here in town on Tuesday for $161.
Can't beat a deal like that, I'm not usually that lucky, but always on the lookout.
It is interesting that Leupold won't let us know where their lenses come from.  One would think if they were using a quality name lens they would let us know. Still a good product that backs it with a good warranty.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
I'm pretty sure they are made in Japan.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Savage .250

Labor costs!    Should be no surprise there.   I often wonder if over-seas plants have unions?   With labor costs low, I guess not.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
I'm pretty sure they are made in Japan.
Some, probably.  All, certainly not.  If that were the case it would be to their advantage to actually come out and say it.  Japan has a history of producing quality optics.  Odds are very good that a lot of their glass comes from the PI and China.  I know that some of their spotting scopes (relatively expensive ones as well) are 100% made in China.

If you don't think that a 70% mark up is overpriced...

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
I had to write a paper for one of my MBA classes along with a 6 week marketing campaign, for a product of our choice.  I chose Leupold VX line of rifle scopes, and I only found hear say on where they lenses came from.  One source said they are from the same company in Japan that makes Nikon optics.  The same source also said the Rifleman and VX-1 lines lenses were believed to be made in the Phillipines. 

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
Re: Call Redfield an ask them why the Revenge Scopes are made in the Phillipines
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »
Unless you've got insider information at Leupold, you'll probably never know.  I've never seen it nailed down, unlike pretty much every other brand out there, which leads me to believe that there are NDA's on the table at Leupy.

FWIW, the Nikons, at least through the Monarch series, are no longer made in Japan.  The two Monarch scopes that I bought earlier this year were made in the PI and my Monarch 5 binos were made in China.  The Monarch X and African series are still made in Japan.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: Call Redfield an ask them why the Revenge Scopes are made in the Phillipines
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 04:18:49 AM »
I have three Japanese made Weaver Redfield & BSA scopes that work fine so far, but will be replaced with Leupold's if they every fail. The BSA is a adjustable objective airgun scope which came on my Gamo 440 hunter .177 pellet rifle.

Leupold's customer service/warranty/quality cannot be beat or matched in anyway in my eyes/mind.

yooper77

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
Leupold's customer service/warranty/quality cannot be beat or matched in anyway in my eyes/mind.
Looked at Vortex?

Offline yooper77

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
Looked at Vortex?

Never heard of them, but I doubt they would compare too Leupold anyway?

Thanks,
yooper77

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Looked at Vortex?

Thanks,
yooper77
Never heard of Vortex?  You gotta get out more!  ;D

Offline yooper77

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »
Looked at Vortex?

Thanks,
yooper77
Never heard of Vortex?  You gotta get out more!  ;D

akpls, I can understand the humor.

Well, I did look up some Vortex scopes on the internet, but for the price I would still purchase Leupold. I have dealt with  Leupold's customer service from used scopes I purchased and received total satisfaction which makes me a life long customer.

Thank you,
yooper77