Author Topic: Cayuga County is a rifle county now...  (Read 835 times)

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cayuga County is a rifle county now...
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:35:40 AM »
The governor signed the bills last week to allow rifles for big game hunting in Cayuga County and to fix the glitch from last year that excluded Cortland County from the crossbow usage.  Both are effective this season and each includes the entire county.

The hunting and trapping guide went to press well before the bills were signed so they won't be reflected in the guide and as always the guide will state that folks should check for any changes before going hunting.  Fortunately all the late changes so far are permissive and not restrictive (like the Cortland County crossbow issue) so there won;t be any enforcement issues.  I don't know of any other areas that changed to allow rifles this year.  Does anyone else?

Lance

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cayuga County is a rifle county now...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »
is cortland county a rifle county?
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline penrod72

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:27 AM »
Lance - thanks for posting this, not sure how or when I would have found out. I have several rifles that have been waiting for use, and Cayuga County is where I hunt. I've spent a lot of time with a muzzleloader and pistol, getting away from the shotgun, and now have only a few weeks before work picks up to develop loads and get ready. There's a 7x57 and 250 savage my brother will want shot and loaded for (he's in Vermont) and won't have time to deal with, and I have another 250 and a 270 that need to be checked out. Oh, and maybe that Ruger deerslayer 44 mag will need to be brought out. And my brother had a MArlin 357 lever...

Holy cow I'm going to be busy!

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 02:40:16 AM »
Sorry to be late answering these.  Yes Cortland County has been a rifle county since the 2011 season.

Penrod, I live and do most of my hunting in Sennett.  Where do you hunt?

Here's the DEC link to the rifle, shotgun and bow areas...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/35010.html

Geartow, you can also hunt bear in that part of Cortland County in wildlife management area (WMU) 7M.  I think that opened for bear in 2009(?)

Offline penrod72

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:33:09 AM »
Niles/ Moravia near Frozen Ocean State Forest.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:15:46 AM »
I was just down that way Friday.  I got a look at a guys opening weekend buck from last year that is back from the taxidermist.  It scored 158" after almost 20" of deductions and was well over 200 pounds dressed and hanging with the cape and head off. 

Its neck and shoulders look like it was an offensive lineman of the deer team.  His near twin is still in the same area.  I've seen trail cam photos of both deer in the same frame dating to almost exactly a year ago and the other one is year older now and still there.

Lance

Offline penrod72

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »
that sounds like a nice buck. We don't see many of much size, although I'm sure they are around since we have the feed for them. We have alot of does around- haven't put the trail cams up so no idea if theres much alse around. Lots on hunting pressure in or area, although the state property has been losing hunters every year.