Author Topic: New Golden Garrison Cannon  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Squire

• Trade Count: (0)
New Golden Garrison Cannon
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
 Last February, I recruited Zulu and Irishman for a project.  The result is pictured below after many hours of design, sweat and labor.  Design and quality are exceptional.  The largest “Golden Gun” ever made by the Irishman weighs 47-1/2 pounds, .900 x 2” powder chamber with a 1.734 x 10” bore.  OAL is 17 inches.  The “Garrison Carriage” created by Zulu is crafted from red oak timber which had to be re-designed and enlarged from a previous design to accommodate the larger and much heavier barrel.  The iron appointments, capsquares and pins are handmade by Zulu.  He also made the accessories which fit both the powder chamber and bore: worms, sponges, ramrod and powder charge guide.  I appreciate the craftsmanship, the time spent and effort from each of them.
Soon, I hope to have more pictures after gunnery practice.          Squire

:D
Ahhhh..... Cannons.  They do bring a smile!

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
Re: New Golden Garrison Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
Looks beautiful. Is this from 3" brass bar? I would love it if you could link full size pics. I know its awesome you said Zulu and Irish man are involved so I don't even need a close up to know its amazing.Still though pretty Please add full size pics.

Offline Squire

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
Sorry about the photos.  That was my first attempt.  Zulu is going to post a few photos for me.  Thanks!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »
 ;D ;D Squire is a proud Papa! ;) ;)

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
WOW. This is a beautiful cannon all around. The finish and form on the barrel is amazing. The back of the barrel design is really nice. I love the rounded cascable and the way it tapers smoothly up the back.  Nice big trunnions that match and aren't like little wings flapping in the wind.

This close up on the carriage shows just how much work had to go into this carriage. The trunnion caps alone probably took 4 hours to make. I have made trunnion caps like this in the past but never thought to weld pins to the ends for better form factor. The machine must have been set up right because the bead doesn't look to have been ground at all and it looks perfect.

You are one lucky dog.

Thanks for the pics.

Offline Squire

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
Thanks for helping with the photos Zulu.   :)   Doc, the diameter of the brass stock was, I believe, 4-1/2 inches or more and weighed 80 pounds plus.  Irishman could probably give more details.  The largest final diameter was 4-1/4 inches on the cascable end.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for the great description and the pictures are great. We all look forward to smoke and fire. Zulu, your artistic abilities and pictures brought out the best.

The stock started as 4 1/2" diameter and 83 pounds. Finished weight was 47.5 lbs. with a shipping weight of 73 lbs. The crate was oak also. There was alot to learn here....about more than just barrel building.

Michael

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
Mike that is one pretty cannon. When we conversed over the phone you said it was a large piece of work and you are correct. Zulu carriage is a Picasso of wood working. Mike remember that lathe that was for sale here in Seal Beach would that of helped you? ???  Tim you are one lucky owner and true to his word Mike did not release any secrets about your master piece.

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »

Mike that is one pretty cannon. When we conversed over the phone you said it was a large piece of work and you are correct. Zulu carriage is a Picasso of wood working. Mike remember that lathe that was for sale here in Seal Beach would that of helped you? ???  Tim you are one lucky owner and true to his word Mike did not release any secrets about your master piece.

Yes Dennis, that lathe would have allowed this project to go easy on me. As it was, I had to learn alot of new tricks. I had a duplicate piece of bar sitting here in case I screwed this one up. It is still sitting there. Havn't decided what it will end up as yet. Is that lathe still in your garage waiting for me? Before I can add a machine like that I will have to add to my shop.   

Michael

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
Mike, I have a feeling that your bar stock won't setting around to long. Someone out there is going to want one of those for their collection. I know that it will not come cheap, but who can say "Hey I've got #2 in my collection" Nice work buddy

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
Mike, I have a feeling that your bar stock won't setting around to long. Someone out there is going to want one of those for their collection. I know that it will not come cheap, but who can say "Hey I've got #2 in my collection" Nice work buddy

Kabar collects #2's. ;D ;D ;D
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Squire

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:17:24 AM »
 ;D ;D   I'm so excited.  Tomorrow, I am traveling up North to my brothers large acreage to try out this beauty and see how she shoots.   ;D ;D

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »

Dennis,

I keep looking at it. I think that it might make an awsum GB Parrott or SAMCC GB. Either would be No. 01. Still have some catch up and stock building so that I can reduce shipping time, but, I have that blank sitting so I walk by it often. Thanks Dennis

Michael

\\