Author Topic: I need to upgrade...  (Read 601 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
I need to upgrade...
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
I just got done loading a couple hundred 38 Special plinker loads and I've decided I need to speed up my production line...  Loading pistol rounds one at a time has finally broken me.  Sooo, I need to figure out if I should go to a turret or progressive stystem. What do you guys use and what do you recommend? Kinda leaning toward the Lee line, just because of price and because I really don't run that many rounds of pistol a year, but enough... I reload 38 Special, 40 S&W, and 44 Mag in pistol.  I will continue to load one at a time for rifle, at least my long range stuff. Although will probably use it for the naked AR.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: I need to upgrade...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »
buckskin

What I do now is have 3 single stage press's set up on the bench in a row , its not as fast as a progressive but I can turn them out just about as fast as a turret . Once the case's are sized , I prime them with the Lee hand primer an then use press 1 to bell & charge with a powder thru expander die , while press 2 is used to seat the bullet & press 3 is used to crimp with a Lee FC die .

I am realy thinking about an up-grade to a Dillon 550 though as even the way I do it is getting slow for the number of pistol rounds I'm loading these days .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:14:13 AM »
I have a Dillon 450. It works good, but it is a major operation to change calibers. I used to have three pistol calibers too, but after changing the Dillon from one to the other a few times I just did my 38/357s on the Dillon and 44s and 45s on the standard press. Eventually I just got rid of the other calibers and specialized in 38/357. They will do anything I need to do with a pistol.

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »
OMG did you say Lee???  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!  It has to be Blue!!!!!!!!!  Red works fine.  NO BLUE it has to be Blue!!!!! Red!  Blue! Red! Blue!.....

Now that I've saved every one from having to chime in with the whole red, blue argument...

I got a pro 1000 at a yard sale for $20 with a set of dies in it.   After a bit of tinkering, I liked it so much I got rid of my Lyman turret and got a Lee 3 hole turret so my turrets would interchange.  (Warning the dies have to be reset to use in the turret or progressive).  I also had a Dillon 550 but I got rid of it because it was unreasonably expensive to set it up for different calibers.  It also took a bit of tinkering to get it going.

So, in my experience here goes

Lee auto turret
 Pro's
 Cheap, caliber change parts, pieces etc, faster than single stage, classic turret (cast iron base) is fairly bullet proof.  Turrets are cheap enough to have a dedicated turret for each die set.  Loads most any cartridge
 Con's
 Slower than a progressive, 4 handle pulls for each round, regular turret press is not as strong (but will work for most reloaders). Rebels at short stroking the handle.

Lee Pro 1000
 Pro's
 Cheap, puts out lots of ammo quickly, works well when you do your part.
 Con's
 Have to keep it clean and in adjustment, needs to be tinkered with occasionally,  unforgiving of operator error and contamination, rebels at short stroking the handle.  Not really designed for rifle reloading.

Any regular turret press
 The only time saved is on die changes.  Turret heads may too expensive to make it worth you time to buy enough for all your dies (the only thing I had against my lyman).

Dillon
 Pro's
 works good, produces lots of ammo, usually more forgiving of contamination and operator error, built like a tank accepts most rifle and pistol rounds
 Cons
 Initial cost is expensive.  Addition caliber changes are expensive.  Still requires some fiddling to keep it all working right.  If it doesn't have an auto advance, it is very easy to double charge a load.  Use a powder that will spill out of the case if double charged!

So for my .02

For a few hundred rounds per year on a tight budget, the lee auto index turret.

For several hundred rounds per year to a few 1000, you cant beat the lee classic turret (cast base).  (This would be my suggestion to all but the most serious reloaders from newbies to well experienced)

For more rounds and several different calibers and your remotely mechanically inclined, a Lee progressive (mostly hangun or smaller rifles)

For 1000's of rounds in a single or very few calibers by all means go Blue if you can afford it.

For heavy duty sizing, get an single stage like the Lee classic cast so you wont be abusing your production presses.

Offline Forsberg

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 04:52:03 AM »
I just got done loading a couple hundred 38 Special plinker loads and I've decided I need to speed up my production line...  Loading pistol rounds one at a time has finally broken me.  Sooo, I need to figure out if I should go to a turret or progressive stystem. What do you guys use and what do you recommend? Kinda leaning toward the Lee line, just because of price and because I really don't run that many rounds of pistol a year, but enough... I reload 38 Special, 40 S&W, and 44 Mag in pistol.  I will continue to load one at a time for rifle, at least my long range stuff. Although will probably use it for the naked AR.

I use single stage presses in a line each set up for a single operation and it works. Of course it works faster if I can get all my sons each manning a press to help. With everyone helping we can turn out quality ammunition at a very good rate. With just me not so fast. Set up time for one caliber with this system is about the same as for a progressive press. I've used a Dillon 450 with all the automatic equipment possible and it works very well, once it's set up. Setting up is the hang up, takes a long time. I'm looking at Redding's T-7. Can be set up for three rifle calibers or two handgun calibers and a powder measure. Not a bad way to go. I've used RCBS progressive presses also. They are made of cast iron so I load rifle cartridges with them and they work very well.  Might be a good idea to consider a 550 or a T-7. What ever you do buy quality so as not to have to spend your money twice.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
Dillon 550 since about 1980. I can and do change calibers in 2-3 mins. shorter if I don't have to change primer size. I don't have all the bells and whistles. Simple and it works.
Tool heads, stands, and caliber conversions are getting expensive. What isn't?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
hard to beat a 550
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:45:25 AM »
I have had a RCBS ammo aster progressive since it was first offered. I do like it. The. I ran across a great deal on a 550 Dillon. The ammo master became my primary single stage press and the Dillon my progressive. I load 38/357, 9mm, 40/10mm, 45 acp, 45 colt as well as 223 and 308 with it.

About seven years ago I ran across a good deal on a Hornady progressive setup. I set it up and before I was able to get using it a friend in need "acquired" it. SO I reset it up for him and he is having fun producing loads of ammo on it. No problems I know of.

I suggest you watch for a used name brand (not LEE) progressive like Dillon and run with it. Dillon stands behind there stuff so no worried and the service is second to none either.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.