Author Topic: pocket holsters  (Read 1308 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
pocket holsters
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:12:54 AM »
I believe a pocket holster is the best choice when carrying a gun in a pocket.  So where is the best place to find good LEATHER pocket holsters for things like NAA Magnum .22, Bersa .380, and small tip barrel autos??
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline dougk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Re: pocket holsters
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
Check with Robert at http://mecopocketholsters.com/index.htm  he made ma a Shark Skin, it shows no wear after 2 years of use in TX

Offline keith44

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »
nice I'll check em out, thanks
Life member NRA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »
If you consider non-leather pocket holsters in ballistic nylon, go to Uncle Mike's of Oregon.  I have a couple of those, for my Beretta 21A and my S&W M38.  They work very well, and for about 10 dollars each you can decide for yourself.  I have found leather holsters to be either too rigid or too bulky.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »
Scabbards?  ;)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:12:51 AM »
Sticky holsters !
For leather there are many some by local makers. look for ruogh side out leather a nice touch is a flat pcs of thin plastic on the side facing out . The leather should be thin and molded to fit. trigger should be covered . Put pictures pocket holsters in your search box all different kinds .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Gus McCrae

• Likes Biscuits
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:51:33 AM »
I don't like leather pocket holsters for a few reasons.  I learned the reasons after using leather pocket holsters for awhile.  I even made one that I was proud of, but I don't use it anymore.

Leather can reform around the gun when it get's wet (from sweat or rain).  This can lead to a pocket holster that is difficult to extract a gun from (especially a wheel gun). 

Leather can also hold in moisture (again from sweat or rain) that can cause rust in or on the gun. 

I prefer a Desantis Nemesis for those reasons.  It's good, comfortable, and will form in your pocket as needed.  It also seems to hold sweat away from the gun. 

I like leather for most other things though.  Good luck. 

Offline keith44

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »
Thanks Gus, appreciate the insight.
Life member NRA

Offline Gus McCrae

• Likes Biscuits
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »
You're welcome.  Hope it helps.  I think some leather is better treated to repel the moisture, but I'm not sure how well that works with the rough side. 

Anyways, I found out after using it awhile (meaning I had been CCing with it a bit).  I went to practice my draw stroke because someone made me think I should.  The holster has a good pocket hook to aid in removing the gun from the holster.  When I drew (unloaded of course)the gun sure didn't want to come out.  :o  Kind of embarrassing and I'm very thankful I didn't need it before then. 

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
I like leather too but like Gus not for pocket holsters and for the same reasons.   I occasionally carry a S&W M60 in a #2 Nighthawk ballistic nylon pocket holster when I wear overalls.   I much prefer IWB carry to pocket carry.  It's more comfortable for me, bulging pockets make me feel like a pack mule. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
Another vote for the Desantis Nemesis. I have one I use for my PPK. Inexpensive and high performing. The sticky rubber exterior and the smooth lined interior make for perfect extraction of the CCW.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 01:57:04 AM »
I really like my leather holster alot. It is not flemsy like the nylon ones I have tried, It is made by Backwoods leather from some treated leather. It has held its shape for over 5 + years now..I have carried it almost everyday ( could not in Ga ans Al. on vacation  ::)  ) and worn holes in it but it retains its shape and works perfect. It is made with rough side out so you can brush with a brass brush and make it like new as far as holding in the pocket. The side out is covered with a shield that makes the pocket look flat . Every night as I remove it from my pocket I draw the gun as the holster always stays in the pocket .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !