Author Topic: Is Anybody Building a Mini, Micro or Nano Cannon or Mortar?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
     We are not building one of these cheap to shoot, good looking mighty mites right now, but will be in the near future.  After re-posting a couple pics of our favorite Rodman Gun and a movie clip as well, we will turn this thread over to those of you who have some ideas as to what you would like to build in this class.

Remember, these can be made from bits of scrap steel left over from other projects or inexpensive, small diameter brass rod.  We built the BB Cal. 10" Rodman Gun featured in this thread in just 3 days with only hand tools and a 3/8" electric hand drill and a propane torch.

Think about it and then let us know what you are thinking.  Have some fun; build one!

Mike and Tracy

Relative size compared to a .45 ACP cartridge.

Looks a little used.  It is!  Elevation sockets made with a masonry nail stoned to make a socket punch?  You bet!

The Movie Clip;  Click on Image!............The tiny Rodman was a bit intimidated by the request to show his stuff before the vast assemblage of Krupp Cannon!

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

Re: Is Anybody Building a Mini, Micro or Nano Cannon or Mortar?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
before I get into building one of these I have to find a surplus electron microscope to do it right  ::) 
when I first saw the krupp photo I thought your Rodman was a mouse!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
M & T,

I've built quite a few micro cannons in the past year.  They're lots of fun to build.  I posted a few photos below.

This first model is a 25 caliber breechloader.  It fires the .250" daisey slingshot BB's.  I gave this one to my brother.  I think he's pretty well hooked on the cannon thing. [My fault  ;D ] He get a free cannon every time I visit.

Here's a WWI BB cannon with a recoiling barrel assembly.  Fun to shoot.

And these are the cannon barrel key chains with stand and front pivot barbette carriage I have listed on my website.  They are available in either 3/16" bore for the .177" BB or pellet or 1/4" bore for the Daisey slingshot ammo.  The barrel is small enough to carry on a key chain.  It recoils when fired on the barbette carriage which has a rear elevation screw for sighting targets.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »
    KABAR2,    A mouse?  Come on, he's a cute little micro and already cowed enough having to perform before this august group.  Let's be kind to him please.  Size-wise, he's a mouse.

Dom,   I see that you have been busy!  We really like all of them, but the WW1 artillery piece is most fascinating.  Is that a hydro-pneumatic recuperator underneath that coil spring?

ScaleArtillery,   Those micros are very nice indeed.  Working with wood in that size can be a bear and such that we have seen can only be described as "fuzzy" or "bulky".  Yours is neither and looks excellent.

So, any ideas for these guys or perhaps a one-off made by you?

Tracy and Mike

Offline Mike Scott

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »
I posted these in a thread last year. A toothpick handgonne and a pair of "ear" gonnes for the industrial punk look.  My firecracker cannon project is collecting dust this summer.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
Great Scott, Mike! Those are pretty cool looking "Ear Rings" and your Hand Gonne in Micro/Nano toothpick size is pretty nice looking too! All these on this posting are pretty great examples of creative "mini" art in the Cannon/Mortar field....Are there more?
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
    We agree with BoomLover.  Mike, those are the cat's meow!  I particularly love the toothpick hand "gonne".  It certaily proves that elegant objects are rarely complex.  I still have some photos used for, I believe, the original 2006 post of the Nano cannon arms race which I could not locate.  When I last found that thread, I believe mist of the pics had disappeared anyway.  :'(

I hope these 5 pics will possibly inspire someone to make one of these tiny, simple and fun artillery pieces in miniature.  I never finished the 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzer, but the tube lays in a drawer waiting for a bit more time than we have had these past few years.

Tracy

I made the Rodman BB cal cannon and the Flank Howie tube using a temporary, homemade lathe.  You don't really need a pair of calipers, but the plastic ones they sell for reloaders are $5, so get a pair.  Diameter measurements are so much easier to accomplish this way.  Add a hacksaw too and a std. propane torch.

Following a sketch, with a file remove what you don't need for the final product.  Go slowly, checking the diameters as you go. When all the dimensions have been filed take out your hardwood mini sanding blocks that you made and sand 120, 180, 240 and 320 grit for a normal finish or 400 grit for a brite one.

Don't forget the details like the slight reduction in dia. where the first reinforce meets the chase.  Chase ring too and the muzzle band.

Polished to about 240 grit, ( wet and dry paper ).

These two paper disks are called "Sight Gages" and are used in this case for positioning the automatic prick punch in exactly the right place for marking where to drill the holes for trunnion pockets and also the vent.  A glance will tell you that the upper one locates the trunnion pockets and the lower is guided by lines on the upper so you mark the vent's position precisely along a line perpendicular to the co-axis of the trunnions.

Offline GLS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
My attempt at a micro medivial cannon since I only have a micro lathe.  Barrel about 1" long .125 bore.  shoots ball bearings.
Modeled after this one.

Used a hot iron to touch off shot.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »
    GLS,    Those sure are nice.  I have always loved that shape!  Have you tried shooting arrows like the original did?  Also, how long do you have before the hot iron wire cools below ignition temp?  The shape proves Dahlgren and Rodman were not the only ones designing per the gun's pressure curve.  Those ancients were smart.

Tracy

Here is one of my favorite pics of all time.  This BB mortar is a replica of those wooden mortars built by both sides during the Civil War in 6 and 12 Pdr. sizes  I think the wood was red gum, but someone could correct me on that. Mortar by Lance and photo by CW, I think.

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »
I have made arrows forthem but have not tried to fire them yet.  You have less than ten seconds till the wire is to cool.  Like the wooden motar.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
 Oooo....

Dom - Will you be making more of these?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »
  I made the Rodman BB cal cannon and the Flank Howie tube using a temporary, homemade lathe.

Hey wait a minute.... I destinkly remember that your rules for this project stated it was to be "no lathe." You cobbled up a wooden South Bend? I'm gonna personally demand that the koopie doll you received for the Rodman is rescinded>:(

I however, didn't use a lathe, so my koopie award stands.  :P

Here's my 22 cal mini-gonne, roughed out on a belt sander...

Well, okay... Maybe I created something of a "lathe" myself, by clamping a center in a vise.  ;)

It was a fun project...

Especially while developing loads for it.  ;D

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »
    KABAR2,    A mouse?  Come on, he's a cute little micro and already cowed enough having to perform before this august group.  Let's be kind to him please.  Size-wise, he's a mouse.

Tracy and Mike

Sorry guys..... but with that scale 10ft long fuse on little Rodny it looked just like a mouse's tail...... But I'll be kind..... it's a cool little cannon...... but just remember "the mouse that roared".......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline tkthorn

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »
What do you consider mini ? I just finished one, a Naval cannon with a 7.5"  .50cal. Tube. To me its mini when compared to my 2" bore Naval that is on center cover of the 2012 calendar.
Nothing like the smell of burnt powder in the morning!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
What do you consider mini ? I just finished one, a Naval cannon with a 7.5"  .50cal. Tube. To me its mini when compared to my 2" bore Naval that is on center cover of the 2012 calendar.
yours is a monster compaired to those shown...  M&T's Rodman shown in the first photo with a .45 acp for scale.........

Offline tkthorn

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
Yeah that is mini ! Then what the h**l is micro, and could it even be fired?
Nothing like the smell of burnt powder in the morning!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Yeah that is mini ! Then what the h**l is micro, and could it even be fired?

This is a Micro.  1" diameter wheels, 1/8" bore.  I can't call it a nano anymore because someone on the internet built a 1/16" bore cannon and actually fired it!  It's a nano.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
Oooo....

Dom - Will you be making more of these?

Victor,  No, I won't be.  They are very time consuming.  Dom

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
     It has long been established that  Mini = bore of no more than 1/2" -or- chamber dia. of 3/8" or less.

A long time ago, Terry C.  came up with some reasonable size classes and names for them.  I never saw any disagreement with his list which follows:

Micro = bore of no more than firecracker caliber (.312") -or- chamber dia. of 1/4" or less

Nano = bore of no more than BB caliber (.177") -or- chamber dia. of 3/16" or less

Pico = bore of no more than 1/8" dia. -or- chamber dia. of 1/8" or less

These are simply general guidelines to help get these mighty mights sorted out.  They are not rules; do not consider them as such. 

Come on Victor, it's not really fair to call that collection of stuff, bungee corded together, a lathe.  Besides the only "turning" it is capable of doing is revolving the work.  Do you see any lathe tools, cutters?  Come on, the tail stock is a dead center made from a piece of 3/8" all-thread with a point filed on one end and the other jammed into a chunk of plywood.  Do you see a saddle, a tool post, a cross-slide or a gear change lever anywhere? 

These 3 pics are shown to see how easily you can get started on your own mini, micro, nano or pico cannon or mortar!  Do it; have some fun!!

Tracy

The Low carbon steel spinning device.

A crude non-lathe, a simple sketch, a small piece of low carbon, black marker coated, steel rod and a few measured scribe marks is all you need to get started.  Oh, and a file, too.

I used a 3/4" wide, cross-cut mill bastard file at first for all the rough stock removal, then smaller files with finer teeth, single-cut types.

Offline Captn Barbossa

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
Hello Boomlover and Seacoast,
[/size]
[/size]I just found the pic's of one of the mortars I built. Test fired it on the 4th of July. The boom was very impressive... Very Loud :o  [/size]The last shot of the day was the best. The crack/boom sent it back well over a foot. Smoke cloud took a but to clear. It sounded close to the boom of my 2" up till I did the last shot from it. We are still tryin to get the ringing out of the ears. It rattled our chest. Last round of the 2" was heard loud and clear over a mile away. Knocked pictures off a few walls at almost a quarter mile and car alarms had a concert going off. ;D

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »
This was I think the second cannon I made. It's made from a piece of 1/2" brass rod I scavenged from my only college shop class. I didn't have any plans, I just used pictures I found on the internet. The bore is 7/32" in diameter, 1-3/8" deep. This was before I bought my lathe, so I chucked the barrel in a drill press and used files and sand paper to shape the outside. The trunnions are JB Welded and screwed through into the bore. Then I came back with the drill bit and cut them off smooth on the inside.

Here's a photo of the little known wrought iron Dahlgren mountain howitzer carriage.

I started on a proper carriage, but I got stuck at the wheels and gave up. Maybe someday I'll get back to it and cut them out of plywood with a scroll saw. The cap squares were made from an annealed rake tine and drilled for a small nail.

Here she is blasting the enemy with common shell!

Dom, I love that Armstrong-esque breechloader, and especially the WW1 field gun! You have a knack for using off the shelf parts and turning them into something really cool!

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
We have been making micro cannon just about forever....GBO member Rays89 started harrasing me
years ago into building small cannon. In 05, I said yes in a weak moment and our firecracker cannon and Rays89s famous "Backyard Cannon Fun" was born. Ray designed this and I was along for the ride. We made thousands of these little guys. Great fun and addicted many to the firing of black powder. Many of our original customers are still coming back for more, larger 'Golden Guns'. Rays89 thread "Backyard Cannon Fun" held the record for the most play for several years. I think that it has over 35,000 views today, maybe number four....absolutely remarkable to me.

We think that now may be the time to 'enhance' the design of the barrel and carriage in time for Christmas. Of course, we will continue to produce the lower cost, entry level package, loved by many.

Here are a few of the old posts for those interested.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=11876;area=showposts;start=240
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,66937.0.html
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,66937.0.html
Anyone think that it would be a good idea to start stalking Rays89 to get some help with the upgrade?

Michael
                                     Home of the Golden Gun

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
Austin,

Ray loves the 'buy and sell'. He really is the master.....and as for you, I have read your posts since that bad day you had years ago....actually, our youngest son was kidnapped almost 20 years ago. It turned out ok, but there were some anxious moments.

I have some brass rod ends.....what dia. and length do you need?

Michael
                                  Home of the Golden Gun

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:02 AM »
Austin, that is a really nice looking gun! Good Job!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
If you are turning those 8 gauge shells from solid, are you annealing them after you finish?  Machining brass imparts stress to the product which will cause case splits after only a few firings.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »
Austin,

Let me know how much 1.125 rod and I will ship tomorrow. We usually have stock from 1/8 dia to 4.5' dia. Although specific sizes change, we use it for the Industrial side....brass striking tools, some 'multi component', silverbrazed valves and other parts we turn.

Michael
                                         Home of the Golden Gun

Offline rludwig

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »
This is a picture of the "Garrison Carriage and Firecracker Cannon" I made for a friend's 90Th birthday. It was his first blackpowder item so I wanted to start him out with something that he would feel comfortable is firing. It is sized to launch "Thunder bombs" which are somewhat difficult to obtain in Pennsylvania. It also launches Jumping Jacks although these are more impressive after dark.
The bore is 0.285. The finish on the steel was done by first rusting the surface with acid vapors, then painting with rust converting primer to create a black wrought Iron look.

The Larger container contains FFFF black powder and the smaller container 1.5 inch lengths of 1/16" fuse. The powder measure is a .22 long rifle casing.

Most of the wood came from scrap pallets which are a convenient source of 1/2" thick white oak stock.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
     Schazaam!  RLudwig,  that micro cannon and especially the Front Pintle Barbette Carriage you built is gorgeous!!  The gentleman you mentioned is mighty lucky to have a friend like you. 

Tracy

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
I detect another obsession coming on..........
Nice stuff, guys!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974