Author Topic: Bedside Companion  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Bedside Companion
« on: July 29, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
My son spoils me. :) Today he surprised me by putting this stock set on my Mossberg .20 gauge pump for me. Realy made my day and it now lives beside my bed. :) I soon plan on adding a tac light and laser sight.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Bedside Companion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
I've never fired a shotgun without a butt stock. Honestly I don't think I want to. That is a trend or maybe a fad I just can't understand.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
It's handy in a home defense weapon because it's much more maneuverable in tight spaces. I chose the .20 gauge because, while still having good knock down power, it's much less recoil than a 12 gauge. I have shot a 12 though, my son has one, and it's still manageable. I would  compare the recoil to less than a .44 mag. With a laser sight on it I won't have to expose my head and upper body to an assailent, such as  I'd have to when shouldering a weapon.

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
     I usually just lay a colt stainless combat comander with CT grips down on the nightstand, If needed it is easier to walk awound with in the dark than any long gun.  Jim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »
I actually like the idea of a 20 gauge for home defense. It has plenty of power and an adequate selection of home defense ammo available. The reduced recoil appeals to me. I keep thinking of setting one up specifically for the task but haven't done so yet.

While mine doesn't yet I believe a home defense shotgun should wear a good really bright light and maybe also a laser. If the light is bright enough it can be used not only to see where you are moving around a dark house but also to blind any bad guy you shine in the eyes with it. Center of beam should also be about center of pattern to aid in quick target acquisition.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:28:51 AM »
I also like the 20GA. More so than the 12.  I have fired a Winchester Defender 20ga with a pistol grip, no butt stock recently.  My cousin asked that I try it and see what I think.  I think that it needs a butt stock.  Honestly...if you hold it up to your eye like a pistol, you're asking to get smacked....experience talking here.  If you hold by your hip...good luck in hitting your target......laser/light or not.

FWIW...I'm not at all convinced that a pistol grip alone helps the effectiveness of the arm.....try it, see what you think.  What's that famous saying???  Your milage may vary.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:03:57 AM »
Good kid you have there Spirithawk.   I'm with GB when it comes to shotguns less buttstocks.   I lean more toward  6 position AR style stocks and short slug barrels for HD like the one below.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »
Nope, it's not meant to be fired at eye level, but equiped with a laser sight it's quite accurate fired from hip level. At least at normal defense ranges I have no trouble at all nailing targets. Like anything, it just takes a bit of practice. :)
jhm, the universal sound of a round being chambered in a pump shotgun gets the point across asap!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
I have had a 12 ga 870 with pistol grip for 30 years . Like any weapon pratice will build confidence and ability with it. We would go out and shoot clay targets with it using light target loads or cheap dove loads. I find with buck shot it is controlable and not so bad to shoot ( being lighter I doubt your 20 will kick much less than a similar 12 with like loads). If speed is needed try placing the bottom of the pistol grip where your leg and body meet where it bends ,lay the gun over to the side a bit maybe 45 degrees and it will fit right in , I find this adds to control and faster shots on target can be taken.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »
As far as a handgun vrs. a shotgun for defense I'll put it like this. Ever see a target hit by .00 Buck? looks like someone fired a whole mag of 9mm's into it. Now THAT'S stopping power! Sure made a believer outta me. ;) More than one assailent? Pull a pistol you may have problems. With a shotgun not so much so. It's been a favorite of crowd control practicly since it's invention. No I can't carry it everywhere, but for home defense and for places I can carry it, you can bet it's my weapon of choice and you all know how I love my PF-9. :)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »
use the 9 to fight your way to a fight stopper !  ;)

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »
For 32 years of police service, I was taught not to  keep a firearm by my bed.  The reasoning was that a person just awakening may not be awake enough to make a correct life/death decision.  Now retired, I think that reasoning may be flawed.  Still, you can't rid your brain of something beat into it for that many years.  I'm now of the opinion that a bedside firearm ought to be loaded, but without a round chambered.  If a shotgun, fill the magazine but don't rack a shell into the chamber.  If an auto pistol, same thing.  If a revolver . . . well, I think it best not to have a revolver as your bedside gun, because all you have to do is grab it and start shooting, and hopefully it won't be at someone you know and love who has made too much noise in the middle of the night.
My closest gun at night is in fact a revolver, a .44 Special, but I must actually get out of bed to get at it.  I suppose we're all different in our mindset about such things, and we're all different in how long it takes to go from a dead sleep to full alert.  I knew officers who would be called out on an emergency by the dispatcher late at night and they'd have to hang up and call back because they weren't awake enough to comprehend the message.  Something to think about.
More to the topic posted, Spirithawk, that's a really nice defense weapon

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »
To each their own but consider this in a home invasion the average time from breakin to bed room is less than 50 seconds . So you are asleep , you wake to the door being broken in , you have to wake , figure out what's happening then arm yourself with light and weapon. Any noise you make will draw bad guys to you. In reality you start behind the 8 ball and have to play catch up. Worst case I want my gun in the night stand drawer .Better closer if possible like standing next to bed. I do agree about unloaded chamber unless you expect trouble . With a pump gun just leave chamber empty and safety off . In a crisis pull trigger and pump to load . You will either sent them running or draw fire.  ;D

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
My son spoils me. :) Today he surprised me by putting this stock set on my Mossberg .20 gauge pump for me. Realy made my day and it now lives beside my bed. :) I soon plan on adding a tac light and laser sight.

I never thought of using a 20 ga for home defense but I am planning to look into it.  We use the 20 ga for snake control.

Doug

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:48 AM »
I have a 870 20 ga youth/ladies model the wife can use. It is as handy as a 30 carbine .

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 02:14:50 AM »
Choices are subjective---BUT---haveing ANY gun handy at night is a good thing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »
first rule of a gun fight is have a gun  ;)  somebody smart figured it out for the rest of us  ;D

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »
If you wonder about a 20 gauges effectiveness I'll put it like this.   Using 20 Gauge Winchester #3 Buck, with 20 pellets  At 16 foot the pellets went through a denim jacket and penetrated 4 jugs of water. That's the average distance of accross a room and the equivalent of penetrating 12 inches of flesh.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:58:47 AM »
just  me but i don't like pistol grip/no stock shot guns

they cannot be shot or even pointed one handed
try to open a door  and be ready  with  both and  see whats better
full stock  leans up in the corner better

with a but stock  you can get leverage placing the but under you elbow

get a youth stock if space is at a premium

the pistol grip might be nice as a car gun for road ragers
would also be a great pack pack gun

those pistol grips  do  look evil and are fun to play with
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 04:15:32 AM »
12, 20, 16, 28, .410, or 10 or even an old 8 ga All can be used for home defense a light mounted and it's ready for action. 

I have never had the need to pull the trigger on a shotgun in a defensive situation, the sound of a pump gun being racked into battery in the darkness has scared off the one opportunity
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »
If you have upper arm strength you can fire the gun one handed . BBL down it sits nice in a corner . The door thing can be done but not as easy .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »
Well, I now have it set up. Tac light, laser sight  and loaded with 20 pellet #3 Buck. :)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 05:00:36 AM »
Well, I now have it set up. Tac light, laser sight  and loaded with 20 pellet #3 Buck. :)

Now that's what I call a defensive weapon!   ;D   Always did love the idea of a handfull of #4 buck!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »
Had a pistol grip on an 870 Wingmaster for a few years. It was real handy in and out of the patrol car, but awkward to shoot well at more than across the room distances. A shortened stock or a youth model is just as handy in close quarters and a LOT easier to shoot well. As to gauge choice, if I had a 20ga I'd be ok with it. If I were buying a shotty for home defense, I'd go with the 12ga due to greater versatility and ammo choices. For home defense, the extra pound of the 12 over the 20 is insignificant. IMO the recoil difference is insignificant as well.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jimster

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
I'm not a fan for a 12 ga. with a pistol grip, messed around with one for a while, hated it. Not sure how I'd like a 20 ga. with a pistol grip, never tried it. I think I have to have a butt stock on a shotgun, I think you could still have the option to shoot without it up against your shoulder anyway. With a pistol grip I have to admit, they are handy little things, but I sure hated shooting it that way.  I would be open to a collapsible/adjustable butt stock. 

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
Thanks Diganali. some might argue with a handgun but not many will against a shotgun. At least not twice! ;)

My son has a collapsible stock on his pump 12 gauge. I like it well enough but it's next to impossible to find one to fit a 20 gauge. I like the set up I now have and find it very handy. If I do tire of it I have a synthetic stock I can easily slap on it. Not only will this be kept in my bedroom but it will go with me on my ATV when patroling mine and my neighbor's property for tresspassers. My neighbor is building a house and not always around. As a result he had quite a  bit of building materials and tools stolen. I worked out a deal where I'm  caretaker of his property in exchange for hunting rights. Since then I've caught two differant people stealing stuff and ran off more than a few tresspassers. The shotgun will be a nice addition to my PF-9. :)

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
I have to disagree with those who say accuracy is limited with a pistol grip shotgun.  Shortly after putting an 18 inch riot barrel and pistol grip on my 12 gauge 870, I was skipping a coke can across the ground from the hip with almost no practice.  A few years later in camp, I was shooting clay pigeons from a thrower and it wasn't just me; in almost no time almost everyone there was hitting 60% or better.  Shootall has it right.

The main reason I outfitted myself with this arm back in the 80s was to protect my family while travelling.  I figured it handled reasonably well inside a pickup, and would be less likely to draw the ire of law enforcement than a hand gun.  At the time loaded hand guns were illegal in a vehicle but loaded long guns were not.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 01:22:25 AM »
that's a purdy gun !

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »
Thanks!  The other reason that was my defense gun back in those days is I didn't have a lot of money.  I already had an 870 and I ran across the riot barrel new in a local gun shop for $75.  I rough shaped the pistol grip on the belt sander at work using a Pachmeyer grip for a basic pattern and did the rest of the finishing by hand every evening while me and the family were watching TV.  The sling was added in the last few years and the 870 pictured is actually a different one from those days, but the grip and barrel are the same ones I've always had.

I have only shot bird shot in it.  If I ever have to touch off the 3" magnum 00 buck I keep in it for defense, I may be as surprised as the gobblin!  With bird shot it is very managable though.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »
It would also be good with low recoil 23/3 buck shot . I have one with the Pachmeyer grip and forearm. It is old now and the forearm is getting spongy from age . I have shot alot of buck in it with no ill effect.