Author Topic: Best .38 bullet for target/match?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Best .38 bullet for target/match?
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »
Can I get some opinions about the best .38 special bullet for standard pressure loads for target/match use?

This will be used in a short barrel revolver, Mod. 36. Preferably Unique or 231 powder.

Thanks!

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Best .38 bullet for target/match?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:07:02 AM »
For target work, there isn't much better than the classic 148 gr. wadcutter and 3.0 grains of Bullseye. You can find several loads in your manual for different powders used with the wadcutter. For general shooting/fun I often use a 158 gr. SWC with some Bullseye, W231, or Unique, you can load 'em mild to wild. I personally like shooting lead bullets in my revolvers and I cast several sizes to feed my guns.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:23 AM »
I can't even venture a guess at the pounds of bullseye powder I have burned under a full wad cutter from a S&W 52 & 1911 in 38 special shooting bullseye for the past thirty years...

I will forever be satisfied with a splash if bullseye and a full wad cutter bullet!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
I can't even venture a guess at the pounds of bullseye powder I have burned under a full wad cutter from a S&W 52 & 1911 in 38 special shooting bullseye for the past thirty years...

I will forever be satisfied with a splash if bullseye and a full wad cutter bullet!

CW

+1

I use 3.0 grains of Bullseye and a 148 Grain HBWC
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »
You may find a 158gr SWC will shoot to your sight's point of aim best.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Forsberg

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
All good advice. The best load is what your gun likes to shoot. Set an accuracy goal and when you get there load, shoot and enjoy.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
I load for a ton of 38 Specials and they all have one load that every one of the pistols, including a Smith 36, think they are full blown target pistols. Try the Rainier 148gr double end plated wadcutter over 3.5grs 231. Extremely good load, low recoil, and super accurate. Velocity by the book is about 900'ps.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050153227/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-148-grain-plated-double-ended-wadcutter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
I have shot in excess of 1,000 rounds of 38special 158 grain SWC a day, many, many, times. It was my job for 20 years to instruct. I haven't seen many folks over the years that shoot any closer than that round was capable of shooting in the accuracy dept.
I got away from bullseye after seeing numerous 38 special and K-frame 357 magnums with half the cylinder gone. Is bullseye a good powder? You bet it is, but the older bullseye was easy to double charge in a progressive. I don't know about the modern version. I switched to Unique years ago.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
The 148 grn HBWC is a proven, accurate bullet.  But, if your target shooting includes timed reloads, you might want to consider a semi-wadcutter style bullet as it will chamber quicker and easier when using speed loaders, and still cut a neat, round hole in the paper target.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »
158 grain SWC over 3.4 grains of IMR PB works like a champ in my Ruger LCR. Better accuracy than even Bullseye which is also a great performer. Like Dee I ended up getting away from Bullseye despite its excellent performance after double charging a 45 LC case. Luckily I was shooting a 10" Contender so nothing happened other than scaring the crap out of me.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:13:33 PM »
158 grain SWC over 3.4 grains of IMR PB works like a champ in my Ruger LCR. Better accuracy than even Bullseye which is also a great performer. Like Dee I ended up getting away from Bullseye despite its excellent performance after double charging a 45 LC case. Luckily I was shooting a 10" Contender so nothing happened other than scaring the crap out of me.

I bet thats better than a large cup of java to wake you up!!  :o :o

PB is a powder thats all but dissapeared from mention. I also still use it for my 32-20 plinker loads. A splash and my cast 115 shoots under 1000fps and accurate as all get out. Awesome small game killer ZERO blood shot meat and instant kills.

TT,
 Opologies, you mentioned wanting to use 231 or Unique. Both good choices, esp with lead loads if thats where your going. I did switch or 231 for my 45 ACP loads from bullseye. It shoots very well and cleaner was than bullseye.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
I like bullseye in the 38. It aa2 and vit 310 have been my go to powders for years in the 38s. Im not as big of a fan of wadcutters as the rest though. To be honest ive allways found more accurate bullets in my 38s then wadcutters. That and accuracy gets pretty pethetic out past 50 yards. Look at the 105 lee swc. its allways outshot the wadcutters in my guns. Its lighter so less recoil and shoots better past 50 yards. Another real good bullet is the lee 150 round flat. that one has shot well and is a better game taking bullet then the 105 is. to be honest i havent even bothered to cast a wad cutter in the last 10 years or so.
blue lives matter

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 03:04:22 AM »
Fine advice gentlemen, much appreciated.  I will pick up some WC 148's and continue with the 158 SWC's I have and powders on hand.  If these don't impress, I'll try Bullseye and weigh each charge manually.

In any case I'm walking uphill, pushing the little 1-7/8 inch Mod. 36 like a target revolver.  But that is good fun and a challenge.  Just love the J frames...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:03:50 AM »
I like bullseye in the 38. It aa2 and vit 310 have been my go to powders for years in the 38s. Im not as big of a fan of wadcutters as the rest though. To be honest ive allways found more accurate bullets in my 38s then wadcutters. That and accuracy gets pretty pethetic out past 50 yards. Look at the 105 lee swc. its allways outshot the wadcutters in my guns. Its lighter so less recoil and shoots better past 50 yards. Another real good bullet is the lee 150 round flat. that one has shot well and is a better game taking bullet then the 105 is. to be honest i havent even bothered to cast a wad cutter in the last 10 years or so.

You found the limits Lloyd! That's correct 50 yards or so is about all you will find accuracy. BUT that's what they are designed for. 25&50 yards bullseye compatitions.  The hollow base is a bit better than a bevel base in this reguard.  I shoot both the 143 and 148 wadcutters.

I totally forgot about AA#2!!! I also have used this & it works very well!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
I bet thats better than a large cup of java to wake you up!!  :o :o

You can say that again! Luckily nothing happened besides a bruised ego but it was an excellent lesson in reloading safety. I became a big fan of Trail Boss after that experience.

PB is a powder thats all but dissapeared from mention. I also still use it for my 32-20 plinker loads. A splash and my cast 115 shoots under 1000fps and accurate as all get out. Awesome small game killer ZERO blood shot meat and instant kills.

PB is a great powder to reload 38 with, it's my favorite for 38 special and also my favorite for 16 gauge. I'm not sure why it doesn't get used more. I also like PB in 32 H&R Magnum. I unfortunately don't have a 32-20 at the moment to try it in. Unique works good for me in 38 Special and 16 gauge also but not as good as PB. 45 Colt on the other hand is where Unique is right at home.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »
148 gr HBWC over Unique works for me.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:29 PM »
I guess my thoughts go toward versitility. Seems like every time im out shooting a handgun I ended up at least throwing a couple at rocks out at long range. I can load a swc or round flat or lfn for the same price. thats just as accuarate at short range and still be able to actually hit something at a 100 yards. Another thing that got me away from wad cutters is ppc shooting or other shooting sports where a fast reload helps. Wad cutters and speed loaders just dont work like round flats do.

You found the limits Lloyd! That's correct 50 yards or so is about all you will find accuracy. BUT that's what they are designed for. 25&50 yards bullseye compatitions.  The hollow base is a bit better than a bevel base in this reguard.  I shoot both the 143 and 148 wadcutters.

I totally forgot about AA#2!!! I also have used this & it works very well!!!

CW
blue lives matter

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 04:25:53 AM »
In the past I shot a lot of 148gr wadcutter's with 2 1/2 grs Bullseye. Never saw a 38 that wouldn't shoot that load. Makes a great small game bullet too. I've still got a 148 gr wadcutter mould, don't recall who makes it any more but doesn't throw that good of bullet's. Got it pretty cheap second hand. My bullet of choice now is a 150gr SWC and 3.8 grs Red dot. I have a lot of Red Dot!
I still might have a 150gr RN mould around somewhere but don't like that bullet at all. Best of the bullet's was always that 148gr WC and 2 1/2 gr Bullseye. Yep, easy to throw a double charge, pay attention to what your doing.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]