Author Topic: 22 Conversion Kit for an AR  (Read 863 times)

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
22 Conversion Kit for an AR
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
I am curious what is the best bang for your buck out of the crazy number of 22 conversion kits on the market?  I have never owned one but with the cost of ammo and the amount I shoot, 22's are looking pretty good.  Thanks.
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 22 Conversion Kit for an AR
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
I've had absolutely NO problems with my 2 CMMG kits.  You can find the blued version for close to $150 and the stainless in the $175 range.

I bought one for each of my 3 brothers too, and they shoot more 22 than 5.56 now.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:13:24 AM »
I have had great luck with my cmmg kit, I have a reduced JP spring kit (yellow) in my lower and I can shoot the cci 22 quiets. Sounds like I'm shooting a suppressor. If you look on the Primary Arms website they usually have sales on the cmmg kits and you can get the stainless ones for $119.

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Simplicity, I went on the primary as website and was quite impressed with there prices. They will not ship the conversion kit to my state(NY).  Thanks to all of our stupid laws.
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:19:48 PM »
I guess my take on it is for around the same price you can buy a smith ar22. Granted its not a real ar but it operates and looks just like one. Mine runs flawlusly with bulk blazer and is very accurate. Guess too the caliber swaping on guns never really appealed to me. If i want to swap calibers on an ar i buy a new ar. Probalby the reason i never got all attached to my contenders. Just couldnt see spending 300 bucks on a barrel when i could darned near buy a new gun for the same price.
blue lives matter

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:24 AM »
I have the CMMG drop in kit and like it.  Not as accurate as a dedicated 22lr upper, but cheap and easy to drop into the range bag.

I have heard good things aout the Chiappa 22lr uppers.  Never handled one, but I hear they are good and they are short money.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
I have a spikes tactical. I think they are all the same. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The Air Force initially had the conversions made up. Then Ceiner(bad company) started making them 20 years or so later. Now several brands make them. The one I have is identical to a Ceiner or CMMG. I just wanted a ss one so I could polish the rails and the part that looks like the 556 case. Now CMMG makes a ss one. When I bought mine they were only coated in black or satin silver. I didn't want to polish paint so I went with ss.
The dedicated 22lr that I have seen have the same conversion as the one I have. I think some of them have a .223 barrel(probably faster twist as well) instead of .224. From what I've read there really isn't a difference in the accuracy between a dedicated or conversion ar. The non-AR, look alike rifles are supposed to be a little more accurate. I don't have one, so don't know?
Molon labe

Offline nfafan

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
I have an "M261" kit and use it with great fun in my Oly and Colts.

Had to fluff and buff it a bit and now it runs with any bulk-pack ammo I can buy at wallymart. The hi-cap mags (Black Dog Machine) are finicky and cant be loaded to the full 25 rounds...

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
A lot of the kits don't tell you in the instructions that you need to trim the spring to get proper feeding. Mine came with 2 springs. You polish the rails and contact points of the bolt. Polish the chamber adapter so it doesn't want to hang up in the chamber after a brick or two of ammo. And shoot 3 or 4 mags for the parts to wear together. After that you start trimming the spring if it is still hanging up a round every now and then. I tuned mine to subsonics. Now it will fire anything I put through it.
Molon labe