Author Topic: Advise on 308 AR?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Advise on 308 AR?
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
Well guys there used to be a lot of negatives on the big AR10 style platform. What I'm looking for is a heads up in the right direction for one that is accurate and reliable. My main purpose for it is longer range target. So what's out there? What do you like? And Why? Just looking for a primer to get me informed enough to start forming an opinion on what would be the best for the money.
Thanks
Molon labe

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Advise on 308 AR?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »
ive got a 16 inch dpms ar10. Its  been a great gun. One of the most accurate rifles i own. Only downside to it is its a bit heavy to haul around the whitetail woods.
blue lives matter

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »
I have a DPMS as well, it started out as a 7.62 Oracle. Now its pretty much a SASS carbine. With good ammo it will hold .7moa sometimes better. Theere are basically three styles of AR10's out there the SR25 platform IDPMS, Remington, Knights arm. M110 (army sniper rifle) Mk11 (marine sniper rifle). The Armelite and the rock river. The SR25 platform uses the same trigger group as a ar15and alot of the same parts. The Armelite uses alot of it's own parts and it's own prepiatary mag. The Rock River uses FAL mags. The SR25 uses the most common mags (magpul 7.62 P-Mag) and has the most upgrades  or products of all the AR10 variants.  Hopefully this helps.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:52:31 AM »
Thanks so far guys. I wasn't aware that there was a difference. I'm glad that was pointed out. Right now I'm leaning towards a kit. Will have to do a lot more reading but think I want to go with a dpms style because they have readily available magpul pmags for it. I think the lower I found was called a mega tech that had a lot of good things said about it. To many irons in the fire now so thought it would be better to get some input from you fellows for when I decide to get or build one instead of just jumping into it later.
Thanks
Molon labe