Author Topic: Not happy with Bushnell right now  (Read 1522 times)

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
Not happy with Bushnell right now
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
My brand new Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 AO scope is on its second trip back for repair because it won't hold zero.
Needless to say it wasn't repaired the first time. Just about does it for me with anything with the Bushnell brand.

Not a great day at the range  >:( 
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Not happy with Bushnell right now
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
I put a one inch Banner on a .22 about 15 years ago.  Would not gather any light.  Was suppose to be my squirrel gun but the scope was very disappointing.  Only Bushnell I have ever owned.  I'm a Leupold kind of guy myself.

Offline josiah712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
I gave up on them years ago.  When it comes to cheap scopes, I've seldom had a bad Tasco, and never had a good Bushnell.
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »
I gave up on them years ago.  When it comes to cheap scopes, I've seldom had a bad Tasco, and never had a good Bushnell.
Funny you mention the Tasco, while my Bushnell was gone for repair the first time, I picked up a Tasco Varmint in 2.5-10X42 AO mil dot to use in the meantime.
It is much brighter and clearer than the Banner and it holds zero. It would just stay on the rifle, but I need the extra power of the Banner for 200 yd shots (6-18X50). This is not mounted on a heavy recoiling rifle (.223).
Another funny thing is that Tasco is owned by Bushnell. Well, maybe not so funny  :-\
I have another Banner (6-24X50 AO mil dot) that has not been a problem.
When I called Bushnell this time, I suggested that the scope was a plain "Lemon" and would like a new scope, we shall see  ::)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »
after the last episode with there costomer service dept. I doubt if id buy another. I send back a 4200 that wouldnt hold zero and they said it was bent and it was my fault. that scope was new and did it from the time it was mounted. If it was bent it came that way. they returned it to me unfixed and I sure couldnt see where it was bent. Finaly someone on here came up with the deal that bushnell will refund you for a scope in the first year that you arent happy with for any reason. I sent it back with a copy of that gurarntee and they did give me my money back. thing that made me mad was it was pretty obvoius i wasnt happy with it. Why didnt they just refund me in the first place and save me from shipping it twice. They sure didnt come out on there own and offer to give me my money back.
blue lives matter

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:31 AM »
Scout,

I'm sorry to hear that Tasco is now owned by Bushnell; I hope none of that Bushnell excellence starts rubbing off on them.

Maybe you could just get a full refund on the Bushnell.  The Tasco 6-24 is on sale right now at Natchez for only seventy bucks.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TAVAR624X42M&src=tpMfg
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »
Only Bushnell I had problems with was a Dawn to Dusk I had on my Encore sitting on a 20 inch 500 S&W mag barrel. It shook the crosshairs out of it. I replaced it with a 3200 Elite and haven't had a problem since. 500 barrel is gone now but the scope still sits on my 20 inch 45 LC barrel. I know there are good scopes and there are great scopes. One of my "great" scopes, a Leupold fixed 6 power fogged up on me at the beginning of deer season years ago. While Leupold did repair the scope I had to buy another scope, a Tasco World Class, for the season to get by on until they returned it. The old Tascos were some great scopes. Especially the World Class pistol scopes. Never could tear one of those up. Best in-expensive scope I've found these days is the CenterPoint that I believe is made by Crossman. About $80.00 will buy their top of the line at Walmart.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 05:29:59 AM »
Why didn't they just refund me in the first place and save me from shipping it twice. They sure didn't come out on there own and offer to give me my money back.

I know I've said this before, but I have said I'll never buy another Bushnell.  I sent a spotting scope back to them, along with a check for $20 to cover return shipping as per their requirement.  They contacted me with a cost to repair; the damage was totally my fault.

The price they quoted me for repair was darn near what I paid for the scope in the first place!  When I told the lady that she said "well I doubt that."  With the 2 shipping fees the total would have been more then if I just bought a new one of the same model.  So I bought a new scope.  But it wasn't a Bushnell!   :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »
Seems to be the trend in optics from some makers for years now.   Supposedly "new and improved", not as good as they once were from that maker.   Why I mostly had and bought "old" models for all my scopes, and I had dozens of them for both rifle and handgun.

Last " brand new" Bushnell I bought was a 4-12 for a new Ruger 77R 270Win I bought in the mid 70's for deer/elk hunting.   Great scope for soemthing like $75 at the time, killed a lot of deer, a few elk with it at longish western ranges.   It stayed on that rifle until just a couple of years ago when I pulled it off and sold it, mainly since the rifle hasn't been shot for something like 25 years since I stopped hunting big game and it was a sure bet I'd never shoot it again.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Well were off to a good start, only took two phone calls and 3 days for them to E-mail a prepaid shipping label to me.

My guess is the leaves will be falling before I get it back and it still won't be worth a crap. Not very optimistic at this point.
Maybe the second time they have to pay to send it back they will give me a new one, not that I will be any further ahead.  :-\

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
I've sent probably 6 Bushnell scopes back for repair.  Never got the same scope back.  They always sent back an upgrade, either Bosch and Lomb or a higher grade Bushnell.  I've been very happy with them over the years.

Bushnell has owned Tasco for years.  I'm thinking about 15 years now.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
I've sent probably 6 Bushnell scopes back for repair.  Never got the same scope back.  They always sent back an upgrade, either Bosch and Lomb or a higher grade Bushnell.  I've been very happy with them over the years.

Bushnell has owned Tasco for years.  I'm thinking about 15 years now.
I wish they would send me an upgrade or a new scope, but the same scope got returned last time( it was inconspicuously marked).
I picked up a new 2.5-10X42 AO Mil Dot Tasco for $50.00 to use while the Banner was being repaired. I must say it is much clearer and brighter than the Banner and it holds zero. Unfortunately it lacks the power (18X) of the Banner.
This .223 started out as a play gun project, but quickly realized it was a tack driver and the optics were not keeping up with the potential accuracy of the gun.
I guess I will just have to invest in a quality scope to enjoy the full potential of this rifle.  Not knowing whether the rifle was a shooter or not, I didn't want to invest a large amount of money in a scope.
Will have to wait and see what they send back this time.  ::)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
Not happy with Bushnell right now
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 05:22:07 AM »
I have a lot of Bushnell scopes but I draw the line at the Elite 4200 series.  I came to realization a few years ago that money spent on a quality optic is worth it and if you shop around you can get very good scopes for very reasonable money.  Cheap is cheap regardless of the badge on it.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
I have had two bad run ins with Bushnell. the first one was an older Bushnell that was on my dad's .243 I inherited.  I could not conisistently hit anything with it, and then by accident saw the crosshairs spinning it. I threw the scope in the trash.  Next one was a Bushnell 4-12x40 Elite 3200. I bought it, mounted the scope and went to bore sight it. When I went to adjust the crosshair to the right, it would not move as it was already maxed out on adjustment. Actually it did move once, and locked up. Sent the scope back with about a 2 month turn around, but no more problems.  Now I have a Simmons in for adjustment. Since they both go the same place, I'll see how long it takes to repair.  I left a nice little letter describing the problem (power ring is broken), telling them how cheap their crap is. The power ring was spot glued. Heck, I shot the rifle to sight in and carried it hunting one time for a coyote hunt before we moved.

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
Well the scope is back, for the second time. After resighting it has held zero for over 25 rounds.
Will have to see if it holds zero after another 100 rounds or so.
Am I optimistic ?  not really   :-\

Thomas Jefferson