Author Topic: REP King proposes English as official language, dumcrap answers in spanish.  (Read 479 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
King touts English-only bill at hearing, Dem rep mocks by delivering remarks in Spanish  Published August 02, 2012
FoxNews.com     
  •    Shown here is Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King. (AP)
  Rep. Steve King's controversial bill to make English the official language in the U.S. got a full airing on Capitol Hill on Thursday, as supporters used a hearing to tout claims such a law would bring the country together and critics roundly mocked the proposal.
One Democrat, Michigan Rep. John Conyers, delivered his opening remarks in strained Spanish.
Republicans, though, claimed the bill should be taken more seriously and that passing it would compel the country and its immigrants to "embrace a common language once again" and be stronger for it.
The bill was introduced last year by King, an Iowa Republican known for taking controversial stands on immigration and other issues, and has been kept in committee since then. It has attracted 122 co-sponsors, and King on Thursday used his appearance before a House Judiciary subcommittee to tout the proposal.
"A common language is the most powerful unifying force known throughout history, throughout all humanity and all time," he said. "If (people) can't communicate, they're bound to separate."
King also panned Conyers' "interesting" Spanish-language introduction, saying it only served to prove his point, since "we still stopped listening" to him.
King's proposal would, among other things, require official government functions including naturalization ceremonies to be conducted in English; allow English-only requirements at offices; and call for a rule requiring naturalization candidates to be able to read and understand English versions of the Declaration on Independence and other key U.S. government documents.
Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., claimed such a law would block government employees from effectively communicating with the public and suggested it would be unconstitutional.
"These proposals divide us by sending a clear message that no one is welcome here until and unless they are fluent in English," he said.
But Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., said the bill could address a long-running decline in the percentage of immigrants fluent in English, which he said is now at 68 percent.
The bill did not receive a committee vote Thursday, though, and it appears unlikely it will be considered before the November election, given Congress' tight schedule and long list of other legislative challenges.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/02/king-touts-english-only-bill-at-hearing-dem-rep-mocks-by-delivering-remarks-in/#ixzz22RgSwyMo
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
they are  all a joke

Offline magooch

Nobody understands anything that comes out of Conyer's face anyway--no matter which lagnuage he uses.
Swingem

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
English should be the official language of the US Government.  All publications should be printed in English.     The people who require that everything be disseminated in languages other than English are probably an illegal criminal invader.   I know for a fact that in Mexico the people will not make efforts to speak to a gringo in English.   However, to the left, that belief must make me a racist.

Welcome to America, now speak English......

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline guzzijohn

Quote from SwampThing762:
"I know for a fact that in Mexico the people will not make efforts to speak to a gringo in English."

I cannot speak for the more urban areas but I have a couple fellow Moto Guzzi riders that regularly ride in Mexico but stick to the more rural areas. They have been blown away by the friendliness of the rural Mexicans. These riders claim that in almost all cases the local Mexicans interacted very well with them and have been extremely helpful when they have had problems. In one case one rider discovered a crack in the bike frame. After asking around he was directed to a local welder. The welder spent two hours fixing thing up while the wife furnished free cokes and a lunch meal. He was charged $5 American.
GuzziJohn

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Quote from SwampThing762:
"I know for a fact that in Mexico the people will not make efforts to speak to a gringo in English."

I cannot speak for the more urban areas but I have a couple fellow Moto Guzzi riders that regularly ride in Mexico but stick to the more rural areas. They have been blown away by the friendliness of the rural Mexicans. These riders claim that in almost all cases the local Mexicans interacted very well with them and have been extremely helpful when they have had problems. In one case one rider discovered a crack in the bike frame. After asking around he was directed to a local welder. The welder spent two hours fixing thing up while the wife furnished free cokes and a lunch meal. He was charged $5 American.
GuzziJohn

Guzzijohn,

Then your friends should make note of those places.  I have been to Mexico multiple times, and not to the tourist traps of Acapulco and Cozumel, and the locals never spoke to me in English.      I have no axe to grind against Mexicans other than enter the nation legally and speak English when you get here.   My experiences are my facts.  I am glad that things worked out well for your friends.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
How does the saying go, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Of course if what the "Romans" do ain't your thing it may be best to sit back and just observe...silently.

But come on people! Learn the  language of the land any where you go. Seems to me to be just a matter of common sense, not to mention plain common courtesy and respect.

In the Navy, I always tried to learn enough of the language in order to order a meal, sweet talk a honey, hail a cab, and get a room for the night. 8)

People are always much cooler when you can find some common ground.

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Mexicans kill black children almost every day in Southern California, and here you have this dull witted, affirmative action Negro
PEOPLE kill PEOPLE almost everyday in LA.  I was born, raised and chewed every block of LA county including all the surrounding counties, back when LA was a great place to live. YES people, it WAS a great place to live AT ONE TIME. Racism and ignorance are very unbecoming sir, If your going to represent MY home town please put your best foot forward.

Finisher

Offline guzzijohn

It would seem like common sense. It has always been somewhat of a problem. Both of my parents were born here but their parents immigrated from Germany. Neither of my parents learned English until they started attending grade school and only German was spoken at home. Pretty much through the 70s at any family gathering German was primarily language spoken.
GuzziJohn

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Quote from finisher:

It would seem like common sense. It has always been somewhat of a problem. Both of my parents were born here but their parents immigrated from Germany. Neither of my parents learned English until they started attending grade school and only German was spoken at home. Pretty much through the 70s at any family gathering German was primarily language spoken.
GuzziJohn

One thing is at home, but out in public is another story. I think it is the coolest thing when I go to the home of people who I know speak perfect English with no detectable accent and then suddenly they start tearing off in another language to a relative.

It's even cooler when there are two or more languages spoken and everyone in the room speaks perfect English (it's rare, but it does happen).

NOW THAT'S what  AMERICA is all about!!! ;)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
English is the official airline language.
English is the official scientific language.
English is the official business language.
English is the official internet language.

Why, because English speaking countries are the most dominant in the worlds economy. 

English is the official language of India, because it was a former Brittish colony and because it is a common bond for their 7 main languages.  English is also the official language of almost all former Brittish colonies in Africa as well as Austrailia, New Zealand, Canada, etc. 

Over 800 million people in the world either speak English or have been taught English in school. 

English is required to graduate high school in Germany and many other European countries. 

Why is it so hard for liberals to realise making it official forces immigrants to learn the language thus breaking down barriers.