Author Topic: Chrome a Barrel???  (Read 468 times)

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Chrome a Barrel???
« on: February 06, 2004, 04:53:01 PM »
Guys:

I bought a CVA Tower pistol kit a while back...still wrapped in the cellophane.  Anyway, I thought that it might finish it off by having the sideplates and the barrel chromed...just for kicks.

Do you foresee any problems with this?  I don't think it will add that much material to the bore.  Do you think this will render the pistol useless as a shooter...and turn it into a wall-hanger?

Your thoughts please!

Thanks fellas!   ...Chris    :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
Chrome a Barrel???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 05:25:50 AM »
Howdy Chris,

As I understand it, Chrome plating involves sealing the bore off so that the chrome doesn't get into it. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you planning to do the chroming yerself? If so there's a nice article on home chrome kits and how they work on the web. If you'd like I'll get you the URL. Can't do it right now because the site where I find the link is down, but I'll post it as soon as it comes back up!
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Cuts Crooked

Chrome a Barrel???
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 05:33:04 AM »
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline John Traveler

chrome plating
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 10:26:28 AM »
I used to visit lots of plating shops in a previous job.

Cosmetic chrome plating on external surfaces is rather easy.  The problem is, most shops do a standard buffing and then acid pickle before copper plating, and then nickle plate, and then chrome as the final finish.  If metal preparation is not carefully done, lines, eges, and lettering come out blurred and overbuffed, like bad quality re-bluing.  Screw holes and critical dimensions have to be preserved with clay plugs or masking.

Plating the inside of a barrel is another matter.  It is very tricky, and involves suspending a metallic rod inside, held at both ends with insulating washers.  Acid pickle is used to prep the steel surface, and then layers of plating as before.

The actual plating thickness usually exceeds 0.001" thickness, so for critical surfaces, that much steel must be removed before the plating.

Hard chromium plating on the other hand, is much more durable and suitable for firearms, such as the insides of military gun barrels and sporting shotguns.  THAT really requires a shop that specializes in it.  Expensive too.

None of the chrome plating systems are really suited for the home hobbyist because they require solution agitation and heating, and careful control of the chemistry.

HTH
John
John Traveler

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Chrome a Barrel???
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 01:33:28 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, but I was thinking more in the line of a "Bumper Chromer".  Took a look at the do-it-yourself info...it's a bit involved for me.  I'm not much of a chemist...that's for sure!  Besides, what do you do with the waste...don't need a Superfund site in my backyard.   :lol:

From the sound of things, it looks like I'll end up with a wall hanger.  Which isn't bad...I've got plenty of nice BP handguns in my arsenal.

Thanks for the feedback!

Be Safe!  ...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew