Author Topic: Starline Nickle Plated 45 LC Brass Question  (Read 429 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Starline Nickle Plated 45 LC Brass Question
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:17:40 AM »
I load and shoot a lot of 45 LC's. Three Ruger pistols and one Encore rifle in this caliber. Up until recently all my brass has been the regular stuff from Winchester, Remington and a handfull of others. I bought 100 of the Starline nickle plated 45 LC brass for two reasons. 1- They look great, and 2- When hunting I carry my extra rounds in leather bullet loops on my belt. Regular brass doesn't do well when left in leather and will tarnish. No problem with the nickle. It's been too hot here to do any testing but my question is with my hot Ruger/TC loads. Will the POI change by using the Starline brass ? My Encore is scoped and will shoot a cloverleaf at 100 yards with 250 gr XTP's over an almost max load of Lilgun in Winchester brass. Will there be a significant pressure change with the nickle Starline to change my POI ? I know that different brands of brass in bottleneck cartridges like 25-06, 308 and others can make the POI change a lot.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Starline Nickle Plated 45 LC Brass Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:26:35 AM »
I have messed with 44 nickel cases in the past (I don't have a 44 anymore) The only difference that had issues with was some cases I don't know if it was the rockwell of the nickel or what but some of the cases needed to be sized twice. Nickel when formed really tends to holds it's shape and is very hard on cutters when machined. The plating is usually .0005-.001 thick unless you go into marine products then it can get up to .004 thick. In other words the thickness on the casing of nickel isn't much to worry about especially on a stait walled casing. The reason why you see the changes in rifle rounds is due to the bends in the neck where in a cavity plating will tend to leave more material. Also if you get sctaches or gouges (spelling?) burs etc. on the nickel cases. Nickel being as tough as it is will scar the inside of reloading dies. Nickel when machined like stainless doesn't really cut it gets more pushed off and leaves a heavy burr for the most part and like metal when it gets pushed bent or form shaped it hardens. Hopefully this will give you some insite (sorry about going off on a little tangent there)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:40:08 AM »
When I resize nickle 38's or 357's I never noticed any extra force needed to do it but resizing these 45 LC nickle brass is a bit of a chore. I use a Lee hand press for all my reloading. Also some of my 308 brass was nickle and sizing wasn't bad but trimming was a chore too. I can deal with the stiffer brass I'm just concerned about a change in POI. Reckon I'll find out for sure when I start checking my rifle in preparation for deer season.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »
ky

You'll see more of a change in batches of powder or primers than the case in a round like the 45 colt , I shoot both Nic & brass in mine and can't tell a difference in the 2 .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped