Author Topic: $400 gone  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
$400 gone
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
I bought a Ruger LC9 last night at Gander Mountain.  That's the gun I said I'd never buy because it wasn't that much smaller than my SR9c.  I had never actually seen one when I made that statement.  Saw one, picked it up, the salesman let me pull the trigger and dry fire it.  It sounded like someone else saying, "I'll take it." 
Ain't shot it yet but I sure do like it.  If any gun has ever felt just right in my hand, this one is it.  The long trigger pull is there, just like all the reviews say, but it's easier to pull than any revolver I've ever shot.  I hated the thoughts of the safety on such a gun, but finding how easy it is to pull the trigger, I'm glad it's there and I'll use it. 
I will get back with a range report after Wednesday.   

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
$400 gone
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
I have an LC9 as well. Got it right after they came out. Very accurate little gun!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: $400 gone
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:03:02 AM »
Don'tcha hate when that happens......that's exactly why I own an SR9....noooo...no plastic guns for meeee.....I'm a purist...blued steel or..dare I say alu-minium at the least....and then.....the SR9 that fits like it was created just for my hand.......my 1911s and HPs are disappointed in me....... :'(
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:16:31 AM »
The trigger on mine was poor the first 100 shots then it got better or i got used to it  ;D .
I hate to tell ya but the SR-22 is a great gun to pratice with ................ and save 9mm ammo.
Does yours have a laszer ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 05:58:17 AM »
I've got the truck loaded with 1 gallon water jugs.  Some of them are dressed in denim.  According to what I've read about the FBI's criteria, a bullet that can't pass through 4 layers of denim and still expand, is no good.  I intend to find out.  I will post pics of the results.  My current favorite ammo (based on advertising hype) is Hornady's Critical Duty, which is supposed to pass through denim, windshield glass, interior walls and car doors and still expand after penetrating more than 14 inches.  I'm gonna test that tomorrow if it doesn't rain.  Well, not really.  I am going to shoot through the denim and a 3/4 inch piece of plywood.  I'm sort of short on windshield glass and car doors. 
Look for a post tomorrow. 
Mike

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:04:13 AM »
Back from the range.  I first ran some hardball through the LC9 to get a feel for it.  It was liking shaking a friend's hand.  I have no complaint with the trigger.  Easier than a revolver in double action mode.  I chose for my target a football size rock at 35 yards.  All of my 124 grain hardball sent chips flying from that rock.  So good so far.  Now for some penetration/expansion test from the little gun.
5 water jugs, first dressed in the standard 4 layers of denim.  My chosen ammo was Hornady's Critical Duty 135 grain +P.  So much favorable information about that round on the Internet; passed all the FBI's requirements and all that.  Good expansion after passing through barriers, clothing being one. 
Not so for me.  It penetrated great.  I  found the bullet on the ground after it had passed through all jugs.  It was a tad deformed, but I certainly would not have called it mushroomed.  I think maybe that cartridge is designed more with barriers in mind than classic expansion. 
In compariston, my brother fired his 2" five shot Smith at the same set up, using 125 grain Speer Gold Dot ammo.  His bullet also passed through the denim and all the jugs.  We found it intact, no expansion whatsoever.  It looked like a new bullet ready to be reloaded.  The hollowpoint was packed with denim.  Gold Dot is good stuff in my experience.  I think maybe the little 1 /78 Smith barrel is too short to allow enough velocity for good performance.
Anyway, we're collecting more jugs and going back tomorrow with different ammo.  I'm thinking Winchester Ranger, non-+P for the LCP, maybe try both 124's and 147's. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:14:36 AM »
Mine has the 147 non +P ranger and it feeds fine but seems heavy . I tried some Federal 135 personal defense and it would not feed in my LC-9 not from any magazine or even the first round and the round looked good . Hope the Winchester works .

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »
That's what I bought, SHOOTALL.  Loaded her up and I agree, feels heavier than the 124's but not so much to change my mind if they shoot well.
My target for tomorrow is plastic garbage bags filled with wet whole oats, the kind you feed your horsey.  (In my case, goats.)  I got 'em packed into a cardboard box; will put the denim on the box and try those 147's.  I'm not the wealthiest fellow on my street, and didn't want to spring for 20 more water jugs.  Already had the goat feed, and they'll still eat it after I get the bullets out.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:58:10 AM »
Well, back from the range.  This time my brother and I fired into 4 layers of denim taped to plastic bags full of wet oats and cracked corn.  So far (including the first trip with denim and water jugs) we've learnd that his 2" .38 and my 3.2" LC9 ain't got the velocity to expand bullets tried to any great extent. 
In the .38: 
 +P 125 grn. Gold Dots, no expansion. 
+P 110 grain Critical Defense, limited expansion, but consistent. 
In the LC9:
Critical Duty 135 grain, very conistent expansion, but limited.  Proabably less than .45 
Winchester Ranger 147 grain T series, non +P.   Very nearly useless.  Recovered bullets showed no deformity at all.
We changed from 4 layers of denim to 2 layers.  No change.  All but the Critical Defense and Critical Duty got plugged up. 
I'll keep and carry the LC9, but I ain't finished testing loads.  One I haven't tried yet is a plain old 124 grain +P.  In the meantime, I hope my aggressor is not wearing denim.     

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
 Once Ruger got mine to stop misfiring and I got rid of the magazine lock, I began liking mine.  Shoots better than I can, feeds well with any halfway decently shaped hollowpoint and literally vanishes in my front pocket.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:56:16 AM »
Removed mag lock ?

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
I guess he means the magazine cutout safety.  I hate the idea of adding more stuff on a pistol to keep it from going bang.  I'm glad my model of M&P was a year before they added the mag cutout safety.  The safety between my ears is the only safety device it needs!

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »
Yep, you can "fix" the magazine disconnect thing on the LC9 and the SR9.  It's just another of Ruger's safety features.  If the magazine is out, the gun won't fire.  That's too much safety in my opinion.  But, it only comes with one magazine.  Unless we spend the $40 for an extra one, the disconnect safety ain't no thing.  I mean if you only have the ammo that's in the gun, taking the magazine out before the gun is empty is a  non issue.  Me, I carry no spare.  My reload is an NAA .22M.     

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »
so how do ya remove it ?
I carry extra ammo.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:34 AM »
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
 I bought a used LC9, to help a guy moving, kept it for about two days, never shot it, sold it. It just didn't point right in my hand. I have to put an arched MS housing on a 1911 to even get it to point right. But the LC9s have good reviews.
 I have found the Corbon 115 +P DPX to work like a champ in any barrel length. I've never shot it in anger, but several operators have and it works. I "have" shot critters with them, in several handgun calibers; awesome. In a .380, I hear they work well, but I always carried the Buffalo Bore +P 100gr  Hard cast in every .380 I ever had. When I tried a PF9 I left .380s behind, although I enjoyed shooting the SIG 238 and M84 Beretta.
 I also used MagSafe rounds in .45 and the 9mm "Glock 26" load, and they also work. Of course, they are "peaches/nectarines",being prefrags, but they will go through obstacles also and do damage on other side. Goodluck to you...but try those Corbon 115 +P DPX and see how that works for you. PowerBall is another good one in short barrels. I carry my G29 with the first 3 up 135 PowerBall followed by Buffalo Bore 155 XPB "just because", but that's in 10mm. I long ago went exclusively to the 115 DPX in 9mm. (Can you tell I'm trying to get you to try Corbon +P 115 DPX? Subtle, ain't I? ha)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »