Author Topic: Holsters what do you prefer  (Read 1539 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Holsters what do you prefer
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
I'm in the market for concealed carry holster (s) I have a Bersa 380, a Taurus Model 85, and a NAA mini Magnum.  The NAA will be in a pocket holster, and I'm thinking IWB type for the Bersa, and am undecided about the Taurus.

What holster types do you prefer, and why?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline dougk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Re: Holsters what do you prefer
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
I prefer the Sparks Versa Max 2 because of its tuckable ability.

You might want to look at Crossbreed holsters, I have seen alot of good reviews and thewy have a site dedicated to seconds.

Doug

Offline DDZ

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »
If you want a pretty holster than don't look at the crossbreed, but if you want something that will cause you to not want to use any of your other holsters, then check out a crossbreed. Not to say there isn't something out there that is as comfortable, but its the most comfortable I have found. I carry a full size 1911 in one, and a SP101 in one. I think the crossbreed makes both of them an easy carry.  Don't forget a good belt is key also.
Crossbreed will let you try the holster for two weeks, and if you don't like it they will buy it back. Kind of tells me something about their product. I have my doubts that very few, if any are bought back.  Its also guaranteed as long as you own it against any failure from normal use. For the money I think its an awesome holster. Even if it cost twice as much as it does, I would still think its an awesome holster.     
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline keith44

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
if I wanted a pretty holster I would be looking at a custom rig with basket weave and a high luster that rides low, slightly below the hip...like my Ruger .41 Mag rides in...no a concealed holster, IMO, needs to be more functional than pretty.

I looked at crossbreed holsters web site, and I will be giving them a call.  The mini tuck and mini slide look to be what I am wanting
Life member NRA

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
I like IWB models.  Nothing else hides as well for me, plus they are instant on and off.  Except I don't wear them actually inside the pants, which requires pants that are too large for you.  I put the holster between my pants and my belt.  A t-shirt covers up a gun so concealed. 
Of course it's a different matter for holsters not meant for concealment, like field carry or hunting.  Then I want a quality leather item that protects the gun. 

Offline rod251

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »
For my NAA mini magnum I use a leather pocket holster made by Joe Shannon. It functions well and is pretty to boot.  I got it on the 'Bay. I have a few holsters for my S&W Model 60 (same size as your Taurus) but the one I use the most is my Stealth Holster. In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this.

Offline keith44

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll give the stealth a look for the revolver.

Rod251,  my NAA mini-Magnum has the 1 5/8 barrel, what barrel length did you choose?  I was just getting ready to order the factory offered pocket holster.  What advantage would yours have over that one?  Other than looking better of course.
Life member NRA

Offline rod251

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »
I have the 1 5/8" too. NAA offers a nylon pocket holster and a leather one made by DeSantis. I would think Joe's leather holster would be more rugged than NAA's nylon version. As for the DeSantis, the only advantages mine has over it are better looks and cheaper price tag. I would think they function the same. I think I gave around $20 for mine.  Joe's craftsmanship is top-notch.

Offline rod251

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
Forgot to add, the Stealth Holster would probably work for your Bersa as well as your M85.  Once you get it adjusted to your liking you will forget you have it on. I wear mine with the gun left of center, riding over my left thigh.

Offline keith44

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
thanks for the quick reply Rod, leather is my top choice for all holsters.  I've tried a few nylon / synthetic holsters in the past and do not like the poor retention qualities.
Life member NRA

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 05:25:22 AM »
thanks for the quick reply Rod, leather is my top choice for all holsters.  I've tried a few nylon / synthetic holsters in the past and do not like the poor retention qualities.

That is a great point Keith....  Because of my negative experience with nylon pocket holsters I only use leather for every day carry (pocket and IWB).

For hunting using outside the waste band and bandolier I use both nylon and leather.

Doug

Offline Goldstar225

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 12:38:26 AM »
For the best concealment, Crossbreed Supertuck.  It's the most comfortable and concealable IWB holster I've ever used.  For pocket carry, have a look at a Mika pocket holster.  For such an inexpensive holster it does a great job.  For an outside the waistband holster I'm using a Don Hume 721 OT.  It's OK but I would prefer more rake. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 03:08:40 AM »
I carry in my front pocket and use a Blackwater holster . It has a plastic shield on the outside to beakup the outline of the gun. I hate IWB holsters and seldom use them . A pancake type , a yaki slide , a paddle all seem beter . BUT if in weather where a jacket is in order a shoulder rig from Galco is my favorite way to carry a larger than pocket gun.
I HATE MY PANTS TO FALL DOWN WHEN I DRAW !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 05:30:08 AM »
 www.jsholsters.com  IWB, has a great retension screw, thin kydex, easy on/off works with jeans or slacks. Only about $65 shipped. I've had many through the years, and these are excellent. I don't care for any IWB that has a metal clip, it just tears up your clothes/kitchen chairs,etc. The JS is all one piece kydex, very clothes friendly...did I mention thin? Good luck pard.

Offline keith44

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies SHOOTALL, and RevJim.  My very limited exposure to Kydex holsters, several years ago was not a good one.  I am sure they have improved now, or they would not be on the market these days.
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies SHOOTALL, and RevJim.  My very limited exposure to Kydex holsters, several years ago was not a good one.  I am sure they have improved now, or they would not be on the market these days.

? I hate plastic holsters myself other than the pcs added to my leather pocket holster  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
I like sans-a-holsters.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SD Handgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »
I have used the Crossbreed Mini Tuck for a Kel Tec P-11. Currently I am using a DeSantis Intruder for my Glock Model 26.
Both Holsters have been super comfortable to wear and at times I have forgotten I have had them on.
The Crossbreed uses a heavy piece of leather backing with the rough side towards you skin. At first I thought it would be abrasive, but never had an issue with it. The DeSantis uses two pieces of leather stitched together with the smooth side out (ie towards you skin also). When I get hot and sweaty the smooth leather actually sticks to the skin and is really annoying.
The Crossbreed uses metal belt clips that secure the holster to your belt. They worked great. The DeSantis uses polymer / kydex belt clips to secure the holster to your belt. These were a total pain as they were so rigid I all but had to use a screw driver to pry them off of my belt. I have since replaced the polymer / kydex belt clips with metal ones I bought online.
There are several of these types of holsters on the market. Another one I keep reading really good things about is the Galco Kingtuck, but I have not had the opportunity to actually look at and handle one.
Larry

T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline keith44

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
Thanks, Larry

I appreciate the first hand side by side comparison
Life member NRA

Offline SD Handgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
You are very welcome.
For an outside the waistband carry I just purchased a Bianchi Model 82 Carrylok Belt Slide Holster for my Glock Model 26. So far I am liking it a lot but using my ring finger to release the carrylok takes a bit of practice.
Larry

T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !